Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

https://sports.yahoo.com/kings-want-pay-otto-porter-like-star-wizards-decision-make-022000394.html

A maximum-salaried deal for a player with four years of NBA service time pays 25 percent of next year’s salary cap, or just under $24.8 million. With standard raises, a full four-year max would pay Porter a little over $106.5 million through the end of the 2021-22 season.

According to Haynes and Spears, Porter hasn’t yet signed the Kings’ offer sheet. He’s reportedly still got a couple of meetings lined up with other suitors, with the Brooklyn Nets — who tried a couple of times last summer to poach RFA wings, but to no avail — reportedly interested in Porter’s services. If Porter holds off on signing any offer sheets until after meeting with Washington, Grunfeld and the Wizards’ brass would have the opportunity to negotiate with Porter on structuring the deal in ways that might guarantee Porter more money but lower the annual salary cap hit — Jake Whitacre of Bullets

13 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I would let him go.

What's the plan behind letting him walk?

17 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Reading between the lines, it sounds like we told Otto to go out and set his market with the intent that we'd return to negotiation and give him more money by using the fifth year to spread it out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I don't know but the philosophy in front of it  is to not have bad contracts on your roster.

Well, for one thing, the Cavs won a championship with a roster full of monstrous contracts.  You have to spend what it takes to build a team capable of winning.

For another thing, maxing Porter isn't a bad contract.  For even a reasonable skeptic, Porter is a near max player. He was a 9 win share player in his fourth year.  He was 6th in RPM among SFs and 5th in ESPN's WINS stat (18th among all players).  That's a baseball style comprehensive metric attempting to calculate WAR. He led the league in ORtg, which is unheard of for a low usage three point and mid range shooter. He's unquestionably one of the best  shot makers in the league by his age 23 season.  That alone makes him a near max player, but he also brings all of these other positives to the table like his rebounding and ball hawking and transition finishing and second chance scoring and his off ball movement and his ability to pass and score in traffic without ever turning it over.  Plus he's got a lot of game he hasn't had the chance to show us yet.  The kid was a #3 overall pick and Big East POTY.  He's got a lot of untapped upside that will emerge over the next three or four seasons.

If the market dictates you pay a few million more than you wanted to, you do it.  It's the cost of having desirable players and the most important thing is to keep the team together.

When teambuilding, you have to make a plan and stick to it. Start by acquiring foundation pieces and then building around them.  In that foundation, you need to build an offense by getting a mix of shot creators and shot makers.  Shot making is Otto's place on the team.  He's one of the best in the league for this role and can not be easily replaced.  Otto is a foundation piece, and as such, if you lose him, then you have to replace him with another foundation piece or you will take a massive step backwards.  You can't just shoot from the hip or change course midstream because the price of keeping one of your best players gives you sticker shock.

I think it's important to appreciate how special Otto is, and how lucky we were to get him.  We had a good team in the 2012-2013 season.  We had no business drafting high in 2013, but John had a long preseason injury that threw us into turmoil for half the season until we stabilized and got to playing .500 ball.  We'd have probably made the playoffs that year if not for John's injury.  Even still, we were supposed to pick 8th.  We just got a massive stroke of luck and jumped up to #3 because of the lottery.  And we didn't **** it up by taking Nerlens Noel or Cody Zeller or Alex Len.  Let's not **** it up now by letting him walk.  Especially since he's gotten really good.

• Like 8

I would be less worried about the money if Otto didn't have a propensity for disappearing for noticeable stretches, including some playoff games.  Even when we were debating Beal's extension, we always had the hope of "playoff Beal" to fall back on and he fulfilled that hope.

I'm not so much against the Otto deal as i am of the continual ass backward way in which we do business

it would be nice to operate from a position of strength for once.

• Like 2

Letting him walk wouldn't make us better.  Only choice is to match and pray that he continues to improve.  Contract does feel like Nicholas Batum though.  He showed promise, got paid, but then remained at around 14ppg. 

• Like 2

*sigh*

I think I'm okay with the Jodie Meeks signing now. His skills, plus health, plus "The Wall Effect" could be nice on the contract he was given.

Having said that, it still sucks that so far, when everybody else is killing it, all we have is him and Tim Fraizer added to the team.

6 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

*sigh*

I think I'm okay with the Jodie Meeks signing now. His skills, plus health, plus "The Wall Effect" could be nice on the contract he was given.

Having said that, it still sucks that so far, when everybody else is killing it, all we have is him and Tim Fraizer added to the team.

Counterpoint:  Beefing up our bench and locking down Otto was really all we could ever hope for...and really all we need.

• Like 1

I'm at peace with a status quo offseason.  We've gotten better back up guards in theory.  If that turns out to be true, then that'll make a difference of a couple wins during the regular season.

The only real uncertainty is what to do with Bojan.  I hope we don't commit a bunch of money to him.  If he signs for the MLE or less, I'm good.  If he wants more then we need to let him walk.  Use the MLE to bring in a different shooter.  Preferably someone who can play a modicum of defense.

I want a one year MLE signing though.  I want them off the books ahead of 2018.  We need to be looking to jettison Gortat and Mahinmi by then.

I'm actually glad Otto was an RFA this offseason.  That being the case saved us from ourselves in dealing for Paul George.  I would have pulled the trigger on a swap and yet Paul George was sitting their ****ing recruiting for the Lakers.  He'd have left in 2018 and it would have been a disaster.

3 hours ago, Destino said:

Letting him walk wouldn't make us better.  Only choice is to match and pray that he continues to improve.  Contract does feel like Nicholas Batum though.  He showed promise, got paid, but then remained at around 14ppg. 

Except Otto is in many respects already better than Batum...and significantly younger.

I don't watch much Wizards basketball nowadays, but they need to keep Porter.  That guy is a baller.  Team would likely become infinitely worse without him.

Until the team adds a solid big man I don't see them winning the Eastern Conference.  If Mahinmi could actually do something with his life maybe.  Gortat sort of disappointed me in the playoffs. 

What happened to that guy Aaron White?  I assume he isn't good enough to make the squad. 

Gortat wouldn't have disappeared in the playoffs and second half of the regular season if Mahimi wasn't a walking Injury Report. Maybe rest in the off-season and a healthier Mahimi will make him more productive....or maybe he's done for good. 

2 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Counterpoint to the Counterpoint: Dumb decisions led us to this position; thus my disappointment.

CP to the CP/CP:  Drafting Otto was a very, very good decision and resigning him is also a good decision.  You'll feel better about it when we're in the ECF in about 9 months.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Gortat wouldn't have disappeared in the playoffs and second half of the regular season if Mahimi wasn't a walking Injury Report. Maybe rest in the off-season and a healthier Mahimi will make him more productive....or maybe he's done for good. 

So this is why Gortat was shooting airballs 2ft from the basket, he's terrible, a big goofy dude who can only rebound and doesn't offer much else.