Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

17 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

A Sato/Bogs/Oubre/Morris/Mahinmi bench is nothing to sneeze at. There is a ridiculous amount of length. Still holding out hope on Sato improving at the 1. His ball handling around screens have been poor. 

Morris is the starting PF.  Sata/Bog/Oubre/Smith/Mahinmi looks like a bunch of stiffs that can't dribble to me and none of them help Wall and Beal play fewer minutes. 

30 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Called it. Yea losing the 2017 1st is a hard thing to swallow, but Bogs is a fringe Allstar caliber player at the 2 position. Similar to Markeif Morris, he is a starter in this league that can play multiple positions. Additionally, he is a sharpshooter that can definitely get hot from deep for the 3-4 minutes with John while Brad sits at the end of the first. Just wait, this dude is going to kill it here.

Fringe allstar player?  I have seen him play, I have seen his numbers, and I fail to see anything even close to allstar caliber play at guard or SF from him. 

I'm also unconvinced about him being a sharpshooter.  His shooting numbers suggest he's a streaky shooter. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I hate giving up the 1st but Bog is young(only 24)and seems like he can score. Should improve the bench scoring dramatically.

Still would like a veteran PG for the bench though.

He should certainly improve the bench, but a 1st round pick for a bench player that might just be a half a season rental is an extremely high price to pay.  Though I'm thinking the price was to get rid of players more than for Bog... so a 1st round pick to fix Ernie's mistakes. 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

A Sato/Bogs/Oubre/Morris/Mahinmi bench is nothing to sneeze at. There is a ridiculous amount of length. Still holding out hope on Sato improving at the 1. His ball handling around screens have been poor. 

Sato isn't ready to play back up PG full time for a playoff team.  He has the potential to be that guy in the future, but he'll hold their offense back right now.  He needs to become confident in his jumper before he's ready.

It's a shame too because his defense is legit.  I love how he, Kelly, and Mahinmi can play on that end of the court.  If he could shoot then he could play with Wall and give us some of the best defensive line ups in the league.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sato isn't ready to play back up PG full time for a playoff team.  He has the potential to be that guy in the future, but he'll hold their offense back right now.  He needs to become confident in his jumper before he's ready.

It's a shame too because his defense is legit.  I love how he, Kelly, and Mahinmi can play on that end of the court.  If he could shoot then he could play with Wall and give us some of the best defensive line ups in the league.

Casual pro bball fan question. How long does it take to get a guy like Sato up to speed? He was a primary point guard in the Euros wasn't he? I realize they are vastly different levels, but you would think the skills would be transferable if he has speed, strength, and size.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Casual pro bball fan question. How long does it take to get a guy like Sato up to speed? He was a primary point guard in the Euros wasn't he? I realize they are vastly different levels, but you would think the skills would be transferable if he has speed, strength, and size.

Shooting in the NBA is a different animal.  Very very few young wings do it well, even when they were great shooters in Europe or the NCAA.  Look at Doug McDermott's rookie year for example.  Nick Stauskas was another one who was a great college shooter that didn't shoot well as a rookie.  Jimmer Fredette comes to mind too.  The issue is that the NBA game is just so much faster and it's physical.  The timing of the whole shooting process gets sped up so much that it takes players a while to adjust.

Also playing PG without much NBA experience is really hard.  It's so situational that it's a matter of seeing and experiencing all of the wrinkles you're going to find on the court until your decision making process becomes confident and fluid.

That's the main challenge for young PGs.  For wings, it's usually the combination of the shooting and the difficulty of their role on defense that keeps them from playing well early on.  Sato is already an NBA caliber wing defender, so he has that going for him.  That's why I think the shooting is the biggest obstacle for him.  If he could shoot, we would be giving him all the minutes he could handle at SG and SF.  The fact that he can't yet means Bogdanovich is probably going to kick him out of the rotation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

He should certainly improve the bench, but a 1st round pick for a bench player that might just be a half a season rental is an extremely high price to pay.  Though I'm thinking the price was to get rid of players more than for Bog... so a 1st round pick to fix Ernie's mistakes. 

