Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going to a CAPS game v a REDSKINS game - TONIGHT WAS TERRIBLE

Club Seat Player

HB, but how soon is soon enough? I don't have a lot of sympathy for folks who roll in 30 mins prior to gametime, but should people really be expected to arrive at the stadium 3-4 hours prior to gametime? The OP said he was at Exit 17 at 5:45, and for him to not be able to pull into a spot until 7:15.......something is messed up there. Maybe he was trying too hard to look for "too perfect" of a spot, I dunno......probably doubtful.

I'm not sure why I had something else in my head when he referenced "Exit 17" ... (had he said Route 202, I'd have gotten it LOL)

That does bring forth a good question. There are plenty of factors to consider: game time, opponent, current state of the team. I started arriving ahead of the lots opening only because I want to get to the same spot every week.

I'm recalling those changes from last year that were supposed to address the issues he stated: long waits on arrival, people take multiple spaces/blocking vehicle access at the front part of parking lots, etc.

Still, someone who has been going to games as long as the OP should have planned to come earlier; perhaps at the four hour mark with the lots opening eight ahead. My approach is via Arena Drive and the cars were lined up at, or close to, Brightseat when they released us at 1200.

Others have confirmed that the Route 202 to Redskins Road approach is the worst of the bunch. There are other green lots available via Arena and Route 214/Morgan Boulevard; if he was looking to get to a specific lot, then he definitely needed to get out there sooner.

The OP is not the only one we've seen make negative posts regarding parking; it seems to be part of the regular grind. The responses here are par for the course ...

:2cents:

1. You're still 25, which affirms the entire logic behind my post. We all like to believe we'll stay exactly how we are at 25 for the rest of our lives, but that's not reality. It simply doesn't work that way. The things you find tolerable today, you won't find so much as you age.

whether you find it tolerable or not has no baring on it. it's the reality. if you don't like it you have two options - get security involved whenever you can, or don't go. of course we'd love everyone to be nice and peaceful at the game. but thats not the way the world works, especially when you're basically going to a giant bar that holds 90k people with live entertainment... thats basically all a football game is these days.

and my age has nothing to do with. i'm fully aware that those people are jackasses. you don't have to be a certain age to understand that, you just have to have a little intelligence. I don't find it tollerable because i'm 25, I just accept that that crap is going to go on at the game, and do what i can to stay away from it. The other option is to not go.

2. I never said anything about going to the zoo, so please stop using that as a comparable reference, b/c it's obviously not.

Why, you're talking about family friendliness. I can use a Pixar or Disney movie, if that'd make you happier. How about an amusement park? You're focusing on the use of the word zoo, instead of the point.

3. What's ridiculous is that you think the amount of fights and overall level of violence is the same today as it always was at RFK. It simply wasn't, and your credibility falls into question if you think it was.

Well everyone's experience is their own, and can vary. But I find it hard to believe that you didn't witness fights, rude behavoir, and completely drunk people. You used to be able to bring giant thermoses full of beer in to RFK. My grandfather and dad did it. Every game. People brought their own beer in all the time, in many many ways. You're going to seriously sit here and try to pretend that the drinking wasn't as prodominate then as is now? Drinking has always been a huge part of spectator sports, come on.

The only real difference between the two is that the RFK days saw a much higher % of redskins fans then the FedEx days do. So instead of have a handfull of cowboys fans in a section who are yelling and screaming, you probably have anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the section being cowboys fans. Which makes things excalate more.

THen factor in that you're talking about 30% more people, and as someone else has pointed out it's easier to obtain tickets now.

4. I somewhat agree regarding the logic behind night games, however, the day games still see their fair share of violence...albeit not as much as the night games.

Yes. Any event centered around drinking (which it isn't for me, and may not be for you, but is for many many people) is going to have that. Go to the same bar on friday nights often enough and you're going to see fights there too.

However you'll notice a pattern as to when they're more likely to occur. It normally happens to be when there's more people that are signifcantly more intoxicated. For the NFL - that's prime time games.

Note that I reference the levels of violence @ FedEx as being higher than that of the levels of drinking. One does not necessarily beget the other. You seem to think I'm talking about drinking, or that I have a problem with people drinking at a sporting event. Both of which are far from the truth.

Please note my point re: the difference in stadium size and mob mentality. Alcohol is merely a conduit when the elements for violence are there. At RFK, those elements were far less prominent than they are at FedEx.

I'm definitely not missing the point re: your all things disney references to family friendliness. Family friendly activites don't have to include ponies and rainbows and cotton candy. For decades they've included MOST professional sporting events. FedEx Field just seems to be the latest casualty. I think YOU are missing the point as to what qualifies as family friendly.

I'd also like to congratulate you for figuring out life at the ripe age of 25. I'm 36 and humble enough to admit that I still have a lot to learn. One thing I HAVE learned is that even your tolerance for avoiding generic crap wanes as the years go by; and yes, that ultimately leads to not attending.

