Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.Com: Redskins DT Haynesworth limited in practice with bad ankle

qcraftsman

First off, I just want to state that in no way does my following statement imply that I think Haynesworth is faking or milking this injury. For all we know, it's totally true and not his fault.

That being said, you know what's so ridiculously frustrating about this whole situation?

This 3-4 Defense that Haslett has installed here is proven. It's a turnover-generating, pressure from anywhere, keep offense's confused at all times- type defense that could easily become a perennial top 5 Defense that people fear and expect to simply not have good offensive days against. The biggest problem is, the NT is the most important position within the scheme. We have potentially the best NT in the game sitting on our roster and his name is friggin' Haynesworth. But no, because it's so important to him that he plays in a Defense where he can just rush the passer and everything else be damned, we're forced to play him mostly at DE so he could be happy and if we do put him at NT he refuses to play within the scheme the majority of the time.

It's unbelievable... if he could just accept it for the team and play within the scheme at NT the majority of snaps, I truly believe we'd be one of the most dominant defense's in the league right away. That's not hyperbole. That's why this is so frustrating. Part of me is aching that he just gets it together, plays well for us and we keep him on board; the other part is saying it looks like he doesn't really want to do that and we got to be done with him somehow.

First off, I just want to state that in no way does my following statement imply that I think Haynesworth is faking or milking this injury. For all we know, it's totally true and not his fault.

That being said, you know what's so ridiculously frustrating about this whole situation?

This 3-4 Defense that Haslett has installed here is proven. It's a turnover-generating, pressure from anywhere, keep offense's confused at all times- type defense that could easily become a perennial top 5 Defense that people fear and expect to simply not have good offensive days against. The biggest problem is, the NT is the most important position within the scheme. We have potentially the best NT in the game sitting on our roster and his name is friggin' Haynesworth. But no, because it's so important to him that he plays in a Defense where he can just rush the passer and everything else be damned, we're forced to play him mostly at DE so he could be happy and if we do put him at NT he refuses to play within the scheme the majority of the time.

It's unbelievable... if he could just accept it for the team and play within the scheme at NT the majority of snaps, I truly believe we'd be one of the most dominant defense's in the league right away. That's not hyperbole. That's why this is so frustrating. Part of me is aching that he just gets it together, plays well for us and we keep him on board; the other part is saying it looks like he doesn't really want to do that and we got to be done with him somehow.

Yep the 3-4 is proven. This version of Haynesworth is not.

The thing is he does accept the scheme...now. The problem is, all that time he wasn't here had him losing a lot of time in adjusting to his new responsibilities. He's way behind everyone else and even he admitted in preseason that he's still playing like a 4-3 DT.

BTW, he probably would be switching between NT and DE in this defense anyways. Haslett seems to like to move his DL around.

well, he was stomping around the sidelines pretty hard.

You're screen name is befitting. :pfft:

That sideline stomp was blown out of proportion by Collinsworth and Micheals. The rest of the Dline were on the bench adjacent to him, not in the defensive huddle they were talking about. That huddle consisted mainly of Linebackers, that was all. They made it out like the whole Defense was there in that huddle and only he was alone on the sideline separate from them. Idiots.

He is not a nose tackle. He is a defensive tackle. He is a pass rusher. He is not a run stopper. I wish people would get that. This is why he hasn't excelled at nose tackle. Unfortunately, we don't have any good ones, so he plays that until we can get a true nt. Haynesworth can try all he wants, but he is a top 5 defensive tackle. Not a nose tackle. It will never be any different.

Haynesworth is a big problem for you guys. If your scheme is going to be successful at getting to the QB you MUST have an NT to occupy blockers. Sometimes I wonder if Haynesworth will have a problem doing that. Not that he can't, but his focus seems to be attack the red shirt. If he's greedy in the middle of the line and doesn't make sure to occupy the blockers he's useless to you. There were times in the Dallas game that he just looked lost. Part of that is not being in practice I'm sure... but what you're asking him to do is an entirely different technique from what he's been used to doing. I personally think you should have sat him down and said look if you want to buy into this you're welcome here... if not STFU and we'll trade you but you need to LOOK like you're buying into this. With next season being an uncapped year this would have been an ideal time to get rid of him.

