Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Center play hasn't hurt us nearly as much late as Beal's hero ball imo.  Since he came back in, the Wizards offense has become nothing but Beal making or missing tough shots.  He's missed a lot.

Little from column a little from column b. That hero ball **** killed the offense. And Marcin allowed like 20 points straight in the paint in the 4th. 

Brooks and Beal lost this game.  The team is playing great, moving the ball, and builds a huge lead.  We get halfway through the 4th and all that goes out the window because we have a moron head coach playing stupid lineups and a SG doing his best Melo impersonation. 

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Little from column a little from column b. That hero ball **** killed the offense. And Marcin allowed like 20 points straight in the paint in the 4th. 

Gortat -8.  Beal-20.  Seems like a lot more from column B. 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Brooks and Beal lost this game.  The team is playing great, moving the ball, and builds a huge lead.  We get halfway through the 4th and all that goes out the window because we have a moron head coach playing stupid lineups and a SG doing his best Melo impersonation. 

Gortat -8.  Beal-20.  Seems like a lot more from column B. 

I missed the game, but this boxscore from the last 8:52 courtesy of bullets forever has to be a misprint right?

ottochart.PNG

That box score makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

Also more from BulletsForever:

In case you missed it in the box score above, Otto Porter did not take a shot over the final 8:52 of regulation. This season, he’s only attempted THREE SHOTS in the final five minutes of games in which the margin is five points or less. At some point, the team’s gotta realize that’s not right.

I was really hoping to like Scott Brooks more this season but he's killing me. 

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Gortat's an anchor.  He's the point of failure on defense and he provides nothing of significant value on offense.  Especially without John spoonfeeding him easy pick and roll baskets.  He was the player most responsible for Portland's crunch time run.

Who did provide any value on offense in the final 9 minutes?  

I'm entirely unconvinced that the run was all on Gortat.  He was bad, but I can't remember anyone but Otto that wasn't.  Morris got abused and their guards got into the lane with no resistance at all.  I also think you're downplaying the effect our offense missing so many shots had on our defense.  It let the Blazers get out and run.  

I do agree that we desperately need an upgrade at center.  If the team is going to be this awful to close out games a big rangy defensive center would be a miracle.  Unfortunately that money was already spent on the Mahinmi, our back up center that has more fouls than points so far this season.  56 points, 57 fouls. 16 million bucks. 

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Mike Scott got another DNP?

what did he do to get in the doghouse?

Kieff is back.  He's a victim of the numbers game at forward.  If he could play center he'd play.

At some point we're going to have to embrace small ball and play Kieff at C and give Scott regular minutes because Gortat and Mahinmi are that bad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Destino said:

I'm entirely unconvinced that the run was all on Gortat.  He was bad, but I can't remember anyone but Otto that wasn't.  Morris got abused and their guards got into the lane with no resistance at all.  I also think you're downplaying the effect our offense missing so many shots had on our defense.  It let the Blazers get out and run.  

Morris got abused on two plays by Nurkic because Beal and Gortat hung him out to dry.  He was helping on Nurkic because Gortat was out of position and Beal bailed on the switch onto Nurkic leaving Morris guarding two.  It's a problem that T-Rex armed Morris is setting up in deep position in half court defense because Gortat's ass is lost out on the perimeter.  And he is useless when he's around the basket anyway.

Gortat is beyond bad, he's done.  I was hoping the cliff was further down the road but with Wall missing games, it's here.  Wall was just camouflaging it.  Gortat is in the same stage of uselessness that Bogut was in his last year or two with Golden State, except without the 20 minutes of respectable defense a game.  He's not a starting caliber C any more and the only reason he's held onto the spot is because Wall's PnR game is so devastating.  Gortat can not make a net positive contribution without him.

If I were Brooks, I'd bench Gortat and start Mahinmi just to see if that could motivate him to try.  We don't have much to lose at the position.

If I were Ernie, I'd trade them both.  They're holding us back big time.

We have two options to deal with our center issue:

1 - Play small and give 30 minutes at the five a night to players other than Mahinmi and Gortat.

2 - Make a trade for a new starter.

It's 100% gortat. The hero ball between wall and beal is ridiculous, but that's on Brooks for not shutting that down. We could still win with that more often than not, but it's bad nonetheless. 

But Marcin, man. He should have been traded 2 years ago when he still had value. But Ted didn't want to hurt his feelings by throwing his name out on the market. It's the reason we targeted Horford only, when whiteside and Howard were available. ( Horford wanted to play the 4, and Marcin was ok with this). It's the reason we picked up a career backup in mahinmi. He's been terrible for 3 years, and now he is absolutely holding this team back. I guarantee you, we could win just as many games-if not more- by starting Ian, and backing him up with smith and some practice squad biff like ochefu. He provides no rim protection, can't jump, and God forbid the opposing center stands more than 7 feet from the basket.