Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Watched the last few minutes. Tingus Pingus just dominated. When he's healthy and in form man the dude really is a unicorn. The optimist in me tells me a combo of Beal, KP, and a lotto pick with supporting players like Rui, Deni, and Kuzma might actually be worth something next year. 

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Watched the last few minutes. Tingus Pingus just dominated. When he's healthy and in form man the dude really is a unicorn. The optimist in me tells me a combo of Beal, KP, and a lotto pick with supporting players like Rui, Deni, and Kuzma might actually be worth something next year. 

worth the play-in game? Remember, that was just a really bad Lakers team they played. 

This is one of the biggest problems with the Wiz organization. Whatever issues Russ had, he was a leader and the Wiz miss that presence a lot. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Imagine if we somehow got Chet Holmgren. Porzingis + Holmgren would be the ultra rare double unicorns.

Edited by Barry.Randolphe

Kispert is better than I thought he’d be.  I thought he’d be kind of a bum early on.  He’s definitely an nba player and I was wrong.  He’s going to come off the bench for some team for the next ten years easily unless he pulls a Bertans and stops working after landing a good contract.

Problem is that we keep hitting on useful role players when what we need is stars and real starting caliber talent.  I sincerely thought Rui would be that, but while his numbers look good this year I’m not seeing any fight in him.  I don’t know what to make of him.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Destino said:

Kispert is better than I thought he’d be.  I thought he’d be kind of a bum early on.  He’s definitely an nba player and I was wrong.  He’s going to come off the bench for some team for the next ten years easily unless he pulls a Bertans and stops working after landing a good contract.

Problem is that we keep hitting on useful role players when what we need is stars and real starting caliber talent.  I sincerely thought Rui would be that, but while his numbers look good this year I’m not seeing any fight in him.  I don’t know what to make of him.  

His situation is starting to remind me of Naomi Osaka, and watching how her situation plays out could give a clue to Rui's future.

Without knowing what or if he's been diagnosed with a mental health disorder or his current treatment, it's hard to say how much of that is a factor in the already high amount of pressure of being a sports star in America from Japan while also being mixed.  It's really hard to put into words how badly those three things don't mix well, and we are already seeing that in two people, not just Rui, so he's not an anomaly. 

My gut says trade him now versus seeing if ever meets his expectations before his trade value drops any lower then it already is.  If he figures it out, good for him, and I hope he does, but in the meantime, for better or worse, it's our problem, and we have enough problems as it is.

We might not be the best organization for helping him through that, in all honesty. I'm convinced the main reason we drafted him was to help get a foot in the Japanese market (same with Adjvea for the Isreali market), and if he can't handle that, don't force it for money's sake.

Edited by Renegade7

34 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

and if he can't handle that, don't force it for money's sake.

I would be shocked if Ted allowed Rui to be traded. Ted is all about making more money overseas. I do think there is a conflict between the coaching staff and ownership on what to do with him. 

• Like 1

Wasn't Wall asked a similar question back in the day?

I don't like his answer, much for reasons already stated, but honestly, I don't like them asking players that question either. 

He was trapped between avoiding the question with cliches and being honest, don't ask him that question if you don't want him to answer it.