Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The final 2:38 4th qtr. Nothing much has changed. LJ runs out of bounds.

Gart Monk

How many times has a bad team (or a good team having a bad day) come into FEDEX Field and just hung around for the entire game just to steal it at the very end? I am concerned with the sequence of events that led up to the final play of the game.

(2:38 4th qtr) 1st & 10 DAL34 (clock running). LJ runs out of bounds and the clock stops:doh:

DAL defense was on it's heals and would have had to start burning timeouts if LJ stays in and the clock goes to 2:00. Instead the Skins have to burn a down to get the clock moving again.

(2:00 4th qtr) 3rd & 2 DAL26. False Start #71 -5yds:doh:

Instead of having two chances to run on 3rd& 2 (DAL would had have to burn 2 timeouts) The Skins are in a passing situation with a stopped clock and DAL still has 3 timeouts.

(2:00 4th qtr) 3rd & 7 DAL31 Incomplete pass to Roydell Williams.:doh: Clock Stops!

WTF? Roydell Williams? In 5 plays, the Redskins burn only 38 seconds of clock and DAL uses none of their timeouts. Roydell Williams? Really?

(1:56 4th qtr) 4th & 7 DAL 31 Gano 49yd FG. :point2sky WAS 13 DAL 7

So now DAL has 1:50 and 3 timeouts and they are one play away from taking the lead. None of this happens if LJ just stays in bounds. Now we have to watch DAL drive the entire length of the field, Carlos Rogers drops a sure interception:doh:, and an injury timeout gives DAL another free clock stoppage:doh:.

Washington got the win but nothing much has changed. Dallas came into FED EX Field mentally unprepared and WAS let them hang around. In years past the scenario would play out the same except the 49yd FG gets missed to allow DAL to get the game into OT. Dallas would have gathered itself and stolen a win.

I expect that Coach Shanahan will improve the game managing since he has been out of action for a while. It is imperative to get Thomas and Kelly on the field for possession grabs. Carlos Rogers has got to learn how to catch. I think the running game will work itself out. Luckily the defense, Graham Gano and the 12th Man showed up Sunday. Our team needed every bit of help it got. Special thanks to the Dallas Cowboys for being complete morons.

Being a Redskins fan is like watching the same movie over and over. Sunday we were lucky to get the alternate ending. The Redskins have a long way to go.

If Im not mistaken LJ tried to stay in bounds and I think was drug out.

RIght. Should have been ruled that his foward progress was stopped, clock keeps running; however, we are talking about Jerruh's boys, so consider this another gift from the officials. That play almost did cost us the game.

Why we even ran LJ was a mystery to me. Portis looked like he was getting into a groove.

It sucks that Silverback got called for false start. I think we would have gotten the first on 3rd and 2 by running it otherwise, which would have basically ended the game.

I don't mind passing the ball on 3rd and 7. If we get a first down the game is over. Just didn't work out...

If the OP was really paying attenton he would've realized what others have said and that LJ realized that he needed to stay inbounds, but his momentum allowed the defender to push him out of bounds.

I'm one of the biggest critics on here, but this is clearly a negative nitpicking Nancy.

the playcalling was fine. it was the first game for two brand new systems against a good NFC east opponent. We ended up winning cause we played smarter football throughout the game.

if were still winning nailbiters like this against the bucs in week 12, ill be worried. lets get a few games under our belt before we start flipping out.

also, i might start a thread on this, over the last few years mcnabb has not played particularly well against the cowboys. hes usually good for around 1 TD and a couple picks with a meh comp %. so his performance against a D he usually struggles against seemed maybe just a shade under par for the course.

Actually he ran towards out of bounds then at the last possible second stopped only to be pushed out. Fact is he shouldn't have been close enough to get pushed out. When he ran out of bounds I nearly punched a wall.

You're right. He shouldn't have been that close to be pushed out of bounds.

thats what she said.

sorry, i had to.

ZIIINNG!

Personally, I think that was completely LJ's fault. Everyone knows that there is one thing you have to do in that situation, stay in bounds, don't put yourself in position to be pushed out. LJ waited to make his cut until he was 5 yards from the sideline, at that point he put himself in position to get pushed out.

That extra 38 seconds was huge, with 38 seconds left in the game Dallas was still at mid field.

#1 LJ was def trying to go out of bonds

#2 WE WON THE GAME

#2 is what im glad about. i understand people are a little weary considering we didnt look that great, but this is all so brand new we dont have enough info yet to know how this team is going to perform. people need to chill with the sky is falling stuff at the moment. so far this new regime has 1 game under its belt, a win against the biggest division rival. were 1-0, and while i fully agree that it was an ugly win that id rather not get used to, its still a win.

again, if were winning by field goals against the rams lions and bucs, ill be worried as well. but lets give it a little time before we freak out.

If Im not mistaken LJ tried to stay in bounds and I think was drug out.

You are correct his forward momentum was stopped & he was pulled force out of bounds & on tv it looked like he was going alittle backwards when he was forced out, the clock should have kept moving. Having said that LJ should have turned up field sooner to avoid the chance of going out of bounds or just gone to the ground.

If the OP was really paying attenton he would've realized what others have said and that LJ realized that he needed to stay inbounds, but his momentum allowed the defender to push him out of bounds.

I'm one of the biggest critics on here, but this is clearly a negative nitpicking Nancy.

The "buttefly effect" created by that play resulted in DAL getting to the WAS 13yd line with a great look for the win. Thank you sir, for your contribution to this thread.

Archived