Sounds like you need to stick to the ice capades. That's what happens at a real sport. Hockey should stay in canada and oversees. The year we had no hockey no one even cared.

Hockey is just as physical as football. That's why bosses like Ovechkin get their noses broken and just go back out and score four goals. You're going to call a sport where fighting is accepted soft?

Sounds like you need to stick to the ice capades. That's what happens at a real sport. Hockey should stay in canada and oversees. The year we had no hockey no one even cared.
I'm sorry, but what is your definition of a "real sport"? Hockey is definitely in that category. Apparently a guy taking a puck to the mouth, losing 8 teeth, then going back in and playing one of the rougher sports, isn't a sport at all. Completely disagree.

But honestly, to the OP, it sucks that your experience wasn't what you expected. I honestly wish it was a better experience too, but its just the way the world is nowadays. There's no fighting it. Even if they got rid of alcohol altogether in pro sports arenas, it would still be horrible. So either try to enjoy it the best you can at the live event, or watch it on TV.

Hockey is just as physical as football. That's why bosses like Ovechkin get their noses broken and just go back out and score four goals. You're going to call a sport where fighting is accepted soft?

Exactly. I think I would intentionally pick a fight with any NFL player before I would simply look at a NHL player funny. Those guys are tough and a lot of them are mean and borderline insane.

alright, you say that you've been going to games for 30 years and yet this game alone offended you? it's obvious that you're either exaggerating last night or exaggerating your experience going to sporting events. there have been other people on here complaining about the state of fed ex, so you're not the first to voice your opinion. the thing that you fail recognize is the condescending tone you take when referring to people at the game (read: many people on this board) is making you sound like some pompous holier-than thou person.

people don't come on this board to have their morals attacked. they come here to talk football, more specifically our beloved Redskins. that's also what the stadium is for, to show our support for the team we love so much that we spend our hard earned money to go watch them play. in these economic times it is harder than ever to spend money on an activity that is not necessary to live.most of us have enough bills and other financial responsibilities to have us concerned every week what might happen if we lose our job, which is a very real fear. so the fact that we choose to spend our money on the game and go out and show our support is nothing to take lightly. in fact after working hard for the money that we put into those tickets, we also use the game as an escape from the doldrums of our days. how long has everyone waited for this season to begin? what relief it was to show up and be surrounded by that many people who share the same passion. why not have a few drinks, cook on the grill some, and enjoy some banter with opposing fans.

in reality you should have known better. if you have a specific way that you live your life, that's fine. if you know that the goings-on of peasants beneath you at a football game is polar opposite of what you want to instill in your children and family, then don't take them. in fact don't even come yourself. sit in your ivory tower from the safety of your gated community and tell yourself that the world is different and not cruel and foul.

tell yourself that the games you watched are played by role models. convince yourself that you aren't watching a sport played by men who are rapists, murderers, drug dealers, drunken with power who want their financial gain above all else. look at guys like jason taylor and kurt warner and tell yourself that's what everyone is. they all are selfless individuals who love the game and want to help everyone they can.

your problem is not with the redskins, the fans, parking, or traffic. your problem is that your perception of how things should be and how they are is so askew that you are appalled when the lime tastes sour. i would recommend that you never return to fed ex. in time you'll say the same about the verizon center, which if i recall correctly violated every health code known to man, but a great family venue. you'll move down your list and eventually you'll be left watching nothing but pbs.

certainly sir, competitive sports are not for you, nor any of your ilk.

and to each his own.

HTTR

Thanks - Ive been going for THIRTY YEARS. This wasnt my first rodeo. Are you telling me the CAPS dont play a savage sport?

Look, this needed to be said and Im sure there are lurkers who will support what I said. I was at the Eagles game where the smoke bomb went off/opening night against the Jets where there were hundreds of fights. Its just getting worse. I go to every regular season game and I know this isnt church. But to those who act like they are entitled to a good time and no one else is --- I say please reflect --- its going downhill. It needed to be said and many who are reading this know it to be true. Thousands of true Skins fans who would never sell their tickets on ebay or stubhub have given them up because things are getting out of hand.

Who gave you the right to speak for "thousands of true Skins fans" and to assume that there are "lurkers" that support your view? You have an oppinion, state it, don't appoint yourself as speaker for "thousands of Skins fans" and "lurkers" to say what YOU think "needed to be said". Speak your mind, say your piece, and be a man and stick to it. If you truly believe in what you're saying you don't need to draw other people in to support your view. Personally, I agree with some of what you said and I didn't agree with some of what you said. But, I just get tired of people who come on here and think they speak for "thousands" of fans. Just speak YOUR mind and opinion and stop trying to speak for others.

I remember threads only a couple years ago complaining how Danny had sold out the Redskins gameday experience to the wine and cheese crowd. The tailgating upper level beer drinkers complain about the Club seat wine drinkers and the Club seat wine drinkers complain about the beer drinkers.

