Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What about this year's Defense

tonyriggins

Really? I dont know about you but getting gashed in the running game doesnt sit well with me. Sanchez is bottom 5 starter in the league right now. A average QB puts more points on the board. Buchanon made a ncie play....after getting beat horribly. DL is consistently getting blown off the LOS in the middle. Simply put this defense is going to have alot of trouble. It's good that we are creating and getting turnovers, but giving up chuncks of yardage on the ground consistently is going to get you killed.

I'm perfectly fine with giving up yards. Our first team D has yet to give up a sustained drive TD. The only one we did give up was against the Ravens after the fake punt. You can't ask for much more than that. We might give up the occasional long run, but normally after that we recover and force a punt or turnover.

Honestly, who cares how many yards we give up if we win?

That isn't a bend but don't break defense. That is the complete opposite of one. Blache's D was bend but don't break.

The only way we can play this type of D though is if we're able to score points on offense. The Saints D worked because Brees always gave them leads, which allowed them to tee off and attack QBs.

Very good post. when the gumbies say our D last year sucked and that it needed to be changed to a 3-4 they tend to ignore both of those facts.

a more aggresive 4-3 would work just as well if not better. but I am heartened by the turnovers.

I'd like to see more 3 and outs too. I think people underestimate just how demoralizing a 3 and out can be for the opposing offense(lord knows we've seen many of them for our side :(). A 3 and out is almost like a turnover anyway, it gets a fatigued D back on the field with no time to rest.

haslett said the redskins would resemble the Saints defense in that its main priority is to get turnovers. They are a bend don't break system.

I agree with the turnovers, but if you think the Skins will have a "bend but don't break" scheme, you are not paying attention.

What you see now is a defense with no game plan. This defense will come after offenses.

Really? I dont know about you but getting gashed in the running game doesnt sit well with me. Sanchez is bottom 5 starter in the league right now. A average QB puts more points on the board. Buchanon made a ncie play....after getting beat horribly. DL is consistently getting blown off the LOS in the middle. Simply put this defense is going to have alot of trouble. It's good that we are creating and getting turnovers, but giving up chuncks of yardage on the ground consistently is going to get you killed.

Almost all of the rushing chunks came in the first quarter. Haslett noticeably adjusted guys' positions and tightened up on the run in the 2nd quarter. Flacco is a better QB than Sanchez and he has better weapons and our defense shut him down last week too. There may be growing pains in run defense but at the end of the game when we've forced more turnovers and sacks and given our offense more opportunities to put points on the board, we've done our job on defense.

I think too many of us are used to the Blache/Williams "bend but don't break" defense that stalls out a lot of drives for teams but doesn't produce many turnovers. I'd rather give up a few big runs during the game and be able to give the offense that short field to work with.

Looking at the stats and the score I don't know how anyone could be upset with the way our defense played last night. Multiple sacks, fumbles and a pick. That is the kind of defense that teams need to be champions.

I'm concerned with certain aspects of the defense but not the entire unit.

They've gotta get better at stopping the run for example. Which seems to be from players getting out of position more than anything else. Which is fixable.

But the emphasis on creating turnovers is really paying off.

I think our Defense will give up yards, but will make up for it with TO's, especially in the red zone. I'll take that over being a top five D just because we don't let teams rack up yards but have it really mean little in terms of winning games.

That being said, our weakest link right now is unfortunately the NT position, or more specifically Maake Kemoueatu. I think Carter will be fine and we've got the right scheme in place to generate TOs, but if you're NT cannot penetrate into the backfield when he is one on one and is pushed back almost every single time he is double-teamed, that's going to be a massive problem in the running game up the middle for us. Teams can get at least 3-4 yards a carry every run that way.

I'm hoping he gets better. If he does, we'll be one of the top defenses this year easily. If he doesn't, we'll see what we've been seeing... teams can rack up yards especially running the ball, but we'll (hopefully) generate enough TOs to negate that.

