Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Watched the whole Bulls game, didn't think we were going to lose at all, even when we were down 18.  We gotta shore up our 3 point defense, we can't keep letting teams get their groove against us.  Bulls are one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the NBA, with Butler and Wade playing.

Real talk though, Wall should be in the MVP discussion. I'm not saying he should be the frontrunner, but he should get a vote or two, like fringe top 7 or 8 or something. He's basically putting up 25/10 a game and its not like he's got a loaded roster around him. Without Wall we might be lucky to win 15 games over an entire season.

Looks like EG's job will be saved yet again by being in an awful conference and squeaking out wins against bad teams. Thanks, Ted.

That said, as a noted Wall skeptic he deserves to be All-NBA this year. Playing out of his mind. He's gotta be counting the days before he can leave DC.

38 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

That was SUCH a Wizards way to go over .500, SMH. 

100% agree on Wall being in the MVP discussion.  Lebron, Harden, Wall...can't think of anyone else as to having a team that is beyond reliant on their contributions every night just to be remotely competitive. 

Westbrook too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first season of Wall's career where he's played with another 20 PPG scorer?  That's like LeBron's first stint in Cleveland where they were utterly reliant on his offense.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Westbrook too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first season of Wall's career where he's played with another 20 PPG scorer?  That's like LeBron's first stint in Cleveland where they were utterly reliant on his offense.

Yep.

His first 20 PPG scorer....amazing, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Westbrook too.

Of course!  Knew I left someone off....typed it quickly LOL.

Something has to give w/ the bench... look at this from BF:

In the 40 minutes and 10 seconds Wall played in this game, he had 26 points, 14 assists, 5 rebounds, and the Wizards outscored the Bulls by 24. In the 7 minutes and 50 seconds he was not on the floor, the Wizards were outscored by 22 points. John Wall shouldn’t have to be this good just to pull out a two point win at home against a team missing

Jimmy Butler and Dwyane Wade.

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yep.

His first 20 PPG scorer....amazing, isn't it?

He finally gets a second star playing with him and, in true Wizards fashion, the bottom falls out on the bench.  And so we stay at .500.

Ernie has to go.  Time to see what Tommy Sheppard can do.  Or if not him, I always kind of liked Geoff Petrie, although at 68, he's probably too old now.

I'll say this, whoever we get to replace Ernie needs to be on board with the John-Brad-Otto-Kelly core we currently have.  I don't want to see that broken up in a transition.  I want to see a good GM build around it.

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

That was SUCH a Wizards way to go over .500, SMH. 

100% agree on Wall being in the MVP discussion.  Lebron, Harden, Wall...can't think of anyone else as to having a team that is beyond reliant on their contributions every night just to be remotely competitive. 

Ahem ... some guy in OKC.

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He finally gets a second star playing with him and, in true Wizards fashion, the bottom falls out on the bench.  And so we stay at .500.

Ernie has to go.  Time to see what Tommy Sheppard can do.  Or if not him, I always kind of liked Geoff Petrie, although at 68, he's probably too old now.

I'll say this, whoever we get to replace Ernie needs to be on board with the John-Brad-Otto-Kelly core we currently have.  I don't want to see that broken up in a transition.  I want to see a good GM build around it.

Sheppard (who I've heard really good things about) or Troy Weaver.

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/dime-power-rankings-nuggets-warriors-cavs/4/

12. Washington Wizards (19-18, Last week — 13th)

John Wall and company have won three straight, knocking off both the Bulls and Bucks in the process. With that surge, Washington is above .500 for the first time all season and I’m buying. This might be the No. 4 seed when it is all said and done.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Sheppard (who I've heard really good things about) or Troy Weaver.

I'd be on board with Troy Weaver too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tommy Sheppard's been in charge of college scouting right?  If so, he's done a pretty good job.  When we've used our draft picks on college players, they've actually turned out fairly well: Wall, Beal, Otto, Oubre, Booker, even Shelvin Mack ended up making it in the NBA.  Jordan Clarkson was a find.  The only complete busts since 2010 were GRIII and Chris Singleton.  Where we've gotten in trouble is picking Euros and selling off picks.  Also our record in free agency isn't great.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

#4 seed is doable. The Hawks are fireselling and starting over and the Bulls appear to be fading. Tonight's game against the Celtics could be key although 2nd game of a back to back is always rough.

I don't see it happening.  Wall, Beal, and Gortat are playing too many minutes and the team lacks depth to win much if any of them miss significant time.  Wall is coming off double knee surgery.  Beal isn't a player anyone would describe as durable. Gortat has been healthy with the Wizards but 36 mpg for a 32 year old center is tempting fate.  

The Wizards need at the very least a 6th man and a healthy back up true center.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

#4 seed is doable. The Hawks are fireselling and starting over and the Bulls appear to be fading. Tonight's game against the Celtics could be key although 2nd game of a back to back is always rough.

The Hawks are fireselling getting rid of Korver but somehow have won 7 straight which is crazy.  It sucks because we should be gaining on them but they are actually getting distance on us.  They are the only team in the east with a better record in the past 10 than the Wiz.

I agree, I have little faith for tonight's game too due to the back to back. 

50 minutes ago, The Gibber said:

The Hawks are fireselling getting rid of Korver but somehow have won 7 straight which is crazy.  It sucks because we should be gaining on them but they are actually getting distance on us.  They are the only team in the east with a better record in the past 10 than the Wiz.

I agree, I have little faith for tonight's game too due to the back to back. 

Look at who they've played over that stretch:

Minny twice

Spurs

Denver

New York

Dallas

New Orleans

Detroit

Orlando

Brooklyn

San Antonio is the only good team they've beaten in that stretch, everyone else is crap.  Credit them for taking care of business against weak opponents but they're going to fall back down to Earth when the schedule gets tougher.

Also, Atlanta hasn't really started fireselling.  They traded a struggling Kyle Korver, but they haven't actually moved any real pieces yet.  My guess is they put Millsap on the market and found out nobody wants to give up anything good for him.

• Like 1