Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wittman is going to ride this team to an extension, doesn't seem fair.

I know. Just enjoy the win. Push tomorrow's problems down the road. It's easiest that way.

I have to give Randy props for two coaching decisions tonight though. First off they made a great adjustment on Lopez towards the end of the first half. They started disguising the double team and it almost totally shut him down after he had been going wild on us. Second was the decision to stick with Ariza despite his struggles. It ended up paying off with that clutch 3 he hit late.

I think he left Gortat out a little too long in the 4th, but for the most part he let our good players do their thing and it worked out.

I'd still like to see Webster promoted to the starting lineup and Ariza get moved for a high quality third big or third guard. But if the team stays as is, I think this starting five is going to end up getting very good. These guys are good basketball players and they fit really well together.

I'm so glad Nene played the way he did tonight

Me too. I've been in Nene's corner for most of his tenure here, but I was starting to get pissed about his attitude and comments to the media. It's easy to forget just how good he really is. Smartest basketball player on the team by a lot.

No joke, Derrick Rose has been one of the worst regular starters in the league this season. He's got a 2.9 PER and negative win shares, is scoring just 15 PPG on 16.8 FGA per game, and averaging only 3 rebounds and 3.8 assists against 5 turnovers per game. There's no sugar coating it. He's been horrible. Far worse than Wall was when he first got back last season.

Meanwhile Wall has been the best PG in the East so far.

No joke, Derrick Rose has been one of the worst regular starters in the league this season. He's got a 2.9 PER and negative win shares, is scoring just 15 PPG on 16.8 FGA per game, and averaging only 3 rebounds and 3.8 assists against 5 turnovers per game. There's no sugar coating it. He's been horrible. Far worse than Wall was when he first got back last season.

Meanwhile Wall has been the best PG in the East so far.

Wall/Beal has been the 2nd best backcourt in the NBA this year outside of Golden State.

Beal played 46 minutes? Randy needs to get over whatever the hell he's got against Rice Jr and just play the guy.

Randy sticks with rotations for like five or six games. Not actually a bad policy IMO. Don't want to overreact to one or two bad games.

I hope we see GRJr at some point this season though. I like Temple, but GRJr outplayed him in preseason and Beal shouldn't play the whole first quarter and the first few minutes of the second quarter. Beal has been coming out and Webster has moved to SG with Ariza coming in during the second. It's too long a stretch to play him and it means leaving him out for too long afterwards.

Wall/Beal has been the 2nd best backcourt in the NBA this year outside of Golden State.

I haven't really gotten to see Klay Thompson much this season, but Beal was actually bad in the first three games. He was ok in the fourth game, got a ton of assists and made his open shots. And was great tonight. There've definitely been better SGs so far, but I think Beal and Wall might finish the season as the NBA's top back court. They will if they keep playing like they did tonight. Especially if Curry's ankle injuries linger. Which they probably will.

Nene actually had some fire in his game late in the 4th. Pretty much the reason we got it to overtime. Really hope we can get 60+ games with him. 

The pairing of him & Gortat is working better than I thought it would.

Beal played 46 minutes? Randy needs to get over whatever the hell he's got against Rice Jr and just play the guy.

46 minutes without picking up a foul, didn't seem to hurt him energy wise. Obviously you can't live like that game to game, but for one night, its forgivable.

On a sidenote, The Unibrow is killing the league so far.

Edited by StillUnknown

Can't wait to see Porter with this group. Feels like he's the perfect fit in a lineup with Wall, Beal, Nene, and Gortat. Feels like we finally found our C for the near future in Gortat. I'm already sold on Gortat and want us to sign him to an extension.

Ariza for Jose Calderon, do you take it?

why would you take that? This team needs front court depth.

Before the season, I said 4-4 and would be good spot to be in after the first 8. It's still attainable.

I think 3-5 is the best we can really hope for but you never know. Stealing one on the road against Dallas and/or OKC would be huge. There is no chance we'll beat San Antonio. They can rest Parker and Duncan and still probably beat us.

Regardless of what happens on the Texas trip, looking ahead, we've got four games against Eastern teams we need to do well in. Two against Cleveland and one against New York and Toronto. Those teams aren't really playing well. We're going to need to beat them to start looking like a playoff team.

First wiz kids game I got a chance to watch living in Nets/Knicks country.

Weak link of the bunch is definitely backup PG at this point. Nothing against Maynor and he hit a big three near the end, but the dropoff between him and Wall changes the game.

The Nets will be championship contenders by the end of it imo. I love that we got up to challenge them, never backed down when Lopez was scoring at will.

This team has loads of talent now, its up to Randy to do what Shannahan cannot and channel it.