I think the Defense is going to get the run gaps covered. There will be a few errors, but they are going to be a strength and not a weakness. They have done a good job holding opponents in the redzone. and have created turnovers.

I can see there is going to be some growing pains in the beginning, but hopefully the gaps that are found during the learning period don't translate to too many TD's. Teams are going to get a few plays where they get a chunk of yards but this Defense is going to give the ball back to the offense!

Turnovers are well worth the transitional pains of going to a 3-4 Defense. Just ask Rex Ryan!

HTTR!!!!

I agree with all you've said here.

Except I wouldn't ask Rex Ryan. I'd probably punch him in the face. I hate that smarmy ****.:D

Almost all of the rushing chunks came in the first quarter. Haslett noticeably adjusted guys' positions and tightened up on the run in the 2nd quarter. Flacco is a better QB than Sanchez and he has better weapons and our defense shut him down last week too. There may be growing pains in run defense but at the end of the game when we've forced more turnovers and sacks and given our offense more opportunities to put points on the board, we've done our job on defense.

I think too many of us are used to the Blache/Williams "bend but don't break" defense that stalls out a lot of drives for teams but doesn't produce many turnovers. I'd rather give up a few big runs during the game and be able to give the offense that short field to work with.

Looking at the stats and the score I don't know how anyone could be upset with the way our defense played last night. Multiple sacks, fumbles and a pick. That is the kind of defense that teams need to be champions.

Keep thinking that. And calling G. Williams a "bend/dont break" DC is insane. Saying something like that pretty much takes any credibilty you had. Blache was a PoS and I said that from day ONE here was here as a DLine coach. Fact of that matter is this, if we dont stop the run, it wont matter if we can get picks. Because teams will run the ball down our throat and not have to pass. And our D will get worn out and give up even more points as the game progresses. We might not be gameplanning on defense, but neither are the teams that are running all over us on offense. Funny how everyone seems to forget that point. There are holes in our LB crew and the DL is getting knocked back at the PoA. It could be a long year defensively. At least there is hope on the offensive side we can score 25 or more points, because we might have to regularly.

I'm concerned with certain aspects of the defense but not the entire unit.

They've gotta get better at stopping the run for example. Which seems to be from players getting out of position more than anything else. Which is fixable.

But the emphasis on creating turnovers is really paying off.

^^ I agree with this, I have the same observation/feelings about the D thus far.

Sorry, not buying that. Even the Bills gashed us. I know everyone seems to think that the switch to the 3-4 is going to be great, but we will be worse this year. We dont have the LBS to run it, and we dont have a dominate NT. It's going to have growing pains.

Is it wrong that I completely disregarded this post because Morne failed to correctly type "dominant NT"?

Keep thinking that. And calling G. Williams a "bend/dont break" DC is insane. Saying something like that pretty much takes any credibilty you had. Blache was a PoS and I said that from day ONE here was here as a DLine coach. Fact of that matter is this, if we dont stop the run, it wont matter if we can get picks. Because teams will run the ball down our throat and not have to pass. And our D will get worn out and give up even more points as the game progresses. We might not be gameplanning on defense, but neither are the teams that are running all over us on offense. Funny how everyone seems to forget that point. There are holes in our LB crew and the DL is getting knocked back at the PoA. It could be a long year defensively. At least there is hope on the offensive side we can score 25 or more points, because we might have to regularly.

Cool down chief, no need to get all butthurt. Go back and look at the stats, and then the score, then tell me why you're so upset about the way the defense played. Then take into account that we were playing the top rushing team from 2009 and that maybe LT still has something left in the tank, and also that we had our 2nd string defense out there in the 3rd while their starting offense was still on the field. Don't hit the panic button just yet.

I'll say it like I have said all pre-season lets just wait until the regular season starts and we start using our full playbook and the true scheme.

and our opponents will using their full playbook and the true schemes when the season starts

i think they will get better as they adjust. I see Carter as our weak link out of the starting 11

Archived