Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

40 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

really wanted us to get Noel

I said it at the time, we should have been all over that Nurkic trade. Denver got swindled (they gave up a first round pick to trade Nurkic). And the trade was intra-division. We could have gotten that deal for him. 

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Agreed.  He's a step slow defensively.  He's been swiss cheese all year. 

I really think he should be traded this offseason. 

His contract is very team friendly. I do not think he needs to be traded this offseason but next offseason, try and do an S&T for Boogie.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

For those who didn't watch the game, yes, the Warriors were trying to show us up last night.  They left their starters in to pump up their stats and embarrass our second and third stringers.  They were bombing threes up until the very end.  It was a trashy move by Steve Kerr and he knows it.  And if we had realized what they were doing in the moment, we would have told one of our guys to hammer Curry on one of his late game drives.  The reason we didn't realize what was going on and react before JaVale's final shot was disbelief that the Warriors would stoop to that level.

Anyway, Karma's a **** and their little display last night is the kind of thing that's just begging the Basketball Gods for a Steph Curry high ankle sprain.

THen let them get their karma. At the end of the day, these grown men are being paid millions of dollars. Stop them. What is classless is asking players to injure opponents.

The Warriors did their job yesterday and the Wizards could not stop them. That is it.

This is not youth league basketball. Fans need to lose that mentality.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

i wish my team was good enough to toy with top 4 playoff seed

Same.

You don't want someone running up the score? Play some D. You're getting paid millions of dollars too.

This ain't Little League.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

really wanted us to get Noel

He would have been an ideal fit but the issue with him was paying him this summer.  As is, I'm not sure we're going to be able to scrounge up 9 million a year to keep Bogdanovich.  We definitely wouldn't be able to pay Noel 20+.

The truth is our owner is not going to pay for a Cleveland style roster so we have to make do with bargain bin role players now that Wall, Beal, and Porter are going to be on max contracts.  That's why I didn't want to trade the first round draft pick this year.  I'm going to be pissed if we did that and don't even keep Bogdanovich.

34 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

THen let them get their karma. At the end of the day, these grown men are being paid millions of dollars. Stop them. What is classless is asking players to injure opponents.

The Warriors did their job yesterday and the Wizards could not stop them. That is it.

This is not youth league basketball. Fans need to lose that mentality.

Eh, class matters.  Maybe you don't think so, but I guarantee the coaches and players do.  You don't show up your opponents no matter what level you're playing.  That's not obvious to you?

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The truth is our owner is not going to pay for a Cleveland style roster so we have to make do with bargain bin role players now 

Are we sure about this? I thought that he was ok doing it with the Nats? Serious inquiry as the only team he owns that I follow is this one. 

I think it would be silly for him to take that approach at this point. I dont profess to know exactly how the tax works, but I would be surprised if building a sure winner wouldn't offset it. And with Wall and Beal already here we are only a few pieces away. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Are we sure about this? I thought that he was ok doing it with the Nats? Serious inquiry as the only team he owns that I follow is this one. 

I think it would be silly for him to take that approach at this point. I dont profess to know exactly how the tax works, but I would be surprised if building a sure winner wouldn't offset it. And with Wall and Beal already here we are only a few pieces away. 

Caps, right? 

Caps have about $16 dollars in cap space.  They are right up against the edge.  10 UFAs this summer, if I remember correctly, and PLENTY of hard decisions to make this offseason.  If they don't win the cup this year, they never will.  It's the best team that's ever been assembled hockey-wise here in DC. 

Back to basketball for a minute, Scott Brooks has to figure something out to get this team to even be mediocre at playing defense.  Not sure what happened post all-star break, but they are not competitive on that end of the floor.  Overall team scheme used to be enough to hide Gortat and some of his deficiencies, but when nothing is clicking, it makes everything that much worse.  If they can't defend on the perimeter or in the paint, we're done.  Hopefully, it's just a matter of Brooks trying different things out, but giving up 115-120+ points per night ain't gonna cut it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Caps, right? 

Caps have about $16 dollars in cap space.  They are right up against the edge.  10 UFAs this summer, if I remember correctly, and PLENTY of hard decisions to make this offseason.  If they don't win the cup this year, they never will.  It's the best team that's ever been assembled hockey-wise here in DC. 

Back to basketball for a minute, Scott Brooks has to figure something out to get this team to even be mediocre at playing defense.  Not sure what happened post all-star break, but they are not competitive on that end of the floor.  Overall team scheme used to be enough to hide Gortat and some of his deficiencies, but when nothing is clicking, it makes everything that much worse.  If they can't defend on the perimeter or in the paint, we're done.  Hopefully, it's just a matter of Brooks trying different things out, but giving up 115-120+ points per night ain't gonna cut it. 

