Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Match Up Versus Houston - What to Look For

KDawg

I actually expect Carlos to draw most of the man coverage against Andre Johnson next week, not hall. We're going to need another big game from our talented secondary. Dallas had a deeper and more explosive set of weapons in the passing game and a similarly good QB and we managed to contain them. We'll have success if we can bring some pressure. All in all, the defense looked freaking legit when you consider their performance against Dallas, especially since there are still so many kinks to iron out. Holding that offense to 7 points was no small feat.

I'm sorry, but Dallas does NOT have a deeper and more explosive set of passing weapons. Schaub is better QB with better numbers. Dallas doesn't have anything close to Andre Johnson (Williams could have been but is a bust). Clark is probably bigger weapon than Daniels, but only because Daniels is coming off injury. Miles Austin might be a slightly better version of Kevin Walter. Dez Bryant is an unknown factor and doens't have the experience of Jacoby Jones. About they only thing they have are better known RBs, but I like our tandem of Foster and Slaton (the Tate injury hurt BAD).

I've been wondering why opponents don't cover Cooley with their best cover safety, man-to-man. It seems to me that Chris's strength is in finding the soft spots in zones and not so much his slick route running.

Agreed I think Cooley can be neutrailized when covered man-to-man by a safety. Though if you do that against Cooley it will leave more room for Santana Moss to work the deep/middle of the field if he is motioned before the snap to get him away from the other safety. As of now if I am a d-coordinator I would play the skins in such a manner. I'd man up (eith no help) on any WR not named Moss, cover Cooley with a safety, and keep the other safety over the top on Moss. Until a WR not name Moss steps up that is how I would generally play the Skins in passing situations.

This is actually a bigger game than we might think, if we win we will likely start at 4-0 (I think we will sweep Eagles). We may be able to come into the tough 3 game stretch of @Titans, Vikings, @Giants at 7-2. If we can go 1-2 in those we are at 8-4 and poised to get to 10 wins if we can beat Bucs and @Jags. This is a really big game for us, something I think the staff will not miss.

Expectations are that Houston tries to establish the run. If we can't stop the run it could be a long day for us. I really hope we play DT and Fred Davis more and stretch the field.

Our defense will keep us in the game, if the offense gets going we should win.

We have to double Andre. He's just that good. That's gonna leave single coverage on everyone else, and hopefully Daniels is still not 100%. Otherwise he will carve us up in the middle of the field. Who is going to cover him - Laron, Rak, Carter? I think being able to shut him down with solo coverage is the key to the game on D.

What are the chances we double Andre Johnson? I think we should put Carlos on him since Carlos is a solid man-to-man cover corner. Let DHall take Jones/Walters and let him make plays on the ball. Whatever safety is on the same side of the field as Johsnon CANNOT let Johnson get behind them.

Owen Daniels doesn't worry me because he's coming off an injury and is being eased back into the lineup, so I don't see him as being a big factor.

Foster had a great game last week, but the Colts run defense has never been special and they Texans had to run the ball to keep Peyton off the field. Foster will probably have a decent day, but no way he runs for 231 and 3 TDs against us.

I think Trent will do fine against Mario. He played well against Ware and I think either Cooley or Davis will be there to help out.

Going on what KDawg said about the Texans having problems with TEs, I think we'll see more of Davis out there this week. With Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time, we'll have a huge advantage because 1) one of them can chip Mario on their way off the line and 2) if the Texans can't cover one TE, imagine the problems they'll have with two of them.

I agree that Moss will have a good game. The Texans secondary is nothing special so I would expect McNabb to be able to pick it apart, much like he did to the Ravens in the preseason.I expect CP to have a good game too since the Texans run defense doesn't leave much to be desired. Addai was averaging 4yds a carry against them and the Colts running game isn't anything special.

Doubling Andre would do no good. Matt Schaub has absolutely no problem spreading the ball around. Jacoby Jones is a homerun threat at WR, Kevin Walter is Mr. Reliable, and then we still have Owen Daniels (first down machine). Not to mention Steve Slaton is quick, and will be used on screens.

I actually expect Carlos to draw most of the man coverage against Andre Johnson next week, not hall. We're going to need another big game from our talented secondary. Dallas had a deeper and more explosive set of weapons in the passing game and a similarly good QB and we managed to contain them. We'll have success if we can bring some pressure. All in all, the defense looked freaking legit when you consider their performance against Dallas, especially since there are still so many kinks to iron out. Holding that offense to 7 points was no small feat.

