Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Can't happen unless we end up third worst. At this rate, we're guaranteed a top 5 pick.
Exactly my point. Knowing us, we're going to pass NO and wind up the 3rd worse team in the league.

You know, it's pretty amazing that in our decades long suck, we've only had a top 3 draft pick four times since 1967.

- Wall

- Kwame

- Unseld

- Monroe

Meanwhile, #6 overall has brought us:

- Vesely

- Cheaney

- Gugliotta

- Mel Turpin (though we traded that pick--after passing on Stockton, Alvin Robertson and others)

Good link:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/draft.html

(football/basketball/baseball-reference is the best site on the internet, I swear)

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

you know, it's pretty amazing that in our decades long suck, we've only had a top 3 draft pick four times since 1967.

- wall

- kwame

- unseld

- monroe

meanwhile, #6 overall has brought us:

- vesely

- cheaney

- gugliotta

- mel turpin (though we traded that pick--after passing on stockton, alvin robertson and others)

good link:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/was/draft.html

(football/basketball/baseball-reference is the best site on the internet, i swear)

g.a.c.o.l.b.!!!!!!!

No the point is not to construct the best offense built around getting Wall 20+ PPG but to construct the best team. For us to do that, we just need to take the best players. Wall can and will adjust and be happy so long as we finally start to win.

---------- Post added April-5th-2012 at 03:08 PM ----------

Wall has already proven that he can not lead us to wins shouldering the load on his own as the cornerstone of the team.

Steve believe me I also believe in taking BPA. But at this point it is'nt smart to draft MKG and hope he develops a jumpshot like the rest of these ragtags. In my opinion if we don't get #1 i'm looking to trade back unloading a salary possibly with a returning quality vet or multiple first rounders. If you could get both of Portlands picks for even #2 i'd do it. You could possibly swing a deal for Batums rights+ there higher first. Nobody in my opinion is a legit game changer in this draft but Davis. For the way this team is constructed the best fits are probably Lamb or Beal. I personally like Lamb the best he is by far a better defender, very long wingspan, constantly moves on offense,good shooter with range can spot up or score off screens. He has fallen under the radar because UConn stunk but without him they don't sniff that NCAA championship. Barnes is a good fit because of his defense,ability to finish on the break and he is a very good spotup shooter. He won't pound the ball and will fit within the flow of the offense.

I still say Drummond goes #2 even though he is a lazy turd teams just don't pass on guys his size with athletism.

Any thoughts on bringing in Stan Van since he appears to be on his way out of Orlando?

I would over some of the other retreads like McMillian, D'Antoni, Skiles etc. He will run a screen&roll game that will fit Wall in the halfcourt and will demand defense.

Wall is attacking much better tonight.

Thats about all the positives I got from this game so far.

Agreed good to see him waking up again.

Also I would absolutely take SVG here. In fact I'd be thrilled if we got him. That kind of hard nosed in your face jerk of a coach is exactly what this group of disinterested bums need. Get him some players though, he'll have a stroke coaching these guys.

Edited by Destino

Agreed good to see him waking up again.

Also I would absolutely take SVG here. In fact I'd be thrilled if we got him. That kind of hard nosed in your face jerk of a coach is exactly what this group of disinterested bums need. Get him some players though, he'll have a stroke coaching these guys.

x2.

Did you guys hear what JVG said I almost spit my water out. I guess one of the announcers said NY was the best player on the wizards and JVG said thats like being the best swimmer on the titanic.

Detroit's nearly as disinterested as we are. I can't believe how empty their place is. They're not as bad as us. What's their excuse?

Tyshaun Prince looks like a prison camp survivor. That dude is gross.

Lawrence Frank is their coach, they are one of few teams in the league who can match our offensive futility.

---------- Post added April-5th-2012 at 09:51 PM ----------

Some timely shooting and lazy defense by Detroit is making this game alot closer than it actually is.

Well... at least John played with fire tonight. Found the rim and the free throw line for a huge scoring outburst. I'm kind of past wanting to see him improve x. y. and z skills. I just want to see him caring. That scared and demoralized me more than anything else possibly could.

Greg Monroe is such an *******. I don't understand how someone can simultaneously be a nasty SOB and such a soft little *****. Oh wait yeah I do. He's a coward who only picks on guards. I don't like him. You can tell he's jealous of Wall.

Everyone needs to email this link to Ted

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2012/04/05/secret-behind-phoenix-suns-elite-training-staff/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ValleyoftheSuns+%28Valley+of+the+Suns%29&utm_content=ESPN

It's on the suns medical staff. Honestly I'm surprised more teams aren't like this when you consider the money on the line. Dan Snyder could use a reminder as well.