I feel dumb now as I really thought he owned the Nats. 

Gortats feet dropped off a cliff. He cant move anymore and Wall likes to run perimeter players into help inside. There aint none and thats the issue. We are going to have to consider starting Ian. Really no other way to get past the second round with Gortat starting.  

Edited by Llevron

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You mean the Caps?  I don't know about them, I don't really follow hockey.

As far as the Wizards's revenue, it's probably not as much as you'd think.  I bet the growth in revenue doesn't keep up at anywhere near the pace of the growth in valuation, even for the best teams.  I can understand how operating at big losses over a period of several years is unacceptable if you're planning to keep your stake in the team.  And that's probably what we'd be doing if we got deep into the tax over the next several years.

Cleveland operated at a huge loss last season and they won the championship.  Nobody except the Lakers and apparently somehow the Knicks are immune from revenue issues.  And one thing to keep in mind is that I'm pretty sure the Wizards have one of the smallest fan bases in the NBA.  I would be shocked if we were higher than bottom five in the league in our ability to generate revenue.  And you can't grow a massive fan base overnight.

• Like 1

Wizards current ownership has never paid the luxury tax, I think, so they're going to have to make some hard/creative decisions this summer about the roster. 

Gortat

Porter

Bobo

Mac

Ochefu

McClellan

Jennings

are all guys who have questions about their status with the team past this season...

Two other things, when you go over the luxury tax by any amount, you don't get the payouts from the other teams over the tax at the end of the year.  The money paid by tax teams gets divided up evenly among non tax teams.  It was like 3 million dollars last year.  So if you sign Bojan to a deal that puts you over the tax by say, two million dollars, not only do you have to pay the tax on that amount, but it also costs you another three million from the payments.

So keeping Bojan for like 9-10 million dollars seems a lot less reasonable when it could actually end up costing you 15-16 million in real dollars.

Lastly, there is the repeater tax to consider.  If you pay tax in three of four season, you trigger a very punitive luxury tax rate that can be crippling.  When you've got a young, expensive core whose window is just opening, you want to be very careful about when you start paying tax or risk having to break up your core a lot sooner than their on court efficacy ends.  Given that, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it to only go into the tax by one or two million in order to keep a role player on your bench.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Relating to the future cap issues...Does Oubre's improved play make Otto expendable?  Especially at the Max/near Max?

Great question...in my opinion, Oubre has turned himself into one of the best perimeter defenders in the East.  IF he can improve his 3 point shooting, I don't see why Otto wouldn't be expendable.  I think that's an area of Kelly's game that he will improve.  He puts in work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Destino said:

It's a bad look when Wall is blaming refs for a loss and then the team is complaining about the next team running up the score.  The problem is that the Wizards aren't playing great, they should focus on that.  

Voice of reason, as usual.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Relating to the future cap issues...Does Oubre's improved play make Otto expendable?  Especially at the Max/near Max?

Hell no.  Porter could end up making the leap Beal did this year after people were scared to give him max.  I have no idea what Oubre's ceiling is, but production matters, probably even more so then potential.

44 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

The only reason not to keep Otto is if he's part of a trade for Boogie. Or maybe another possible trade. But it better be good, cuz Porter is a perfect fit for this offense.

Boogie has one more year on his deal in NO, right?

Otto is going nowhere. The only question is how much will he get. There is no incentive to let him walk. We wouldn't gain any cap space doing this. No point in thinking about it. 

There are only 2 moves that can shore up the defense right now: Ian starts at the 5, and Sato takes half of marcin's minutes. The other half can be shared between oubre and smith. Serious, Marcin has been completely awful for atleast 2 months. His shot is gone, his legs are gone, defense is absolutely non existent, and he has lost 100% of his confidence. There's only 1 thing you can do to save him: bench him.

As for GS... It was running up the score. And Javale jacking a 3 with 6 seconds on the clock was par for the course. I'm just tired of the double standards around the league for certain teams...Oh Draymond can punch or kick about 20 people in the sack without a fine, but god forbid anyone on this team does but once. Washington is justified in their anger with the officiating in Utah, and anyone who says otherwise didn't see the game. It's not like saying nothing will change the officiating. 

It was bush league, and I don't ever want to hear about Golden State being justified in resting their starters for a whole game when they run up the score on a game that's been conceded. 

Edited by Skin'emAlive
  • Like 1