The smart cap guys on RealGM think Bogdanovich is definitely just a rental.  I'm trying to get them to walk me through the math, but if they're right, that makes the return for this deal terrible IMO.  For this trade to be good, we need to keep Bogdanovich this summer.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Morris is the starting PF. 

Fringe allstar player?  I have seen him play, I have seen his numbers, and I fail to see anything even close to allstar caliber play at guard or SF from him. 

I'm also unconvinced about him being a sharpshooter.  His shooting numbers suggest he's a streaky shooter. 

Morris anchors the bench. His minutes are staggered. I don't think that should change. 

When I say fringe allstar, I mean a guy who has the ability and skill set to put up great numbers in the right environment, but will probably never get there. A guy like Monta Ellis comes to my mind.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The smart cap guys on RealGM think Bogdanovich is definitely just a rental.  I'm trying to get them to walk me through the math, but if they're right, that makes the return for this deal terrible IMO.  For this trade to be good, we need to keep Bogdanovich this summer.

Washington was always going to choose between Marcin or Ian. I think that decision will be made and capt space saved by whomever is traded. At least, that's what I think would make sense...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can't believe that the team would make this move, at this cost, for a rental. 

Again, I don't get the specifics with the NBA, but that just seems like such a horrible move that anyone could see it. 

21 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I can't believe that the team would make this move, at this cost, for a rental. 

Again, I don't get the specifics with the NBA, but that just seems like such a horrible move that anyone could see it. 

You really can't believe it? Don't forget who's running this team lol

• Like 1

Whoa...didn't know Bojan is a RFA.  That really changes my opinion of the deal to make him.  Losing that 1st round pick REALLY sucks in hindsight.  If we had at least 2 years of team control, then I might feel differently

I guess I'm hoping that Brooks' penchant for player development rings true with McCullough on the roster.  Late 1st round pick in '15, so with him being the throw in on the trade, there is someone in the Wizards organization that obviously sees something with him. 

I've been working out cap projections on RealGM trying to see if there is a way we can keep Bojan.  It's going to be tough, but I think it's possible.  But at least some of these things need to happen.

1 - Otto has to sign for less than the 25.8 max.  Something like 22-23 would be a big help.  I think we might actually be able to pull this off, but it's going to be a tight rope to walk and depends on not having to bid against a power team for him.

2 - Bojan has to cost less than the MLE of 8.7 million.  That's probably realistic.  If we can get him for around 6, then that makes keeping him much more likely.

3 - Ted has to be willing to pay 2-3 million in luxury tax.  I think that's a reasonable request if we build a team capable of getting to the ECF and hanging with the Cavs.

OR

4 - We dump Jason Smith.  We should at least be able to give him away for a protected second type of trade because he's a good player on a cheapo deal.

OR

5 - We trade either Mahinmi or Gortat for a cheaper player.

So I wouldn't accept Bojan leaving in free agency as a forgone conclusion yet.

Or another contingency that would be a big help?  The cap projection goes up from 102 million to closer to that original 108 million before it was revised downward in July.  The new CBA deal they agreed to in December could change the cap projection.  An extra six million in cap space pushes the luxury tax up to the point we could probably keep Bojan without dumping anybody.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

The silly thing is this. We aren't beating Golden State. There's absolutely no reason to throw away a first round pick on a rental when you basically have zero chance at winning a title this year. It's beyond stupid when you think about it. 

They blew a 3-1 lead. 

• Like 1

Frankly, this past offseason was a complete disaster. Every single move save for Jason smith has been awful. It just never made any sense to give Mahinmi such a huge deal and keep Marcin. Should have been either or from the beginning. 

That being said, Ernie has been pretty good at trading and keeping the talent that is already here. I am sure he can figure something out to keep Bogdonovic on the team. 

27 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

The silly thing is this. We aren't beating Golden State. There's absolutely no reason to throw away a first round pick on a rental when you basically have zero chance at winning a title this year. It's beyond stupid when you think about it. 

You gotta take chances when the opportunity is there. Right now, Lebron is vulnerable. He hasn't been for the past 7 years! History has taught us that he won't stay vulnerable for more than 1 season. Put your name in the conversation and see what happens.