Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Man, no one is forgetting that Ernie is a terrible GM that lives off of correcting his own mistakes by leveraging the future. But right now we have 3 max level players that are young and complement each other. You can fill the rest of the roster with role players that are ready now, while taking a flyer on cheap undrafted players and d league youngsters who can possibly help in the future. 

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/why-wizards-ultimately-targeted-bojan-bogdanovic-trade-deadline?utm_content=bufferd0bb3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Plus Bogdanovic is on a good contract that pays $3.6 million in the final year of his three-year deal. The risk is that there's no long-term committment but the Wizards made this move, CSNmidatlantic.com was told, with "an eye toward the future." Meaning, they're optimistic that they can re-sign him. Because they gave up a first-round pick, they're almost obligated to do so to make it worth the expense.

• Like 1

I'll feel better if we can get an extension, and can live with losing a second rounder if we get a legit backup point guard.  We can pick for depth after that, but as has been mentioned, we already have two, potentially three, max players on the team right now.  We don't need to draft anymore super stars, we just need to build around it.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll feel better if we can get an extension, and can live with losing a second rounder if we get a legit backup point guard.  We can pick for depth after that, but as has been mentioned, we already have two, potentially three, max players on the team right now.  We don't need to draft anymore super stars, we just need to build around it.

Two years in a row of no draft picks at all is a bad thing. 

7 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Two years in a row of no draft picks at all is a bad thing. 

You're not wrong, I just agree with the notion we'd screw up the draft anyway and need immediate contributors.  If we start drafting again after this, I'll be fine with it, because we'd have knocked out two of our most glaring holes in another scorer and respectable backup PG.  I agree that at some point you have to start drafting because you can't afford to have everyone on veteran deals, need draft picks to stay under the luxury tax, but lets just get the backup PG and see how far we can get.  This isn't a rebuilding team, it's a very good basketball team that's a couple pieces away.

Edited by Renegade7

59 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Man, no one is forgetting that Ernie is a terrible GM that lives off of correcting his own mistakes by leveraging the future. But right now we have 3 max level players that are young and complement each other. You can fill the rest of the roster with role players that are ready now, while taking a flyer on cheap undrafted players and d league youngsters who can possibly help in the future. 

our guy tried that, lasted all of half a season

47 minutes ago, STBonecrusher21 said:

I'll bet he was.  Getting traded from a cellar dweller with no future to a high seed is probably one of the few times players love to get traded.  I'm sure he wants to win.

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I think Bobo reminds me of Austin Croschere (sp?)

Good call, that's exactly who he looks like.  Side note, this dude already has a good mix of nicknames.  Bobo, Bogs, Boggy D, Bo, and Bojangles.  All solid.

52 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Bojangles looks like Jai Courtney. 

Ill rely on steve to makes sense of the numbers, but looks like we got a 2+ million trade exemption out of Nicholson. 

They're created when the moneys don't match in trades and you can use them in a future trade or free agent signing to make deals where the salaries don't match or bring in guys when we're over the cap without using our MLE or BAE.  But it's important to note, you technically only use your trade exceptions when bringing in guys through trade, not to make FA signings.  Meaning you technically need the player's old team to do a sign and trade for you in order to use the exception on a free agent.

First things first, teams that are over the cap (or would be over the cap after obtaining X player in trade) can not make unbalanced trades where they have more than 125% (plus $100K) of their outgoing salary coming back to them.  Meaning, if we were to trade Ian Mahinmi's 16.7 million dollar salary this summer, we can't do it for a combination of salaries that exceeds $20.975 million because 20.975 is 125% of 16.7 + 100k.

This rule does not apply to teams that are under the cap.  They can take back as much salary as they can absorb with their cap space.  So basically they are the only ones that can make unbalanced trades.  That's how we made the Nene trade, for example.  We sent out only JaVale and Nick Young's small salaries in exchange for Nene's much bigger salary, and the Nuggets essentially traded a good player (Nene) for a crap player (JaVale) because they were over the cap and wanted cap space.

But the exception to that 125% + 100k rule is the traded player exception.  Teams that are over the cap can use trade exceptions to make unbalanced trades.  So basically our 2 million something dollar trade exception will allow us to acquire a player with a salary in that range without sending out any salary of our own.  Or let's say we want to use it in conjunction with trading someone like Jason Smith.  Smith's salary is 5.2, meaning we could only possibly take back 6.6 million in salary in trading him.  We can use this trade exception with Jason Smith's salary to get someone in the 8-9 million dollar range instead, depending on the exact number of the exception.

You can also use trade exceptions in free agency by getting the target's old team to do a sign and trade.  So let's say we want a guy who is going to cost like 2.something million dollars but we're over the cap and already used our MLE and BAE on other guys.  Well we call up the dude's old team and say hey, we want X player, let's do a sign and trade.  And in return, that team gets a trade exception of equivalent salary to use themselves, so there is no downside for them.

It's a small perk to the trade, but a perk nonetheless.  We got a pretty decent sized trade exception from doing a sign and trade with the Rockets when they wanted Trevor Ariza back in the summer of 2014 I believe.  And IIRC we used that exception to bring in Kris Humphries and DeJuan Blair.  We were over the cap and used our MLE on Paul Pierce and our BAE on Eric Maynor.  Kris Humphries actually ended up being a decent rotation player for us that season, so the Rockets did us a solid and we didn't lose Ariza for absolutely nothing.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1