Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Beal was horrible, Nene's cardio failed him, and Gortat just wasn't having a good night at all. Wall was playing at 100mph and when he can do that AND hit a midrange shot he is a force of nature.

Our bigs seems to prefer finger roll layups to dunks for some reason.

Gortat does both, he's had a ton of good pick n roll finishes already for the wizards. Nene doesn't have much lift anymore and I don't think he works as well in the PNR as Gortat with Wall. Nene is much better than Gortat in ISO situations though.

The bench is a dumpster fire. Booker got pushed under the basket by Psycho T, and we never saw him again. Seraphin started ok and then imploded spectacularly. Vesely got 4 rebounds in 11 minutes... but two were off his own missed put backs on the same possession. Maynor is slow and useless in the Randy motionless offense surrounded by guys that can't shoot. Temple is an awful offensive player.

Ariza, Porter, and Harrington are needed. We should have found a way to trade for Koufos. He is so cheap for what he brings off the bench as a back up center.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

I'm mad this is the playoffs or bust year. This is more like the rebuilding year. I'm having fun watching them grow together though. Hopefully this team doesn't get exploded (at least not the starting 5) at the end of the year.

I agree it feels like its one year early. I think Beal is going to be a much more consistent allstar offensive player next season. His handles are better than I thought they'd be this year and he's showing flashes where he can take over games. If he stays healthy he could be one of the leagues best 10-15 scoring players by the end of next season. His defense has a way to go but young players don't put it all together at once.

Wall looks like he still needs some time to polish his shooting. Just like Westbrook, once he gets his midrange pull up jumper, he'll become a nightmare matchup. It feels like Walls second year was a waste of everyone's time. He regressed and whoever is developing our young players fell asleep at the wheel. This year looks like year three, he's got his shooting spots and confidence and now he's looking for consistency and the right mix of shoot/drive/pass.

A top pick in this years draft plus a new coach and GM and the wizards would be set up to be contenders. Instead they seem headed for cap problems and a thin roster. The worst case scenario is Wittman and Grunfeld extended and the team takes a step back next season. I couldn't take that, I'd have to start watching hockey.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

A top pick in this years draft plus a new coach and GM and the wizards would be set up to be contenders. Instead they seem headed for cap problems and a thin roster. The worst case scenario is Wittman and Grunfeld extended and the team takes a step back next season. I couldn't take that, I'd have to start watching hockey.

I'm feeling like we won't be bad enough this season for Ted to can Grunfeld or Wittman, so I am trying to talk myself in to thinking it will work out, but I can't do it.

I tried hockey for almost 2 seasons, it didn't hold my attention.

Wall was fantastic tonight. Beal, Nene, and Gortat were inefficient as hell and the reason Wall didn't have at least 8 assists. Wall set all of them up with great looks, they just could hit anything. Check this out:

John Wall: 37 points on 21 shots.

Nene Gortat & Beal: 33 points on 45 shots.

That's ugly.

Edited by Destino

was he setting people up and they were letting him down? Or did he just turn into a scorer. When I said Kyrie like game, I meant the 2 assists and 4 turnovers.

I was looking at some advanced stuff today, and Wall is 2nd in the NBA in setting up chances behind Chris Paul. He sets up 20.9 scoring chances a game to CP3's 22.5 or something.

I like seeing that version of him, and then add in a nice 20-21.

But if he was setting them up and they were messing up, then what can he do.

Guys were missing dunks and wide open shots that Wall was setting up. Wall was passing it well and then when no one was hitting anything and the Raptors were extending the lead he just took over. Team was only down two after Wall pulled off a reverse 4 point play in the 4th. The bench was horrible and the other starter could score.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 2

Guys were missing dunks and wide open shots that Wall was setting up. Wall was passing it well and then when no one was hitting anything and the Raptors were extending the lead he just took over. Team was only down two after Wall pulled off a reverse 4 point play in the 4th. The bench was horrible and the other starter could score.

It's all Ernie's fault.

Gortat has probably "rolled" on the pick n roll more times this year than Okafor did all of last season, makes a big difference on offense.

I REALLY like Gortats game mannn.....Unless theres some great Center that we plan on pursuing, I really hope we extend his contract. Hes not GREAT, but hes dam good. Good centers are hard to come by....

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21

Well you wouldn't want to blame the king in charge.  Right?

As long as ticket sales are good....

If Ernie is the order taker you claim him to be then he's doing us no good.  If he's the terrible GM I claim him to be then he's doing us no good.  The common theme is that Ernie Grunfeld is not good for the Wizards.  There is simply no getting around it.  

