Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Match Up Versus Houston - What to Look For

KDawg

This is the perfect example of why his stats were artificially gaudy last week. Look from :16 to :20. The entire Colts front 7 stunted left and then overpursued. Foster makes one routine cutback, and he's gone. Any back in the NFL makes that cutback.

That's just one example. Hurts if you actually didn't watch the game. Redskins fans believe Foster has only had one good game, but they are in for a surprise on Sunday. Especially when the Cowboys RB ran just fine against the Redskins D.

Andre Johnson is a much better receiver than Miles Austin, and that's taking nothing away from Austin. Johnson is just that good. Talent wise, the only guy that's close is Fitzgerald and he's real close. Calvin Johnson is probably in the same vicinity and then there's a bit of a drop off.

Thats fair but I think if you put Calvin Johnson on an offense with better supporting talent he would be doing all the things Andre is and maybe more. It's splitting hairs a bit as all three are great but if I could pick any receiver in the NFL I'd take Calvin.

That's just one example. Hurts if you actually didn't watch the game. Redskins fans believe Foster has only had one good game, but they are in for a surprise on Sunday. Especially when the Cowboys RB ran just fan against the Redskins D.

Hey, by all accounts Foster is going to be a good back in the NFL. I just think he's going to have a tougher day Sunday than he did against the Colts. That said, the Redskins face a huge challenge overall Sunday, too.

Hey, by all accounts Foster is going to be a good back in the NFL. I just think he's going to have a tougher day Sunday than he did against the Colts. That said, the Redskins face a huge challenge overall Sunday, too.

I don't know of a single Texans fan who believes that Foster will get 230 yards, like I've seen read around here. He should be able to get to at least 100 though.

Really? Did you watch his cuts? Dude has amazing vision. He finds whatever hole he can and bursts through it. For example:

... Yeah? There was a HUGE hole on the backside because the Colts didnt cover the backside on that play... Dont see what so amazing about that play outside of his quickness and speed which I dont think anyone is disputing. That just backs up more what we are saying about the Colts run D.

That's just one example. Hurts if you actually didn't watch the game. Redskins fans believe Foster has only had one good game, but they are in for a surprise on Sunday. Especially when the Cowboys RB ran just fine against the Redskins D.

Perhaps, but will you be here on Sunday and Monday if that is not the case? My guess is not. Or you will post once and be gone.

we will not get run on like the colts did. foster isnt even a fast back, hes just a big rumbling dude that got lucky against a dreadful run D.

if the texans are gonna beat us its gonna be through the air. and judging from how well our pass rush did in terms of holds, im feeling confident about this team.

the O has to pick it up tho. we need a 2-3 TD game from mcnabb/portis.

Thats fair but I think if you put Calvin Johnson on an offense with better supporting talent he would be doing all the things Andre is and maybe more. It's splitting hairs a bit as all three are great but if I could pick any receiver in the NFL I'd take Calvin.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I like the way Andre Johnson runs after the catch, but he's got a lot more to work with around him. Andre Johnson wasn't overly impressive until Schaub came along and managed to play most of a season. Calvin Johnson hasn't had any kind of help on offense before and he's never had a very good QB throwing him the ball. He is the superior WR talent in the NFL and the best WR prospect of the decade.

I've been wondering why opponents don't cover Cooley with their best cover safety, man-to-man. It seems to me that Chris's strength is in finding the soft spots in zones and not so much his slick route running.

My guess is, he finds the spots between the LBers and safeties and with Moss as a deep threat, the safety has to play honest or Kyle will find a play to go over the top.

EDIT: I see Warpath11 already answere your question.

And the last time Kubiak played M. Shanahan, Houston won 31-13.

You keep bringing this up, but the Redskins and Broncos are 2 different teams. It would be like me saying Shanahan can beat Belichick and the Patriots now because he did it in the playoffs a couple of years ago. That is "ONE" game years ago. It's not a factor at all.

This is the perfect example of why his stats were artificially gaudy last week. Look from :16 to :20. The entire Colts front 7 stunted left and then overpursued. Foster makes one routine cutback, and he's gone. Any back in the NFL makes that cutback.

Hence why Shanahan has never drafted a RB high and just kept churning out 1000 yard backs year after year. Of all his backs past Davis, only CP has gone on to have a great career in another system.

You keep bringing this up, but the Redskins and Broncos are 2 different teams. It would be like me saying Shanahan can beat Belichick and the Patriots now because he did it in the playoffs a couple of years ago. That is "ONE" game years ago. It's not a factor at all.

I keep bringing it up because people here keep bringing up the fact that Kubiak learned under Shanahan, so somehow Shanahan will have the upper hand. That's already proved not to be the case. And just FYI, Kyle Shanahan DID NOT build this Texans offense from the ground up (I saw this comment on the board somewhere).

Edit: And here is a pretty good video on Arian Foster and the O-Line from NFL Network. Watching his cuts the way they break it down is a thing of beauty: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81a8a3be/Playbook-How-Foster-had-record-day

The Texans are a great team and anyone overlooking them just doesn't know football. All of the important advantages are on the Texans side. Their offense is what we are working towards. Their O-line knows the scheme, while ours are still trying to figure it out. They do have the best WR in the game. Defensively I think we're about even. If AH stops pouting on the side lines and attacks with all out aggression we could be really special this game.