Greg Monroe is such an *******. I don't understand how someone can simultaneously be a nasty SOB and such a soft little *****. Oh wait yeah I do. He's a coward who only picks on guards. I don't like him. You can tell he's jealous of Wall.

Monroe definitely lost me the last time we played them a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I'm forgetting a serial killer or rapist or some epically super bum, but if not, then Monroe is the first athlete I'm embarrassed to call local.

---------- Post added April-6th-2012 at 12:45 AM ----------

Any thoughts on bringing in Stan Van since he appears to be on his way out of Orlando?

I've been wanting Spoelstra for two years now, but barring an disastrous collapse and ugly falling out with LeBron and/or D Wade, that ain't happening. So with that not being an option, SVG would easily be my top choice. Quite a few people think he's a top 5 coach. Idk about all that, but I do think he's a great coach and would love to have him.

Vessly is horrible, I wasn't high on him when we drafted him but man he's worse then I expected. Only making 2 jump shots the whole fn year I mean come on I can do that. Singleton is much better.

You're the first person I've seen who flat out hates Vesely. EVERYONE legitimately ctiticizes him for various things, but they also see some potential there. The question has been what his ceiling is. I personally think that with some added strength and an improved J (still firmly believe that anyone can learn to shoot if they put in the work, and their first name isn't Rajon) he can be a legitimate starter or worse case, a nice, top of the rotation roleplayer off the bench We'll see.

Think Nene will play tonight?

Does anyone think we're intentionally scratching him to tank? I hope not. If that's true our basketball karma will crush us in the lottery. And also, it seems more valuable to me to have him play with his new teammates and develop something to build on for next season than maybe get a few extra percentage points in the lottery.

Nene and Booker are basically proving to be two of our most valuable players. We basically have no chance of winning games without them playing.

I think they've both been ruled out for tonight already.

Intentionally not playing to tank? Nah, but they certainly aren't rushing them back just so they can re-injure themselves, especially something as finicky as plantar fasciitis.

Think Nene will play tonight?

Does anyone think we're intentionally scratching him to tank? I hope not. If that's true our basketball karma will crush us in the lottery.

It's widely known that the Clippers tanked and ended up with Blake Griffith so I don't really believe in karma.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Everyone needs to email this link to Ted

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2012/04/05/secret-behind-phoenix-suns-elite-training-staff/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ValleyoftheSuns+%28Valley+of+the+Suns%29&utm_content=ESPN

It's on the suns medical staff. Honestly I'm surprised more teams aren't like this when you consider the money on the line. Dan Snyder could use a reminder as well.

That's fascinating. Thanks for sharing that.

I agree. When you're investing millions in someone's body, it seems strange and cheap not to put everything you can into your medical staff. We should join the cutting edge here.

---------- Post added April-6th-2012 at 07:03 PM ----------

It's widely known that the Clippers tanked and ended up with Blake Griffith so I don't really believe in karma.

I think the Clippers might completely throw the balance of karma in the entire universe off.

What are the reasons Seraphin isn't being groomed to play PF? He has ideal size and soft touch around the rim. His shot mechanics aren't horrible. His only real weakness is his ball handling but that the easiest skill to learn and PF aren't asked to do much with the dribble.

Not sure if he has slow feet and lateral speed because he doesn't move much at the 5 spot.

(this game is horrible so I'm choosing to talk about something else)

Edited by Destino

What are the reasons Seraphin isn't being groomed to play PF? He has ideal size and soft touch around the rim. His shot mechanics aren't horrible. His only real weakness is his ball handling but that the easiest skill to learn and PF aren't asked to do much with the dribble.

Not sure if he has slow feet and lateral speed because he doesn't move much at the 5 spot.

(this game is horrible so I'm choosing to talk about something else)

I was wondering the same thing. I can only imagine he's been playing the 5 because we have had a lack of backup options, and he has the strength to do it. All season, we've been kind of overloaded with possible players at the 4 (Baltche, Booker, Vesely).

By playing him at the 5, it got him some extra minutes on the court.

LOL at DeMarcus Cousins's comments about Blake Griffin: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7782382/sacramento-kings-demarcus-cousins-calls-los-angeles-clippers-blake-griffin-actor-matchup

Informed of Griffin's comments afterward, the second-year Kings player took issue.

"Of course that's what Blake is going to say because he's in L.A., where actors belong,"

I enjoy Boogie and I feel like I appreciate him more than most people.

I'm still harboring a fantasy where we draft Anthony Davis and when Cousins finally hits UFA he leaves Sacramento on the first train to D.C. and gives us a Calipari core of ass kickers.

That's in what, 3 more years? Nene will be in the final year of his contract and pretty much ancient by then. Going by that, we'll need a new center...

---------- Post added April-6th-2012 at 11:51 PM ----------

Blake Griffin is such a ****.