Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll:Are we really gonna struggle running the ball?

darrelgreenie

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think we will in the first couple weeks. But, our running game will slowly improve as the season progresses. I also think Torain and Williams will be our 2 headed monster by the end of the seaon.

I don't even expect us to struggle the first couple of weeks. I do, however, expect the run game to get off to a slow start against Dallas before really kicking it into gear.

Shanny plays for first downs and has proven that he can run with any back. The O-line will get in a rhythm. The opposing defenses are going to have to deal a fresh Larry Johnson in the 4qtr after getting pounded by Portis and chasing Mcnabb all over the place.

It's going to be good.

Meh, aside from the fact we've got a completley new system in place (within which I'm real excited to see the slimmed down CP "one cut and go"), and have been running the bare minimum of the playbook; it's pre-season, and the overall league vogue of late has been to get the passing game in synch for week one, and worry anout pounding it later.

I've no concerns that what we've seen to date, will be completley different come Dallas.

Hail.

How many times have you watched the run game not develop until the second half? About half the time. In order to get a good read on the run game you are going to have to play a FULL GAME. You can't make decisions based on a series here or series there with different people each time. There will be no continuity or cohesiveness in what works and doesn't against a particular defensive front.

The Skins will have some success against Dallas on the ground, trust your coaches & CP!

They might need to make a few adjustments during the first quarter or couple of possessions, but then they will find the weakness and play to their strength. I do believe that's how it works!

HTTR!!!

No, Shanny and company know what they're doing.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Early_On__Redskins__Ground_Game_a_Work_In_Progress_147907.jsp

“We have played two pretty good defenses [in preseason] and we haven’t had much of a game plan,” Shanahan said. “Our running game will get there. It is a process. But that was a very respectable defense we played at the Jets and also with Baltimore. They are two very good teams.

You’ve got to really have a game plan you have to really be committed to run the ball against those two football teams. It is not going to be much tougher than that.”

I'd be surprised if we didn't. Esp. at first. We've been a mediocre to poor running team for a couple of years now. Our o line hasn't shone in run blocking in the preseason, non of our running backs have looked good, and all of them have a lot of wear on the tires.

I don't think we'll be terrible, but I don't see our running game scaring many.

I hope I'm wrong.

My only concern is if it will in fact be easier for defensive linemen to hold with the new umpire location. Or conversely, if offensive linemen see more holding penalties. But that affects all 32 rushing games, not just us obviously.

But other than that, no I am not concerned. Portis has looked good. Shanahan will stick with the run, which is half the battle. And the running game will get better over the course of 4 quarters of consistent pressure on a defense.

No, Shanny and company know what they're doing.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Early_On__Redskins__Ground_Game_a_Work_In_Progress_147907.jsp

“We have played two pretty good defenses [in preseason] and we haven’t had much of a game plan,” Shanahan said. “Our running game will get there. It is a process. But that was a very respectable defense we played at the Jets and also with Baltimore. They are two very good teams.

You’ve got to really have a game plan you have to really be committed to run the ball against those two football teams. It is not going to be much tougher than that.”

Very good points and post Hig, Shanny knows what he is doing that is the diff.

If I know Shan, we will chop block and hold on every play until the running game gets going.

See the above + I would not want to be playing against him, but having him as our coach is a great thing. He will run the ball and he will be successful doing it.

I think the running game will be fine. I think the rough past couple of games running the ball had more to do with the Jets and Ravens Run D then anything else. Werent they num 1 and 2 last year against the run? If Portis's ankle injury isn't too serious and he stays healthy, he could have a 1500+ YD season like he was on track for in 08' before he wore down. I can't wait for this preseason to be over so we can watch Portis run all over the Cowpukes!! HTTR!!!

I didn't vote on your poll, DG, because you don't have an option for "I haven't got a clue."

Houston has had a problem getting their ZBS in gear in previous seasons, but Rick Dennison has theirs going this preseason.

Our offense is really odd. Ordinarily, after a scheme switch, the passing game is slow to develop, but the run game shows some signs of life early on. We've seen the opposite.

In a power blocking scheme, if you have the horses, you'll know it right away. That doesn't seem to be the case with the ZBS. Unless, of course, our guys just can't block.

I didn't vote on your poll, DG, because you don't have an option for "I haven't got a clue."

Houston has had a problem getting their ZBS in gear in previous seasons, but Rick Dennison has theirs going this preseason.

Our offense is really odd. Ordinarily, after a scheme switch, the passing game is slow to develop, but the run game shows some signs of life early on. We've seen the opposite.

In a power blocking scheme, if you have the horses, you'll know it right away. That doesn't seem to be the case with the ZBS. Unless, of course, our guys just can't block.

You make good points but the variance to those points are clear. Shanny won't show all his cards and the line will have to gel and play together well for this system to work. NOw your main point, "I haven't got a clue" can't be argued.

I really don't think so for a couple reasons. Firstly, Mike Shanahan ALWAYS has a running game. If there's one thing he's proven he can do it's find a way to run the ball effectively with whoever is available. Secondly, the last two teams we've played are two, if no the two, best run stopping teams in the league. Thirdly, it's preseason, we aren't gameplanning, backs aren't given a real opportunity to get into a rythm and the commitment to the running game isn't what it will be in the regular season because the coaches have things they need to see in the passing game, especially with the unsettled nature of the WR position right now. Lastly, Clinton Portis is CLEARLY our best ball carrier and he's only had 9 carries this preseason.

Basically, the running game is probably the thing I'm least worried about regarding our team this season. I just fully believe that with the Shanys in charge the running game will be solid. There's quite a history to overcome there to say we won't be able to run the ball. This is the guy who's famous partially for turning no name RB after no name RB into 1200 yard rushers. He'll find a way to make it happen.

I went back to look at how quickly Shanahan got Denver's running game going after he took over as head coach and the results were pretty impressive. Before Shanahan's arrival with Wade Philips as head coach of the Broncos:

YEAR RUSHING RANK

1992 26

1993 18

1994 23

Shanahan arrived in 1995, and the running game immediately took off:

YEAR RUSHING RANK

1995 5

1996 1

1997 4

1998 2

1999 12

2000 3

2001 10

2002 5

2003 2

2004 2

2006 8

2007 9

2008 12

Moral of the story? Shanahan was shockingly consistent with the running game while he was in Denver and drastically improved their running game from day one. Before I went back to look at these numbers I thought we'd struggle this year as our line got used to the ZBS, but seeing Shanahans history of making the running game work well over 13 years with countless changes in personnel gives me confidence he'll make it work this year.

I am thinking there is one truly legit running back on this team, and that is Portis and I am not worried about him.

Shanahan knows what he has in him, and didn't show much of him in the pre-season - because a) he does know what he has in him, B) he didn't want anyone to take too much notice.

In very limited action (9 total carries) against some good running defenses (and only against starters) he averaged 4.3 ypc. That is higher than any season ypc average he has had in Washington and only lower than his career average due to two years with a 5.5 ypc avg in Den.

Running game will be fine, the Skins haven't tried to feature it during the pre-season at ALL. I've noticed a focus on the passing game in every single game thus far, makes me think the team is more worried about WR than RB.

Once Kyle opens up the playbook the running game is gonna tear it up.

:2cents:

Archived