But the difference is Dallas has looked horrible in the preseason and their offense hasn't been clicking. Houston hasn't looked that way at all. Not to mention since they play for the Cowboys, the players are overrated.

Aren't they still running K Shanahan's offense? Isn't the defense essentially the same as last year? While I think the Texans are a much better team than Dallass, it seems that this staff should have reams of info and inside knowledge for this week.

Definitely not. The offense Houston ran on Sunday was not Shanahan's. If anything, Kubiak should have the advantage, since Kyle told Kubiak what plays he would like to run in situations all of last year. Kubiak either approved or disapproved of what Kyle wanted. And the last time Kubiak played M. Shanahan, Houston won 31-13.

Aren't they still running K Shanahan's offense? Isn't the defense essentially the same as last year? While I think the Texans are a much better team than Dallass, it seems that this staff should have reams of info and inside knowledge for this week.
The Texans run Kubiak's version of Mike Shanahan's offense. The difference this year is that their ZBS seems to be working at last.

The Dallas Cowboys are talented or if not more talented on offense than the Texans. With that being said, I think Haslett is going to make a change on defense with Doughty. The guy was exposed in coverage last week and I think the Texans will expose Reed if he is on the field. The Cowboys gain most of their yards and touchdown for that matter on poor plays by Doughty. The Texans defense is not as stout as the Cowboys defense. I expect alot of running the ball effectively with Portis and Armstrong, Moss, and hopefully Devin Thomas doing big things this week in the air. The Texans secondary is shaky to say the least, I do see the Skins making major strides this week.

The Dallas Cowboys are talented or if not more talented on offense than the Texans. With that being said, I think Haslett is going to make a change on defense with Doughty. The guy was exposed in coverage last week and I think the Texans will expose Reed if he is on the field. The Cowboys gain most of their yards and touchdown for that matter on poor plays by Doughty. The Texans defense is not as stout as the Cowboys defense. I expect alot of running the ball effectively with Portis and Armstrong, Moss, and hopefully Devin Thomas doing big things this week in the air. The Texans secondary is shaky to say the least, I do see the Skins making major strides this week.

The Cowgirls are overrated as they proved on Sunday and they aren't not as talented on offense as the Texas, unless you think name recognition and media attention somehow makes one more talented.

Schaub > Romo sits to pee

Texans OL > Cowgirls OL

Johnson > Williams

Walters = Austin

Jones > Bryant (as of right now)

About the only place they are better is RB because we need to find out more about Foster, though he looks to be the real deal.

KDawg great thread man! I just want to add to your original post, another Texan we have to account for...SS Bernard Pollard...IMO he is probably tied for 2nd best player on their D with DeMeco Ryans...Pollard hits like a truck AND makes plays in coverage...They like to sneak him up to the LoS, so our OL is definitely going to have to account for him in our blocking schemes...

IMHO what we need to do to win...

On D:

1.) Our NT HAS TO, I mean HAS TO, hold his ground and avoid being pushed back into the second level this game...He has to control the C, and the play-side OG, and keep the OG from getting to the 2nd level on the stretch and zone plays...

2.) Our DL/OLB's have to be more "violent" in the run game...What I mean by "violent" is they have to attack the block/blocker in front of them with their hands, extend their arms, and shed the block when they have determined the path of the ball when we 2-gap, and when we 1-gap they have to attack their gap and then "fight pressure", and not allow themselves to be washed down inside giving up a soft corner...To often in the Cowboys game in what looked to be 2-gap calls our DL/OLB's caught blocks and then tried to shed them, instead of attacking them...Or in 1-gap situations they would attack the gap and instead of fighting pressure they would allow the OL to wash them inside expecting the next man to take their vacated gap...

3.) I would match-up DHall on Johnson and rotate safety help over the top his way, allowing him to undercut/play a trail technique on Johnson...I would match Los up on Walters 1 on 1 with no help, and I would bracket Daniels with LL to the outside and Rocky to the inside...If Driessen or the RB's beat us in the passing game then so be it...

4.) Get pressure on Schaub only rushing 4 or 5...

