Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What about this year's Defense

tonyriggins

It will be the weak link, but how bad will it be? I dont think we can stop the run and that will open up big passing plays! It will proabley get ugly this year. I know our D has been the strength, but with the new changes it will take time to be alot of time.

I'll say it like I have said all pre-season lets just wait until the regular season starts and we start using our full playbook and the true scheme. You are right with your last point it will take time there is no doubt about it we don't have all the best true 3-4 guys now but in a year or so that could be a different story no doubt about it

why do people keep saying this? i think our defense has looked ridiculous against the pass.. def have a sick pass rush, and we have been forcing a ton of turnovers... and this is our weak link? as a poster above said, 7 turnovers and what 6 or 7 sacks so far? in 5 quarters of football? our d will be awesome this year

haslett said the redskins would resemble the Saints defense in that its main priority is to get turnovers. They are a bend don't break system.

What you have to look at is the redzone percentage. How many TDs they give up in the redzone and if they get turnovers.

Haslett has even said he doesn't care if they give up yards so long as they keep the team out of the endzone and they create turnovers.

I think it will make for an exciting defense that will blitz the hell out of opponets and create turnovers.

Our Pass Defense looks good, if anything I could see our rushing defense being a little shaky but that is to be expected when you start the transition to a 3-4 once the LBs start getting more used to their gap assignments we should be all right. On a side note, I was talking Landry up to my friends all the past week and then he made me look like an idiot on that long LT scamper.

People always seem to overreact to preseason. Once we stiffen up the run D, the defense will be fine. Remember that there's little gameplanning that goes on in preseason. We're running basic packages now. Especially with Haslett's 3-4, it's going to be aggressive and show a lot of looks (unlike Blache). I expect them to take it to that next level as players get more comfortable in the scheme.

We are getting more pressure, more turnovers. That's what counts. Forget the yards allowed, we aren't letting teams score and we're getting the ball back for the offense. That's what matters.

I expect the D to help carry the team early on, as offensive changes usually take longer to adjust to.

What I like about this defense, besides the turnovers, we are swarming the ball. On almost every play there are 3 or 4 defenders on the ball. Is it just me or is Orakpo getting held on like every play? He has been in the backfield alot and everytime there is a lineman with his arm around him. The jets lineman, dont remember who it was, was trying to pull his pants down!!

I think the Defense is going to get the run gaps covered. There will be a few errors, but they are going to be a strength and not a weakness. They have done a good job holding opponents in the redzone. and have created turnovers.

I can see there is going to be some growing pains in the beginning, but hopefully the gaps that are found during the learning period don't translate to too many TD's. Teams are going to get a few plays where they get a chunk of yards but this Defense is going to give the ball back to the offense!

Turnovers are well worth the transitional pains of going to a 3-4 Defense. Just ask Rex Ryan!

HTTR!!!!

I am very concerned about maake k. I keyed on him this game and his first step is very weak, gets no push and gets pushed back alot. On one play, the ball was hiked and it lietrally took him like a full second to start his rush.

Agreed. It appears he is still not healthy. I thought I read somewhere that he was quoted as saying he was only about 70%. Also, the guy sat out last season. I imagine it would take longer for a big NT to get back to 100% as compared to other positions. I think he'll be alright as he continues to get back fully healthy. :helmet:

Why do you say that? Our starting defense held them to 3 points and our second-team defense held their first string offense to a TD late in the game.

Not to mention we forced a pick, four fumbles and four sacks.

I thought our defense looked just fine? :whoknows:

Really? I dont know about you but getting gashed in the running game doesnt sit well with me. Sanchez is bottom 5 starter in the league right now. A average QB puts more points on the board. Buchanon made a ncie play....after getting beat horribly. DL is consistently getting blown off the LOS in the middle. Simply put this defense is going to have alot of trouble. It's good that we are creating and getting turnovers, but giving up chuncks of yardage on the ground consistently is going to get you killed.

IMO, the defense will be high risk and high reward. I think they will get the TO's that were missing in years past, but if they get beat it could be really bad. I'm still get used to the 3-4 and it's still going to take some getting used to when the regular season rolls around as well.

Our run defense is pretty terrible. You can't say "it's just preseason" given how the Ravens and Jets run D have performed in preseason games.

And despite our shoddy run D we've given up pretty much only field goals AND created a lot of turnovers?

I'll take it if that's the case.

The rush yardage is based on 3 or 4 plays.

LT had a 41 yard run last night that should have been stopped 3 yards from the line of scrimmage if Landry makes the play. That is correctable, it is not a physical or talent deficiency.

Against the Ravens, the 40 yard fake punt counts against the yardage total and boosts the per carry average significantly.

I hope it didn't past anyone's notice that both the Ravens and the Jets left their starters in the games to the point where it became obvious to me that these teams weren't evaluating players as much as simply trying to win these 'meaningless' preseason games.

Heck, Shanahan had Beck out there with the second and third team lines when Sanchez and Shonn Greene were still on the field with Braylon Edwards.

I agree that Kemoeatu is not 100% because he doesn't look like the player he was in the middle in the Baltimore 3-4. But he is our best option at NT and while it may take several more weeks, I think he will get there.

The other thing is compared to the Ravens and Jets, Haslett isn't showing ANY blitz packages or anything that was promised in this scheme to 'shake things up'. So, one has to imagine that's being kept in the closet until the opener.

haslett said the redskins would resemble the Saints defense in that its main priority is to get turnovers. They are a bend don't break system.

What you have to look at is the redzone percentage. How many TDs they give up in the redzone and if they get turnovers.

Haslett has even said he doesn't care if they give up yards so long as they keep the team out of the endzone and they create turnovers.

I think it will make for an exciting defense that will blitz the hell out of opponets and create turnovers.

That isn't a bend but don't break defense. That is the complete opposite of one. Blache's D was bend but don't break.

I do agree with the rest of what you're saying though. I expect our D to give up big plays every once in a while, but also create some. I could see Hall having a 5+ INT season and Orakpo forcing 3+ fumbles(unless he keeps getting held).

The only way we can play this type of D though is if we're able to score points on offense. The Saints D worked because Brees always gave them leads, which allowed them to tee off and attack QBs.

Archived