Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kolb to Start Week 3 for Eagles

Snarky

Despite the performance of Michael Vick. Sounds like Reid is fearing a QB controversy despite the obvious. I had assumed Vick starting would be a given until he lost. I'm kinda glad about this news.

Be Andy Reid for a day

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 19, 2010 9:48 PM ET

Eagles coach Andy Reid has already made his choice: Kevin Kolb will start next week's game, and Michael Vickt_mini-a.png says it's Kolb's team.

But is that the right move?

Vick has played very well the six quarters he's been in this year, showing surprising accuracy to go with renewed running ability. Considering that Kolb is the future in Philadelphia, it's not an easy call to make. But we'll let you try anyway.

But is that the right move?

In the short term, no. Jacksonville will eat Kolb alive, and they're not even particularly great.

But hey, everybody's gotta learn sometime. I'm not at all against the feeding-to-the-wolves philosophy; as long as you have a quality team surrounding them, the player in question will thrive, especially after a year or two of studying the offense.

It's a big mistake. But, it's good news for us.

It's pretty funny about their situation.

1. Start Kolb to save face and pray he plays well.

2. Start Kolb to save face, but end-up getting burned because he's awful; then bench him for Vick.

3. Start Vick and admit they were wrong about Kolb being ready to start; and thus, wrong to get rid of McNabb.

Hopefully he starts Week 4 as well. Vick would shred our D up but against Kolb we might have a chance.

Yeah, I'd much rather face Korn on the Kolb then Vick.

In order for Reid to save face, he's going to have to start his boy Kolb when we come to town. Then he can watch him fall flat on his face while our QB lights up their secondary.

Despite the performance of Michael Vick. Sounds like Reid is fearing a QB controversy despite the obvious.

I really don't think there is a QB controversy at all. Not yet.

The trouble is, the offensive line play is offensive. With that, Vick is much better suited to get wins for this team. Kolb will be running for his life.

Vick takes a snap from shotgun, and he's always a threat to run. When Kolb takes a snap from shotgun, If a defense isn't worried about Kolb running. McCoy can't take that delay handoff and do anything with it.

Kolb is the guy, and that's that. He'll have to produce to win fans over, and there will still be fans clamoring for Vick. Thing is, Kolb has to survive his own offensive line.

What I really want to see is if Reid does the ridiculous subbing in and out of Vick at QB. It didn't work in game one (well except for that 3rd and 19 or whatever). It won't work in game 3.

There's no decision really. Reid either starts Kolb or sets the franchise back a minimum of 5 years by going with a 30-year-old, run-first QB that has proven irrefutably that he isn't a viable option if the goal is winning a super bowl. Kolb might not be either, but at least there's a sliver of doubt there. Vick, you know what you're getting.

Best case scenario with Vick is eeking out a 10-win season and a first-round playoff exit. Not much of an upside there, considering the best-case scenario for the alternative option is having a franchise QB for 10 years, which is what the Eagles envisioned when they traded McNabb. Why anyone with a brain would abandon that plan after two quarters and 10 pass attempts is very mysterious to me.

I think going with Kolb is the smart move. Vick is a free agent after this season and is likely to go somewhere else where he thinks that he can win the starting job. The Eagles just gave Kolb 12 million dollars and annoited him the QB of the future. Unless they think that Vick can take them all the way, there's really no point in continuing to start him, Kolb is their future. They'll have to take some lumps and hope it works out long term.

If I'm a coach, I don't care about the "QB controversy". Ignore the media and play the guy that gives you the best opportunity to win.

Kolb is supposed to be their starter, and he got paid and they shipped out McNabb because they thought he was a winner. So what? Mike Vick may not ever be a great drop back passer but he's looked phenomenal so far and I don't see why the Eagles are so confident in Kolb.

There's no decision really. Reid either starts Kolb or sets the franchise back a minimum of 5 years by going with a 30-year-old, run-first QB that has proven irrefutably that he isn't a viable option if the goal is winning a super bowl. Kolb might not be either, but at least there's a sliver of doubt there. Vick, you know what you're getting.

Best case scenario with Vick is eeking out a 10-win season and a first-round playoff exit. Not much of an upside there, considering the best-case scenario for the alternative option is having a franchise QB for 10 years, which is what the Eagles envisioned when they traded McNabb. Why anyone with a brain would abandon that plan after two quarters and 10 pass attempts is very mysterious to me.