I guess you can't make everyone happy when there's 90,000 people in one place.

Slow down guy. I clearly remember punching a hole in my wall when I found out there would be no season in 2005. Sounds like you need to open up your mind.

I left Bethesda at 5pm -- got to exit 17 at 535p. I did not pull into my green lot spot until 715p. It was a mad house. It didnt have to be this way, but FEDEX traffic management gets an F and most of you are inconsiderate human beings. To those who read this and it doesnt apply, excuse me. For those who do - this was a miserable night for me and my guests and its thanks to you.

Let me say - I think going to FEDEX was miserable tonight - the worst ever and Ive gone to games for 30 years. Ill never go to a night game again. No judeo-christian valued family loving person with a kind soul could enjoy what happened to many of us tonight.

1. People - why do you feel so entitled to take up 5 spaces for your tailgate. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

2. Why do you all stand in the parking aisles so no one can find a space.

3. Why once someone is pulling in to a marked space - do you look at them like they did something wrong.

4. When someone is pulling in - move your chairs and BBQ.

5. Show some class - want to drink? Get buzzed, but do you have to act like savages?

6. Cussing, cussing cussing.

7. When someone has to go to the bathroom, please stand up and let them through the aisle.

8. When someone else has to go to the bathroom - stand up and let them through without harassment.

9. Why is a restroom a place to start fights and not flush.

10. Why do you smoke in front of no smoking signs?

This had a frat party atmosphere (not the good ones - the kind youd fear for your daughter in). I feared for my safety a number of times. It wasnt fun and I couldnt enjoy the game.

Ive been to a number of CAPS games. Easy parking. Metro. Fans who show one another class and dignity. Family atmosphere.

Look, I know this wasnt meant for all of you - but to those who this applied to - think....is this the way your grandmother raised you? Cant you be decent to another fellow fan?

Arent you embarrassed no one in their right mind would bring a kid or teenager to this environment?

Arent you embarrassed HBO did an expose on FEDEX field and it was worse than ever tonight?

I left at halftime and its your fault. You know who you are and shame on you.

Yeah, you're right about everything. And the Caps game experience is 100 times better. But the Redskins and Fed Ex is all we have. So if you want to see pro football, you have to put up with all the crapola.

Get off your high horse with this holier than thou attitude. If you've been going to games for 30 years you should know what to expect. Stop whining.

So that he should know to expect a poor experience makes it okay that there IS a poor fan experience at Fed Ex? Now that is brilliant logic. Are you a rocket scientist by trade?

So that he should know to expect a poor experience makes it okay that there IS a poor fan experience at Fed Ex? Now that is brilliant logic. Are you a rocket scientist by trade?

Please tell me where I said it's okay to have a poor experience? If you've been going to home games for 30 years like said he did, then he's got to know that there are always drunk dumbasses at games that try and ruin the fun for everyone else. You're bound to run into a few of them every now and then. I may not be a rocket scientist but I can see that reading comprehension isn't something you possess and I'm sorry for that.

Man where were you sitting? Sorry you didn't enjoy the game dude but going into this game with all the hype surrounding it, the parking lots opening up at 12, playing Dallas on opening night, I knew what I would be getting into.

Hmmm seems to me like there's also nothing in this response that said it was okay to have a poor fan experience.

Club Seat Owner is not off his rocker -- there are many drunks at Fed Ex (including, alas, Increase Mather), but it's far less of a hostile environment than many other sporting venues. I attended an Alabama-Auburn game one time in Birmingham. Drunken, aggressive doofuses abounded. One Alabama fan was in our Auburn section when the Tide scored. Dude stood up, dropped trou, bent over, and displayed the white moon to a good 350 fans sitting above him. Objects came flying out of the stands, none of which hit his arse, but one of which caught me in the head. Curse words flew with abandon, especially when alabama dude used his hands to spread the cheeks. Club seat owner should be praising the restraint and reasonableness of skins fans. Trust me, it could be much worse-

To the op, why didn't you just ***** and moan to the people you were with. I think I speak for the majority when I say that we don't really care if you ever go again. I am most likely one of those *******s. ****ing beers, ball, babes, fights, r rated langauge, danger lurking around every bathroom wall. You seem boring. Get a nice tv and stay home. The tv talking heads aren't allowed to curse. I'm gonna go eat a steak and do some push ups. **** dallas go Redskins.

yes i am they skate around like panzies. they get there noses broke and teeth knocked out because the dont cover there face. thats not really fighting. i have never had someone continue standing when i have blasted them in the jaw. these guys swing like girls for 8 mins.

yes i am they skate around like panzies. they get there noses broke and teeth knocked out because the dont cover there face. thats not really fighting. i have never had someone continue standing when i have blasted them in the jaw. these guys swing like girls for 8 mins.

Dude you're ****ing nuts if you call these guys pansies. I'd pay big money to see your ass skating around there while these dudes try to take your head off.

o0pqSsgX2dw&feature=related

Archived