Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So if he practices for a week before returning, that would put him back at exactly 6 weeks right?  When is the last time an injured Wizard had a good recovery that happened on schedule?  I don't want to get my hopes up yet.

And of course Otto gets injured right as Wall is about to come back.  He was playing very well and I expect the hip injury to linger even when he returns.

Wizards need everyone healthy and soon.  The schedule is a nightmare obviously but more importantly they need time on the court together so they aren't a mess when the playoffs start.  Especially Wall and Otto.  Beal has been great, but he can't handle the work load that he's been given during Wall's absence.  "Everybody eats" has helped, but he's still dead on his feet near the end of games and he's not a great fit as the teams primary distributor.  The Wizards need Otto and Beal to play as good as they've been without Wall... but with Wall. 

Easier said than done.  There's a style of play and usage issues that need to get worked out. 

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Just be healthy for the playoffs. We won't get a top 2 seed anyway but we can beat anyone in the first two rounds if healthy homecourt or not.

Not Cleveland.  Have to make sure we don't fall to 6th if they hang on to the third.  If they fall to fourth and Indy starts to pull away, then we should tank for sixth.

Best situation of all is to get the three seed, but that's going to be hard.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not Cleveland. 

You're really pushing me to the point of wanting to do sig bet or somethin.  This is getting old, man, I'm tired of trying to avoid them, we have to beat them to get what we want.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CrypticVillain said:

I don't want to see us play Cleveland becasue I don't want Renegade to have a mental breakdown if we lose. Lol

Please, like that''d be the worst thing that's ever happened to me.  I'm f'n a Redskins for crying out loud, Wizards couldn't break me if they tried : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You're really pushing me to the point of wanting to do sig bet or somethin.  This is getting old, man, I'm tired of trying to avoid them, we have to beat them to get what we want.

I'd much rather face them in the ECF than the first round no matter what.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'd much rather face them in the ECF than the first round no matter what.

Image result for nodding approval

That's more then fair, all things considered.  The more time we have to gel and Wall to get right, the better.  Is that what you're really worried about?

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It's going to be amazing when you lose to Indiana in the first round..

I still don't believe you have list of every "stupid" thing we've ever said in here since Wall went out.  

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Getting Cleveland in the 1st would be a death sentence. The refs would never allow us to take down the king in the first. 

Sure they would.  It would make his decision to bounce out of Cleveland a lot easier.  The rest of the playoffs has his shadow on it by the speculation of where he'll go or not be going.

The playoffs were so bad last year, it didn't do anything to help the league.  The NBA offseason is bananas, IMO I think free agency speculation, hype and drama does more for the league than the playoffs can, unless there are some awesome game 7 battles.  

LeBron getting to the finals is old news, IIRC, he's been in the finals every year this decade.  Now LeBron shifting the power structure in the NBA later on this summer is a story that can keep the NBA in front of everyone into July.  

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sure they would.  It would make his decision to bounce out of Cleveland a lot easier.  The rest of the playoffs has his shadow on it by the speculation of where he'll go or not be going.

The playoffs were so bad last year, it didn't do anything to help the league.  The NBA offseason is bananas, IMO I think free agency speculation, hype and drama does more for the league than the playoffs can, unless there are some awesome game 7 battles.  

LeBron getting to the finals is old news, IIRC, he's been in the finals every year this decade.  Now LeBron shifting the power structure in the NBA later on this summer is a story that can keep the NBA in front of everyone into July.  

Lebron losing to Curry again, sure. Not to friggin wizards man. 

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We won't fall to 6. At worst we fall to 5.

We will play the Cavs in the ECF. 3 seed vs 4 or 5 seed.

I'm not as certain that the Wizards won't slip in the standings.  I think it's surprising that they haven't done so already.  With Otto injured, Wall still out, and Beal being played too many minutes it's starting to feel like a matter of time before they hit a skid.  Point is, I expect them to slide but what I can't say is how far.  3 games is all that separates them from 8th place in the standings and the schedule is doing us no favors.  We're @miami and @Boston, both of which are on the back end of a B2B.  Those look like schedule losses to me.  We also get @Houston and @Cleveland in April. 

Dropping to 5th place is fine if we get everyone healthy before the playoffs start.  I think a healthy motivated John Wall can get us over Oladipo and (Ernie's bane) Bojan.  Better still if Toronto ends in 1st because I think most Wizards fans would rather go through Toronto than either Boston, or worse, Cleveland. 

Dropping further is where things get tricky and there's only 1.5 games of room between the Wizards and 6th place.  Here's the remaining strength of schedule for the relevant teams and where that remaining SOS ranks.

Pacers .566 (3rd)

Wizards .525 (10th)

Cavs .472 (23rd)

Heat .470 (24th)

Bucks .463 (26th)

76ers .405 (30th)

It wouldn't be out of the question for both Indy and Washington to tumble out of 4th/5th.