I absolutely agree with you on that. Vick is a great 'bad team' QB. If you're a 2-14 team and you want to get to 8-8 in a hurry, then Vick is your guy. He'll make plays with his feet and some deep passes and cover for a bad Line. But if you want the kind of accurate, timing oriented, turnoer-free offense that wins Super Bowls, you want no part of him. I don't know if Kolb's the guy, but I 'm sure Vick isn't. And to be acting like the verdict is in on Kolb after one half is ridiculous.

If I'm a coach, I don't care about the "QB controversy". Ignore the media and play the guy that gives you the best opportunity to win.

That's not what is happening. Vick gives them the best opportunity to win. Kolb is the QB that is tapped to be the savior. They have no idea if he sucks yet. So they're going to play him. Not many coaches are that comfortable in their situation to do that. Reid feels fine with a losing season obviously.

I absolutely agree with you on that. Vick is a great 'bad team' QB. If you're a 2-14 team and you want to get to 8-8 in a hurry, then Vick is your guy. He'll make plays with his feet and some deep passes and cover for a bad Line. But if you want the kind of accurate, timing oriented, turnoer-free offense that wins Super Bowls, you want no part of him. I don't know if Kolb's the guy, but I 'm sure Vick isn't. And to be acting like the verdict is in on Kolb after one half is ridiculous.

I'm not sure I agree.

And let me state first of all that I am not a fan of Michael Vick...not at all. Don't let the sig confuse you, the man is a douchebag. I'm all for second chances but that doesn't make me a fan of his.

Vick had such crappy WRs around him in ATL that I'm not sure he was given a chance to succeed. I honestly do not like what I've seen from Kevin Kolb and never got why Philly was/is so enamored with him.

That's not what is happening. Vick gives them the best opportunity to win. Kolb is the QB that is tapped to be the savior. They have no idea if he sucks yet. So they're going to play him. Not many coaches are that comfortable in their situation to do that. Reid feels fine with a losing season obviously.

And I wouldn't like that at all if I were an Eagles fan. Give Kolb another year holding the clipboard if that's what it takes for your long term success.

I'm not sure I agree.

Vick had such crappy WRs around him in ATL that I'm not sure he was given a chance to succeed.

Nope. Don't buy that excuse at all. He had Crumpler, who was one of the best recieving TEs in the league at the time and he had Roddy White, who miraculously turned into a superstar once Vick left town.

When Vick wasn't running for yards in Atlanta he was missing wide-open receivers all over the field. I mean, his BEST statistical year was like 19th in the NFL in passer rating.

The Eagles traded Donovan McNabb because they decided he had taken them as far as he was ever going to, that he was incapable of delivering a Super Bowl, based on a track record of good but not great seasons. They traded him because they wanted a super accurate QB that could be counted on to run the offense the way it was meant to be run, rather than be forced to rely on the occasional-but-by-no-means-predictable highlight reel play at the end of a game to win.

And now they're going to go to Mike Vick of all people? Get real. That's minute-to-minute managing.

I'm not even saying that they were definitely right about McNabb, or that they were definitely right about Kolb. But how about some logical consistency in your decision making habits?

Nope. Don't buy that excuse at all. He had Crumpler, who was one of the best recieving TEs in the league at the time and he had Roddy White, who miraculously turned into a superstar once Vick left town.

When Vick wasn't running for yards in Atlanta he was missing wide-open receivers all over the field. I mean, his BEST statistical year was like 19th in the NFL in passer rating.

Roddy White was only there for 2005-2006.

Crumpler was the only guy he could throw to, and the offensive line was porous as well. Peerless Price, Terrance Mathis, Brian Finneran, Dez White...not exactly super stars.

Again, I'm not a Vick guy but I do think he didn't have enough around him to really succeed.

In Philly, he has a better chance. He'll never lead the league in passing but he can win games.

Doesn't matter, I don't want to see him or anyone succeed in Philly :ols:

Chris Mortensen

@mortreport

Andy reid has named Michael Vick as team's starting quarterback

I knew he would find some way to have him as QB.

I guess he doesn't need to wait to bench Kolb during the game to put Vick in now.

On the other hand it's pretty hilarious how all over the place he's been about this.

Maybe by Sunday morning Kolb will be the guaranteed starter for the rest of the season. lol

I like the fact that we should have a pretty good idea of which QB we'll be facing heading into Week 4. I hate it when the other team's QB situation is in flux, and you have to prepare for both guys. Especially two QBs as radically different as Vick and Kolb.

I'd prefer to face Kolb, but if we're going to face Vick, I'm glad we know about it in advance.

Archived