Good centers are hard to come by....

Especially for the Wizards.  

If Ernie is the order taker you claim him to be then he's doing us no good.  If he's the terrible GM I claim him to be then he's doing us no good.  The common theme is that Ernie Grunfeld is not good for the Wizards.  There is simply no getting around it. 

And if Abe Pollin and Steady Teddy are twins, it's simply no good.  There is simply no getting around it.

Yeah Nene missed easy shots at the rim, including a dunk in crunch time where he got called for basket interference. Gortat missed easy lay ups at the rim. Nene had another dunk blocked. Beal missed open threes. And Martell was oddly timid. He really didn't want to shoot the ball. He actually passed it to Wall to shoot the three early on when he had plenty of space.

I think Martell was out of it.

Wall started off hot making an early three but then he got hit with two very quick fouls and then the team had a nightare second quarter where everyone just missed everything. So Wall came out in the third and scored 18 points and took the game over and we actually had a lead when the back ups came in to close out the third and start the fourth.

I liked seeing Wall score against 1 on 2s and 1 on 3s on the break. He's an animal. He abused Kyle Lowry and he broke double teams down with ease on his drives. He was the Wall from last March tonight. I'm disappointed that no one else bothered to show up.

• Like 1

I couldn't take that, I'd have to start watching hockey.

Believe me, it's only marginally less painful.  McPhee is an asshat just like Grunfeld and he's been employed longer, sigh.  It's the Leonsis mentality, as long as people go to games, who cares about anything else.  But you would get to see the best athlete in D.C. in the midst of one of the greatest goal scoring stretches in the past 20 years.

Hockey is one of those games though, where you have to understand the little things that lead up to goals.  You gotta give it more than a couple games to get into it.  I think basketball is easier to pick up.  Same thing with baseball, people who watch two games, it's like, there's too much going on for you to get it in two games.

I'm almost convinced as long as Leonsis owns the Capitals and Wizards, there will be no threat of championships.  No accountability.

Also, Wittman's rotations are painful to watch.  To the point where I almost miss Eddie Jordan.

Edited by Sticksboi05

Part of me is glad grad school is making me miss a lot of games, just by reading some comments here. I've only see the backups play a few times but good god. I watched Maynor try to play basketball at the end of the 1st Q last night. It looked like the 4 stooges and Webster. Ariza and Harrington can't come back soon enough. I'd say Porter too since I just remembered he was a real person but who knows what he'll give us.

Basketball is immediately exciting and entertaining because its fast and there's stuff like dunks, but it takes a while to learn.

NBA basketball is almost as obtuse as MLB baseball IMO. The official rules are complicated and many are judgement calls. There are also a ton of unwritten rules that make up the style of the game. And the speed of play is really really fast. The plays are also more subtle and harder to even detect than football plays. Basketball is also like baseball in that the league's history is very important and you really have to learn it to be a true fan. The players themselves talk about the history of the NBA all the time and the basketball world is obsessed with sorting and ranking players and teams and accomplishments. You really don't have to know a single thing about NFL history to be a fan. It's like the NFL resets itself every September. 17 intense weeks and then hibernation.

There are people who watch basketball for years without ever truly getting it. I know because I frequently interact with them on RealGM. There are many who think you can boil a basketball game down to numbers. That's where basketball majorly differs from baseball.

Basketball is immediately exciting and entertaining because its fast and there's stuff like dunks, but it takes a while to learn.

NBA basketball is almost as obtuse as MLB baseball IMO. The official rules are complicated and many are judgement calls. There are also a ton of unwritten rules that make up the style of the game. And the speed of play is really really fast. The plays are also more subtle and harder to even detect than football plays. Basketball is also like baseball in that the league's history is very important and you really have to learn it to be a true fan. The players themselves talk about the history of the NBA all the time and the basketball world is obsessed with sorting and ranking players and teams and accomplishments. You really don't have to know a single thing about NFL history to be a fan. It's like the NFL resets itself every September. 17 intense weeks and then hibernation.

There are people who watch basketball for years without ever truly getting it. I know because I frequently interact with them on RealGM. There are many who think you can boil a basketball game down to numbers. That's where basketball majorly differs from baseball.

Lol, RealGM is the HFBoards of basketball.

Wittman's assistant Don Newman was plucked from the Spurs.

Would he be next man up if WIttman is axed?

I love this interview with the towel ripper, Gortat. Very eloquent and has a good perspective on things. I hope he sticks around

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/11/23/5136574/marcin-gortat-washington-wizards-feature-2013

Ariza's reaction is priceless