Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

David Lee is a bad defender (although a steady rebounder) I'm not sure he wants to draw that parallel (although he does get points in interesting ways). DX has Zeller at 6'11.5 with shoes...which is about as tall as you want your center to be, but his wing span is surprisingly bad. I'm not doubting his ability to score, but I just feel he'd end up being a center version of Jamison for us, gives us scoring, but will end up giving up just as much on the defensive end. If we were to draft him, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd definitely be one of the first to say "I told you so." I'll also happily eat crow if does pan out to be a serviceable big down the line. The LMA comparisons are kind of funny, LMA might be the best 4 in the NBA right now, nobody can actually think he'll have THAT kind of potential. I could a see a future 15-8 player but not a whole lot more. He isn't quick enough to blow by 4s, and he isn't strong enough to bang with true 5s...He could be a great big off the bench for a contender but I see just as much liabilities in his game as there are pros. I have to say that my worries may also be moot though, as I said earlier, the game is getting "smaller" so maybe it won't matter as much...But the east will have true centers to be feared in the future. Drummond would eat Zeller alive in the future, and Valuciounes (However you spell it) looked pretty good for the raptors pre-injury. Not to mention if Andrew Bynum ever gets it going, and Brook Lopez isn't a slouch either. A lot of his success will depend on if the "bigman" makes a comeback in the NBA game.

I'd rather we use w/e pick we have in either adding a quality player via a trade (and cap relief) or draft a player with unreal potential (Like Len, Gobert or Austin)...I'm going to just assume we won't have a shot at Noel and Shabazz.

I only mean that in the NBA as a 4 he wouldn't be the fastest. I don't hate his game at all. He doesn't rely on a move like many bigs (Seraphin is a great example of a limited offensive tool belt) and you can't teach that kind of variety and instinctual ability. It's rare and it absolutely translates to the NBA.

The more I see of him, the more I'm thinking he'll probably settle in as a 5 once he puts on bulk. At that position he's going to be tough to match up with defensively.

I agree with you, he's got a great feel for the game. He actually kind of reminds me of Nene in his ability to find all kinds of space to operate in the paint. Very good feel for the ball in his hands. You'll think he's completely trapped beneath the basket and he'll twist around and lay a shot in really soft.

He's pretty clean, I have a hard time seeing him be a bust. But the two things that could keep him from being an All Star are his strength level and his rebounding. They're related. His lack of strength keeps him from aggressively crashing the boards IMO. I know he's added lots of size since last year--which is where most of that video was coming from. But he's going to eventually have to get up to about 240-250 pounds of good bulk and develop a lot more strength in his upper body.

I am really loving the way Beal is playing. He's in a great zone right now. Completely different player than he showed the first month of the season.

---------- Post added January-16th-2013 at 10:59 PM ----------

Easy to see why Cousins shoots such a low percentage for a big man, he settles for way too many long jumpshots. Just because you can make them occasionally does not mean you should make your living out there.

I am really loving the way Beal is playing. He's in a great zone right now. Completely different player than he showed the first month of the season.

---------- Post added January-16th-2013 at 10:59 PM ----------

Easy to see why Cousins shoots such a low percentage for a big man, he settles for way too many long jumpshots. Just because you can make them occasionally does not mean you should make your living out there.

Beal has been spectacular, plain and simple.

Cousins cuts corners. His screens are not fundamentally good he's already looking to fade out while setting them and you can tell he's getting himself set early to take that jumper. Makes him easier to defend in the end.

Also he had one really bad miss where he had a good look at the basket, thought twice about it, ended up having to take a dribble then hoisted it out of rhythm. It's like his brain told his body, "no, you know you're not supposed to keep shooting that J."

Cousins needs a strong hand. He needs a coach like Calipari who he respects that will reel in his shot selection and he needs a strong PG like Wall to feed him in good spots and provide the leadership to keep him focused and in the flow of the game.

---------- Post added January-16th-2013 at 11:16 PM ----------

Can't believe some of you want Cousins; he has to have one of the worst shot selections I've ever seen. He is a better rebounding Andray Blatche.

Cousins is far better than Blatche.

Beal cannot miss, I love this.

---------- Post added January-16th-2013 at 11:37 PM ----------

We play 4 on 5 offense when Ariza is in the game.

I understand Ariza has defensive qualities that make him useful, but it is damn painful watching him screw up constantly on offense. Between missing point blank shot at the rim, to bad passes, and over dribbling leading to turnovers, its enough to drive me crazy.

6 three's for Beal tonight, *nba jam voice* HE'S ON FIRE *nba jam voice*

---------- Post added January-16th-2013 at 11:48 PM ----------

I cant wait to see what Crawford can bring to this unit coming off the bench.

Team playing this well without him, you gotta think if anybody gets dealt before the deadline, he's the leading candidate.