Cushing is out serving a 4 game suspension. Doughty is a HUGE liability in the passing game. Hopefully Moore will be able to play this week. Either him or Horton but please not Doughty. Foster may have played out of his mind on Sunday but I just don't see him repeating that type of performance against us. Our Run D was awful on sunday, but I don't think we'll see a repeat performance of that also.

Key matchup for both teams, for the Texans: Andre Johnson vs. Our secondary. He's going to be double teamed. For the 'Skins: Clinton Portis vs. Texans Run D.

After seeing how determined and fired up the defense played last week I'm more than encouraged. However, on that same note we gotta see some serious improvement on offense. CP had a couple of 1 cut runs that looked promising. I liked eeing Santana being involved as well as Cooley. Yes, it's early and everyone is still learning the system. I just know for sure it's gonna be a good game. T. Williams looks like the truth and Rack is a beast.

I keep bringing it up because people here keep bringing up the fact that Kubiak learned under Shanahan, so somehow Shanahan will have the upper hand. That's already proved not to be the case. And just FYI, Kyle Shanahan DID NOT build this Texans offense from the ground up (I saw this comment on the board somewhere).

Edit: And here is a pretty good video on Arian Foster and the O-Line from NFL Network. Watching his cuts the way they break it down is a thing of beauty: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81a8a3be/Playbook-How-Foster-had-record-day

Well, Kubiak did learn under Shanahan. I agree that that does not give him the upper hand, but just like Reid, Holmgren and Shanahan, their offenses are an offshoot from Walsh. They all followed his philosophies, but tweeked their offenses to suit their personnel. Even our own Gibbs took Don Coryell's offense from SD and tweeked it in Washington. And history has shown that Shanahan's ZBS is able to plug any RB in, including a 6th rounder from Georgia.

Yep a post with stats to support my arguement and not pure speculation and personal emotions.

Stats to support your argument? What stats. You stated an opinion and gave nothing to back it up

Romo sits to pee has better numbers in 2007=2008, but Schaub was also injured for 5 games during that time.

And in 2009 Schaub was hands down better.

Romo sits to pee is good QB, no doubt, but he doesn't DOMINATE Schaub especially the last 2 years.

Romo sits to pee

Year Tm Gm Com Att Pct Yds Avg TD Lg INT Fum Rat

2007 DAL 16 335 520 64.4 4211 8.1 36 59 19 7 97.4

2008 DAL 13 276 450 61.3 3448 7.7 26 75 14 8 91.4

2009 DAL 16 347 550 63.1 4483 8.2 26 80 9 4 97.6

Schaub

2007 HOU 11 192 289 66.4 2241 7.8 9 77 9 6 87.2

2008 HOU 11 251 380 66.1 3043 8.0 15 65 10 6 92.7

2009 HOU 16 396 583 67.9 4770 8.2 29 72 15 1 98.6

Can't believe I'm arguing with a Redskins fan about how good the Dallas QB is.

Late to the thread and didn't really look at it much but reading Mosley's new article got me thinking about defensive match-ups.

We could double team Andre Johnson with Rogers and Doughty.

Match up man-to-man with their other receivers.

We could match-up McIntosh on Daniels and if that doesn't work we could put Landry on him.

OR we would try something like what coach Gray did with Witten...we could put Rogers on Witten man-to-man

The thinking being that if your planning to double team a Johnson anyway you may as well put your best coverage player on 1-on-1 match where they won't have help

Stats to support your argument? What stats. You stated an opinion and gave nothing to back it up

Romo sits to pee has better numbers in 2007=2008, but Schaub was also injured for 5 games during that time.

And in 2009 Schaub was hands down better.

Romo sits to pee is good QB, no doubt, but he doesn't DOMINATE Schaub especially the last 2 years.

Romo sits to pee

Year Tm Gm Com Att Pct Yds Avg TD Lg INT Fum Rat

2007 DAL 16 335 520 64.4 4211 8.1 36 59 19 7 97.4

2008 DAL 13 276 450 61.3 3448 7.7 26 75 14 8 91.4

2009 DAL 16 347 550 63.1 4483 8.2 26 80 9 4 97.6

Schaub

2007 HOU 11 192 289 66.4 2241 7.8 9 77 9 6 87.2

2008 HOU 11 251 380 66.1 3043 8.0 15 65 10 6 92.7

2009 HOU 16 396 583 67.9 4770 8.2 29 72 15 1 98.6

Can't believe I'm arguing with a Redskins fan about how good the Dallas QB is.

This is not the case at all. Point being Dallas is just as good and if not better than the Texans because I do believe the Girls will play the Texans this year and that will end this arguement. The Redskins played the Girls as well as a team can with the Dallas Cowboys with the better qb however you want to spin it. I notice you did not speak on having the 30th ranked run offense last year against a team that has been ranked dead last in run defense this year. Most of our posters have been humble but the Texans fans seem to be the west coast version of the New York Jets. I understand defending your team but lets not kid yourself as the Skins have not that the Texans have a long ways to go just like the Skins. I made it clear that the Skins will not steam roll the Texans and that is respect within itself. I have not seen a Texan fan give the Redskins any respect thus far in this thread. Why?

Hence why Shanahan has never drafted a RB high and just kept churning out 1000 yard backs year after year. Of all his backs past Davis, only CP has gone on to have a great career in another system.

Alright! A Skins fan that "gets it." If you get a chance try to check out that breakdown NFL network did on the running game against the Colts. They picked plays where the ABS worked exactly as intended, and Foster just had to be patient and then run through a hole you could sail a boat through. It's a thing of beauty, when it works.

Archived