5.) TACKLE

On O:

1.) Utilize the 2TE set as our base offense, removing the FB...Sellers is either not healthy or he is has just lost it, but he has been very ineffective in both the pass and run games, routinely missing blocks and dropping passes...using the 2TE set will allow us to get Davis on the field, which would give us a decided mis-match in the passing game against their 4-3 forcing them to go nickle which we should be able to run against...we can even utilize Cooley as a FB/H-back, a role he is familiar with from his time in the Gibbs O...

2.) Get CP 20-25 carries and LJ 5-10...The Texans front while talented is a finesse front 7(small DL and LB's without Cushing), they can be moved in the run game, and our run game began to get stronger as the game wore on against the Cowboys a much bigger, and physical front 7...Let McNabb pass 25-30 times utilizing a lot of PA...

3.) Get Armstrong and Thomas involved in the passing game this week, and continue to use Moss out of the slot and in motion to create mis-matches and space for him to get the ball...

4.) Protect McNabb

5.) score 24+ and we win the game...

The Cowgirls are overrated as they proved on Sunday and they aren't not as talented on offense as the Texas, unless you think name recognition and media attention somehow makes one more talented.

Texans OL > Cowgirls OL

Johnson > Williams

Walters = Austin

About the only place they are better is RB because we need to find out more about Foster, though he looks to be the real deal.

They didn't prove to be over-rated on Sunday night...They are one of the most talented teams in the NFL...What they proved is that their OL is old and has no depth, and that they are poorly coached/undisciplined... The better coached team won that game on Sunday night...

Schaub over Romo sits to pee is ludicrous...Romo sits to pee is more mobile than Schaub, he is just as accurate, he is more durable, and he's played at a high level longer than Schaub has...Would I take Romo sits to pee in the long run..NO, but right now I'd take him over Schaub in a heartbeat...

I'd say that the OL's are even

Johnson to Austin is a more apt comparison...I'd take Johnson only b/c he's more proven than Austin...other than that Austin is a Johnson clone, same size, same physicality, same ability to make explosive plays...

Walters and Williams are equal...Walters to Austin isn't close at all...Austin in a landslide there

I agree Jones over Bryant

There is no way Austin is comparable to Johnson. Andre Johnson easily has better route running, is faster, stronger, better leaping ability, etc. No other WR in the NFL has the same combination of size, speed, and strength that Andre Johnson has. Miles Austin is not comparable.

Calvin Johnson is bigger, faster, and just as strong. Austin might not be as talented as Andre Johnson, but he certainly is legit and he's one of the premier receivers in the league. You underestimate him looking at the situation with your homer glasses on.

Johnson will be the main threat, and leaving Rogers on him alone will be a mistake; if the defense can maintain and do their jobs without trying to be a hero {yes, you LL}, then they should be able to keep the Texans numbers down, but if they start biting on dbl fakes, it will be a long day.

I'm not worried about Foster; he did a great job last week against the Colts, but they've never had a good run D.

Discipline, discipline, discipline, thats the key to a win for the Skins...

There is no way Austin is comparable to Johnson. Andre Johnson easily has better route running, is faster, stronger, better leaping ability, etc. No other WR in the NFL has the same combination of size, speed, and strength that Andre Johnson has. Miles Austin is not comparable.

He is the better WR no doubt but Austin has everything Johnson has minus the leaping ability...So like I said he is the more APT comparison...I never said they were comparable...at least use the quote function or read my post if you want to disagree with me...

He is the better WR no doubt but Austin has everything Johnson has minus the leaping ability...So like I said he is the more APT comparison...I never said they were comparable...at least use the quote function or read my post if you want to disagree with me...

And I'll say it again, Austin DOES NOT have everything that Johnson has. It isn't even close.

Against the Colts... A.Foster 33 rushes 231 yards 7.0 YPC 3 TDs.

Those are huge numbers! Rick Dennison has succeeded in lighting a fire under the Texans' ZBS. Schaub's passing isn't our D's only worry.

This scares me more than anything. We can actually do a decent job against the pass with our pass rush. We've struggled to stop the run, by comparison. Now, that was against Dallas who has really big offensive linemen who caused mismatches against our smallish ILBs. We might do a better job with Houston who uses smaller, more athletic linemen, but I still worry.

