Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

58 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Just pick Sarr or Clingan.  We need to be able to control the paint to beat any of these playoff teams.  None of these guards or wings are going to be transcendent players.  Get the foundation big and try again for the elite perimeter player next year.

Trying to win with the kinds of bigs we've had for the past 30 years is like trying to win in the NFL with total garbage for your OL and DL.  It's just never going to happen.  Get off the treadmill and pick a big that's actually worth building around.  Then hedge your bets with Edey in the late first just in case he's the next Jokic.  I swear to God if we talk ourselves into some soft ass Euro wing because we think we've got something with Kuzma and Bagley, I will never watch another Wizards game again.

We could draft Clingan at number two or wait until he bounces around the league and grab him like Alex Len, Greg Monroe, or Marvin Bagley.

(I’m not saying don’t draft him, just saying he is likely to bust like any of the perimeter players.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't get the appeal of Clingan or Castle. Why should we draft them, because they won rings on stacked teams? Dan Hurley won't be coaching them in DC. Why bother.

Sarr or the other French kid. No other option.

20 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

We could draft Clingan at number two or wait until he bounces around the league and grab him like Alex Len, Greg Monroe, or Marvin Bagley.

(I’m not saying don’t draft him, just saying he is likely to bust like any of the perimeter players.

Clearly, someone hasn’t heard Bags’ sick flow.  That bar about turning Dame Dollar into chump change is ice cold.  NSFW

14 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I don't think he's as likely to bust, but yeah, there is bust potential in all of these prospects.  The upside against risk ratio is more favorable for giants like Clingan and Sarr though.  They can dominate games without scoring, and they will fit in with every single team that needs a defensive anchor.

I don't want us to keep hitching our wagon to perimeter players who are huge negatives on defense any more.  None of the ones in this class are dominant enough to build another unbalanced roster around anyway.  Just get the anchor and then next year we can try again for a better perimeter player to build the offense around.  7'2 guys who totally dominate the paint and can still guard out to the perimeter are rare tickets to 50 win seasons.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I hope not.

Anyway...I'm not ready to pay $100 jus to get in the building to watch Catlin Clark in person.

Yet.

The Mystics could have two picks in the top-6 next year. They desperately need an infusion of high level talent. 

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The Mystics could have two picks in the top-6 next year. They desperately need an infusion of high level talent. 

Doesn't everyone?

I'd like to see if Austin takes a leap and how long it takes for Aaliyah to impact this level.

Sykes will do her job, a lot of people are writing us off because Delle Donne is gone, but the truth was she was a shell of herself, has been for a while. 

We are losing a good player, but it's not like we lost an MVP candidate, the drop-off won't be as advertised.

I don't support the need to tank, this roster has been all around better then anything the Wizards have had to offer for a while now...stars jus couldn't stay healthy and Delle Donne was never the same after the back injury.

I'm not buying this is worst team in NBA...Phoenix is overrated and while I love Fevers backcourt, but man, they were overall a bad basketball team that may be mediocre by adding Clark (if she immediately goes supernova at this level way many predict)

OK, this rumor sounds juicy AF, I want to bite (like we know something we ain't tellin)

The Washington Wizards hold the No. 2 and 26 picks in the first round and will look to acquire another first-round pick in the draft, league sources told HoopsHype.

As the Wizards continue the early phases of their rebuilding plan for long-term sustainable success, Washington is focused on building through the draft – including an eye towards the highly regarded 2025 draft – while developing the team’s younger players.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-draft-lottery-intel-whats-next-for-each-team/

55 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

OK, this rumor sounds juicy AF, I want to bite (like we know something we ain't tellin)

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-draft-lottery-intel-whats-next-for-each-team/

I’ll never figure out basketball prospects. They talk up Cody Williams, but this guy couldn’t score a point in the play-in game and was left off the court altogether in closing time.

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I’ll never figure out basketball prospects. They talk up Cody Williams, but this guy couldn’t score a point in the play-in game and was left off the court altogether in closing time.

It's such a leap of growth that people project with basketball prospects.  Sometimes it pans out, but mostly it doesn't.  For every Scottie Barnes there are ten more Kevin Knoxes and Cam Reddishes.  People consistently overrate mediocre shot creation in 6'7+ perimeter players.  They think being able to straight line drive to the basket without tripping over your own feet and having a shot that's not completely broken is the most valuable and projectable trait in a basketball player, meanwhile the kid is completely passive and has zero gravity and took four shots a game for his college or euro team and is a complete nonfactor on the boards and on defense.  And the 7'8 giant that nobody in his level of basketball can score over or defend without fouling is worthless unless he can switch over top of screens onto point guards and drain stepback threes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Similar boat, dude : /

So while I appreciate and respect your and others attempts to talk me down the other on this issue, man, I know I ain't crazy...

i still like Topic at #2. 

The NBA is probably the hardest of the Big 4 leagues to break into....

Here's someone watching JD 2 yeers ago....

The thing about Davis in the nba is he won’t have to force it on offense. You don’t get minutes for Wisconsin without defending. The mid range game is there, I bet he gets to an average 3pt% in the nba. He’s an elite rebounder for his size.I feel his floor is a Josh hart level guy. He’d look great in Portland or San Antonio jersey.

I'm not knocking Washington's rookie Edwards, but Reese would have brought a lot of interest to this franchise, and she's playing fine early. 11pts and 8+ rebounds a game. Edwards is just under 8pts and 4 rounds with 1 assist. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Posted (edited)

I stand by not making picks to sell tickets...you win to sell tickets.

It's too early to say we made the wrong pick, Im not entertaining this during a rebuild.

Edited by Renegade7

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I stand by not making picks to sell tickets...you win to sell tickets.

It's too early to say we made the wrong pick, Im not entertaining this during a rebuild.

Not saying you take Bronny James with a lotto pick. During a rebuild you want to still give fans a reason to go. Give TV a reason to put you on more. Probably have more games at the bigger arena and give your franchise more visibility for future free agency because that's a selling point to target players. 

49 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Not saying you take Bronny James with a lotto pick. During a rebuild you want to still give fans a reason to go. Give TV a reason to put you on more. Probably have more games at the bigger arena and give your franchise more visibility for future free agency because that's a selling point to target players. 

I respectfully disagree, opinion.

I don't want gimmicks to get me in, I'm a fan, I'm coming anyway.  you want a full stadium or national games focus on winning and that will take care of itself.

I hate that we got Dani and Rui to expand the Wizards brand into Israel and Japan.  That's a stupid reason to pick players In first round and the results speak for themselves.