Look at Ray's performance in Balt. When they didn't have a decent nose tackle, everyone was talking about him being too old... then they went and drafted a solid NT and he looks 25 again. Who wants to be that the Jets defense doesn't look very bland now that Jenkins is gone for the year?

Mike

He is not a nose tackle. He is a defensive tackle. He is a pass rusher. He is not a run stopper. I wish people would get that. This is why he hasn't excelled at nose tackle. Unfortunately' date=' we don't have any good ones, so he plays that until we can get a true nt. Haynesworth can try all he wants, but he is a top 5 defensive tackle. Not a nose tackle. It will never be any different.[/quote']

Actually, analysis of his play last year belies that a bit. He was better as a run stopper than as a pass rusher last year. Also, the way Jay Ratliff plays the NT position says that there are different ways to play the position. Certainly, I could see Haynesworth becoming a Ratliff-like player, IF he's able to stick it out. That is still a question mark, tho.

Haynesworth is a big problem for you guys. If your scheme is going to be successful at getting to the QB you MUST have an NT to occupy blockers. Sometimes I wonder if Haynesworth will have a problem doing that. Not that he can't, but his focus seems to be attack the red shirt. If he's greedy in the middle of the line and doesn't make sure to occupy the blockers he's useless to you. There were times in the Dallas game that he just looked lost. Part of that is not being in practice I'm sure... but what you're asking him to do is an entirely different technique from what he's been used to doing. I personally think you should have sat him down and said look if you want to buy into this you're welcome here... if not STFU and we'll trade you but you need to LOOK like you're buying into this. With next season being an uncapped year this would have been an ideal time to get rid of him.

Look at Ray's performance in Balt. When they didn't have a decent nose tackle, everyone was talking about him being too old... then they went and drafted a solid NT and he looks 25 again. Who wants to be that the Jets defense doesn't look very bland now that Jenkins is gone for the year?

Mike

hmmm, fantastic. none of this has ben considered around these parts before. thank you so much for the insight mike. how we could have missed this one is beyond me. ;)

hmmm, fantastic. none of this has ben considered around these parts before. thank you so much for the insight mike. how we could have missed this one is beyond me. ;)

Well you guys seem (granted its a lot of smack talk) to think that your defense is firing on all cylinders. I don't see your defense being a shutdown defense if you don't have a big fat NT who shuts down the middle. I have read though that you think your D is going to roll over the Texans and if you don't get pressure in the QB's face that's not happening. If y'all are aware then just ignore my post.

Mike

at this point its a who cares situation. some other team needs to lose a 4-3 D tackle for the year so we can unload this worthless clown.

I know Ryan runs a 34, but I'd say it was pretty telling as to how far lard ass' stock has fallen when a major NT like Jenkins goes down and they flat out say there not intrested in Haynesworth-less.

As much as I was convinced we'd move him by the deadline, I'm begining to think more and more we're stuck with the disgrace for the rest of the year. We could really use him Sunday given the way Houston ran all over the Colts (although it was the Colts, who appear to be back to their bad old selfs of zero defense and expecting Peyton to pull them through); but thanks to his attitude right through and being so far behind on the scheme and his conditioning YET again, I don't want him anywhere near the field Sunday. I'd rather muddle through with guys that care and are gona' give their all.

Hail.

Well you guys seem (granted its a lot of smack talk) to think that your defense is firing on all cylinders. I don't see your defense being a shutdown defense if you don't have a big fat NT who shuts down the middle. I have read though that you think your D is going to roll over the Texans and if you don't get pressure in the QB's face that's not happening. If y'all are aware then just ignore my post.

Mike

i was speaking to your summation of the AH situation and your suggestions on what we should have done. because yeah, we havent really discussed it much around here.

Archived