Texans OL > Cowgirls OL

Johnson > Williams

Walters = Austin

I agree with everything you said up to Walters = Austin. Walters is a solid, reliable #2, Austin is an emerging star (hate saying anything nice about a Cowturd, but he is the real deal). I drafted Walters on my fantasy team in late rounds out of respect for your offense, but Austin proved he isn't a one-year wonder to me on Sunday night. On the flip side, I think you aren't giving Foster enough credit. He was coming on last year, he is legit. That said, he isn't the type of RB I expect this Redskin team to struggle against. He is a N-S guy of strength, not a burner. I don't think Haslett's gang is going to get run over because they put their heads down, tackle high, or make arm tackles... my concern is speed for a D that has at least a couple guys not ideal for the 3-4.

Texans OL > Cowgirls OL

Johnson > Williams

Walters = Austin

Do not get me wrong I love my Redskins until the day the bury me six feet under but please be a true Nfl observer and stop with the homer observation. Romo sits to pee is better than Schaub hands down. Romo sits to pee is dominating Schaub in every stat imaginable in the last 3 years. As a receiving corps tight ends included Dallas has the better corps. You conceded on the running backs so that makes for a clean sweep on offense. The media does give Dallas too much credit at times but before this game I notice alot of analyst primarily on NFL network and some on ESPN one being Antonio Pierce stating the Cowboys will not win the NFC east and not make the playoffs but have legitimate talent. Lets not be foolish with the Texans running game that was ranked 30th last year. I seen this same type of performance from Ryan Moats only for the team to resort back to Slaton. The Colts defense against the run is not one defense to hold with credibility. I also mentioned the Texans secondary that is shaky to say the least while the Cowboys have two legitimate corners in Newman and Jenkins that have played exceptionally well throughout their tenure with Dallas. I am not saying the Skins are going to steam roll the Texans but I think the Skins will have a better outing especially on offense against the Texans.

Andre Johnson is a much better receiver than Miles Austin, and that's taking nothing away from Austin. Johnson is just that good. Talent wise, the only guy that's close is Fitzgerald and he's real close. Calvin Johnson is probably in the same vicinity and then there's a bit of a drop off.

Do not get me wrong I love my Redskins until the day the bury me six feet under but please be a true Nfl observer and stop with the homer observation. Romo sits to pee is better than Schaub hands down. Romo sits to pee is dominating Schaub in every stat imaginable in the last 3 years. As a receiving corps tight ends included Dallas has the better corps. You conceded on the running backs so that makes for a clean sweep on offense. The media does give Dallas too much credit at times but before this game I notice alot of analyst primarily on NFL network and some on ESPN one being Antonio Pierce stating the Cowboys will not win the NFC east and not make the playoffs but have legitimate talent. Lets not be foolish with the Texans running game that was ranked 30th last year. I seen this same type of performance from Ryan Moats only for the team to resort back to Slaton. The Colts defense against the run is not one defense to hold with credibility. I also mentioned the Texans secondary that is shaky to say the least while the Cowboys have two legitimate corners in Newman and Jenkins that have played exceptionally well throughout their tenure with Dallas. I am not saying the Skins are going to steam roll the Texans but I think the Skins will have a better outing especially on offense against the Texans.

How can you tell someone else to be a true NFL Observer, yet you make a post like this?

The impression I get of Arian Foster is that he can be really effective if he has an initial opening, but that creating the gap or opening for himself is not his strong suit as his initial quickness and elusiveness is suspect. If the Skins D-line can earn ties at the point of contact his effectiveness can be reduced. He's a powerful runner once he has a head of steam, so don't let him get that early momentum.

The impression I get of Arian Foster is that he can be really effective if he has an initial opening, but that creating the gap or opening for himself is not his strong suit as his initial quickness and elusiveness is suspect. If the Skins D-line can earn ties at the point of contact his effectiveness can be reduced. He's a powerful runner once he has a head of steam, so don't let him get that early momentum.

Really? Did you watch his cuts? Dude has amazing vision. He finds whatever hole he can and bursts through it. For example:

Really? Did you watch his cuts? Dude has amazing vision. He finds whatever hole he can and bursts through it. For example:

This is the perfect example of why his stats were artificially gaudy last week. Look from :16 to :20. The entire Colts front 7 stunted left and then overpursued. Foster makes one routine cutback, and he's gone. Any back in the NFL makes that cutback.

Archived