Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't think the Wiz can afford to get rid of Nene. The Cavs have a really big front line rotation with Love, Thompson, Mozgov, and Varejao. Plus, if the Wiz face the Spurs in the finals, they will need size up front or they will get destroyed. Teams are going big rather than following Golden State's model.

• Like 2

Damn Biyombo got signed... such a cheap deal, wish we had gotten him at that. I just like his rebounding and defense off the bench.

Watson got signed too. Maybe a look at Aaron Brooks? He can distribute and shoot from outside

If we signed West, can we afford to keep Nene too. Say we sign West and Brooks and somehow keep Nene

Sessions

Neal/Brooks

Dudley/Webster/Oubre?

Humphries/Gooden

Nene

Coule be a very productive bench

This is how I reason we are the best of West's options:

1.) Play for a contender, the original goal he had in opting out:

- Spurs can only offer him a vet min deal, and he'd be firmly behind Duncan and Aldridge in he rotation. Small chance to recoup money for his next deal. But they are a first tier Western team.

- Clippers can only offer him the remnants of their MLE, a little over 2 million. He'd be behind Griffin, but he would play. But that is a pretty damn dysfunctional and flawed team. They're a third tier Western team now.

- Cavs can offer him the MLE I think, but it might just be the taxpayer MLE of just over 3 million. They are a first tier contender like San Antonio. But they have zero minutes to offer him. He'd be their this string PF, and LeBron plays the position too.

- Washington has the full MLE to offer, a little over 5 and a half million. Only a second tier contender, but he would start here and play around 30 MPG.

2.) Scrub the plan to play for a contender and try and recoup money he lost by opting out:

- Portland might look for a starting caliber PF after losing Aldridge, but he won't make the playoffs with them.

- Phoenix might pay him after striking out with Aldridge. But it'd be an uphill battle to make the playoffs there and he is a lousy fit in their system.

I think he chooses us. The question will be, if he signs here, what do we do with Nene?

I mean you only want West on a 1 year deal... which he may like as well. Gives him a chance to play for more money and flexibilty to move to another contender. 

Nene, Webster, Sessions, and West would all be off the books. So would Neal

Basically going forward we know we will have Wall/Beal/Porter/Gortat and Oubre.

Obviously we want Durant. So if he do land him which would be amazing. We would probably be looking for Defensive/Rebounded minded bigs much like what the Bulls had in their run. Which makes sense because if you have KD/Wall/Beal, you are not too worried about scoring and more about post defense.

Luckily we have Gortat who is solid. Not really sure who is out there in next years FA/trade market.

I think we will keep Porter as long as the money is manageable, and make him the focal point of our bench in the event KD does come here

I'm still as sour as anyone about Nene after that series, but let's not forget that he can still be a productive player, he's just inconsistent. He was pretty good in the Toronto series. I think our best bet is to just ride it out with Nene for one more year. We won't be a true title contender next year anyway, barring current players taking big leaps forward, and if that does happen, it won't be because we got rid of Nene.

If we sign West, I would look into trading him to a team for cap space or other expirings. But no way would I throw in any sort of draft pick or other asset to make it happen. Worse comes worst, Nene could sit the bench all year like David Lee did until he expires.

But you're right that he is still a useful player. Skilled 7 footers that can play defense are always useful.

Wizards free agent F Kevin Seraphin getting interest from Wizards, Lakers, Suns & possibly Spurs (if they lose out on D. West), source said.

The Spurs wanted him during the draft. Wouldn't be surprised if he signs with them, gets REALLY good and we get to see the difference between a Class A and Class C organization.

If you get a chance read through the thread.

(Some) OKC fans are a little salty.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1397558#start_here

I mean of course they're salty. It's going to be the same way most of us Nats fans will feel if Harper leaves. I personally think Durant is coming home now, more so than I ever have and Thunder fans have every right to get upset but at the same time they should think about Sonic fans when they do. How do you think the fans of Seattle felt when they had their team stolen from them? So in a way OKC deserves this.

And the idiots posting on RealGM about how Washington sucks? They would've been in ECF had Wall not gotten hurt. This idea that the Wizards are some scrub team by fools who post over there irritates the hell out of me.

• Like 2

I personally think Durant is coming home now, more so than I ever have and Thunder fans have every right to get 

Yeah, I'm growing more confident each day....and KD's passive aggressive "non-denial denials" is just strengthening that belief.

This post from realgm says it all:

C'mon. If you believe anything KD says there you are setting yourself up for heartbreak. Sometimes it's what a player doesn't say that tells you the truth.

Durant can't even be honest when asked if he has thought about going home. Is he seriously trying to suggest that through all that rehab and spare time he hasn't thought once about it? Bull****. Of course he has. 

The fact he went out of his way to say he hasn't... is all the indication I need to say he has and doesn't want people thinking he had made his mind up 12 months out... when he does leave.

When Steph Curry is asked whether he ever thinks about going back to Charlotte... he tells the truth. He says of course he has. And that's because he knows deep down he isn't going anywhere for the next 5 years.

When KD says he has never even thought about going back home.... he is lying. And he is lying because he knows he is going back home.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

What I think is funny is this idea that he'd leave OKC for anywhere else. He's either staying in OKC or coming home. I'm tired of hearing about the Knicks and Lakers as possible destinations. Sorry to the fans of those once great organizations but if these last two offseasons haven't proven to them that no one cares about playing there than I don't know what will?

• Like 1

I enjoy seeing fans from other teams like Miami and LA and Detroit fantasize about him going there. He'll either stay in OKC because he is loyal and loves playing with that group and believes they give him the best chance to win. Or he's coming to DC because he wants to come home, he's frustrated with OKC, and he thinks we offer him a good chance to win. There are no other realistic outcomes.

He is going to go through the full process of free agency, but I think he only truly considers the two teams.

My gut is something like a 65% chance for OKC, 35% chance for DC. This is a big year for both teams, but there is a TON more pressure on OKC. They have to seriously contend for a ring.

People are crazy if they think this Wizards team wouldn't contend with him added. Keep the core together and it'd only be a matter of time before they won a ring. He'd elevate the Wizards to equal footing with Cleveland and eventually the Wizards would fully surpass them when LeBron got old. In t meantime, Wiz vs Cavs would be the most relevant rivalry in the league and SA and Golden State are probably the only teams in the West that could hang with them.

• Like 1

Wouldn't mind seeing them sign Beal for a sub max deal, but that's about the only long term move I want them to make this summer.

Beal's in an interesting position. Based on the deals being handed out, he's going to a get a max deal whether he "deserves" one or not. Waiting a year might be to his benefit. On the other hand, he has an injury history and might be willing to sign long term now to have that protection.