Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Fanhouse: Mike Shanahan Not Taking Albert Haynesworth's Excuses (Merged)

spanishomelette

Was this really the case. This is the first I've heard of this.

I was there at the game and during the goal line stand when I think McGhee punched it through (or so they said. He didn't break the plane and Fletch was begging for the challenge flag) he ran out of the game and was getting an ear lashing from someone. I couldn't tell if it was Shanny or Haslett.

6. Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.

Type in your profane word and let the filters do their job. Then check your post to see if the profanity was replaced with asterisks. Veiled or "subtle" attempts at using profanity are unacceptable. We allow the use of either all asterisks/symbols or none at all. For example "****" and "#&*%$" are acceptable, while “s**t” or “sh*t" are not.

ThankYou!

He stomped a Cowboys face...got off light...Al won.

He sped and wrecked/paralyzed an innocent driver...got off light...Al won.

He threatened a teammate with a pipe at Tennessee...got off light...Al won.

Al has always been able to get away......unscathed.

Now he's facing off with Shanny...Al will lose.

Obviously Al didn't get the memo.

A positive paradigm shift has happened in DC; too bad he doesn't want to be a part of it.

I dunno...sometimes it's better to accept that you can't control every single aspect of life around you than it is to become a zero-tolerance dictator and try and control things to that small a level. If Shanahan is playing this smart, though, he's laying down the law with an iron glove now knowing that he'll ease up on things later.

That's kind of the point: lay down the law and get the bad teammates out of town, and then you can be more friendly once your team is made up of players who you don't have to force to be good teammates.

I dunno...sometimes it's better to accept that you can't control every single aspect of life around you than it is to become a zero-tolerance dictator and try and control things to that small a level. If Shanahan is playing this smart, though, he's laying down the law with an iron glove now knowing that he'll ease up on things later.

Thats exactly what is needed. The rule book with such draconian things like no double parking. Picking at the little small details and being a complete hard ass with AH.

You MUST do that at first. Its always easier to come in with an iron fist and loosen things up, as opposed to doing the opposite

This was frankly my worry earlier in the offseason about Shanahan, but not any longer. I was worried that Shanahan would be *only* about the rules, which is its own problem, and has been the downfall of some coaches.

However, I've seen clear evidence that he is providing positive reinforcement as well as negative reinforcement. During camp, he gave a few days off to selected veterans. After a bad practice, he let the whole team have some time off. He specifically designed TC practices to have less contact than other teams, to reduce the likelihood of injury, and the team managed to finish camp among the healthiest in the NFL. With regard to Haynesworth, Shanahan has taken on the bad cop role while also ensuring that Haynesworth has a good cop at his side in Haslett, and has generally refrained from taking excessive shots at Haynesworth, in public or private.

These moves tell me that Shanahan has gained the wisdom of what matters in the NFL. Rules matter, but they should be the important, big rules. For those rules: no exceptions. Hard work matters, but seniority, hard work and good performance earn rewards. Injuries are the biggest X factor and the biggest fear for players; Shanahan does everything in his power to protect against injuries and earns the gratitude of his players. With Haynesworth, Shanahan has refused to make it personal and simply made decisions and public comments with regard to the rules: it's the rules that affect Haynesworth, not any kind of vendetta. That's not spin: it's the truth. The sooner Haynesworth grasps this, the sooner he starts.

I've never seen a better demonstration of team management than Shanahan is exhibiting this year. Let's face it: the Redskins were a hard case. Forget the glory years; in the past decade, the team has had dysfunction baked into its DNA. This goes far beyond Haynesworth, to the culture created by Snyder and Cerrato. Haynesworth was the symptom of the problem, not the problem.

The season could stop right now, and I'd vote Shanahan as the best Redskins coach of my lifetime. No coach has done more, in such a short time, to make this team and this franchise a winner.

This is ridiculous. Does Haynesworth have any motivation to play football? This a guy who Reggie White thought was going to be better than him. What a waste of talent. Dan Wilkinson would be proud.

Furthermore, I think his rhabdomyolysis may be due to his fast weight loss over the summer. The guy dropped 30lbs in muscle. :doh:

why trade for one problem for another problem

also the seahawks are considered the prime target to land v jackson

Well one problem doesn't want to have anything to do with this organization and coaching staff while the other has had issues off the field and is probably one more off the field incident from being gone for a year. My heart says don't do the trade if it involved them but my mind says Jackson with a coach like Shanahan will never let any of that stuff occur under his watch and he would be an instant star on this team with a down the field passing offense

It's also a chess match with the Washington Post.

This was an exclusive for AOL Fanhouse / Thomas George (national correspondent). Shanahan did not speak to the media generally today, but did hold an interview with George. Rich Campbell says so here:

In tandem with the firing of Zack Bolno, this is a major power play by Shanahan against the Post and against anonymous leaks by Redskin officials, in my opinion. Leak to the press? Get fired. Use anonymous sources against the interest of the team? Find yourself in the cold as a journalist.

From a management perspective, this is riveting stuff. Shanahan is laying down the law. With Haynesworth, and by extension the team. With Zack Bolno, and extension all Redskins staff. With the Washington Post, and by extension, all of the media. I like it.

Right now, Shanahan is master of the universe. We've never seen such an effective management. The outcome may be uncertain, but the system and the rules will prevail without exceptions. The system and the rules are the necessary foundation for a successful franchise.

Go Shanny:D I'm glad that he's taking a hard stance against members of the Redskins organization leaking info to the local media (Post/Kelli Johnson,etc). There were all sorts of leaks with the team last year, especially the Portis/Sellers incident. Clean house if necessary Shanny and Bruce. So often ***** and moan about the players inappropriate conduct/comments,it should also apply to the various staff members.

Not sure why some think we should cut or trade him for low value. If MS is in control, he's in control, and there's thus no need to panic or make some desperate move. If AH becomes too much of a distraction, just deactivate him and be patient for decent value once a few teams lose key starters, or want to add someone for the post-season push. What's he gonna do? Cry to the media? Who cares? Doesn't matter as long as MS has control of the rest of the room.

My heart says don't do the trade if it involved them but my mind says Jackson with a coach like Shanahan will never let any of that stuff occur under his watch and he would be an instant star on this team with a down the field passing offense

Darrent Williams was murdered on Shanahan's watch. That's in no way Shanahan's fault, obviously, but it illustrates that off-the-field issues are often beyond the coach's control.

When players are away from the facility, you have count on them to police themselves. That's not something Vincent Jackson has shown he can do. For that reason, I'd be hesitant to bring him in here.

Darrent Williams was murdered on Shanahan's watch. That's in no way Shanahan's fault, obviously, but it illustrates that off-the-field issues are often beyond the coach's control.

When players are away from the facility, you have count on them to police themselves. That's not something Vincent Jackson has shown he can do. For that reason, I'd be hesitant to bring him in here.

wasnt darrent williams partying with brandon marshall? I heard somewhere that those shots were meant for marshall. Point being in NO WAY was this shannahans fault. That is like blaming joe gibbs for sean taylor :(

and no, i dont have a source, it was on this board.

If his condition lurks for the next two weeks, I say put him on IR. At least then the Skins can use the roster spot for someone whose heart is in it while simultaneously not giving AH what he wants. Then he can sit at home and pamper himself to his heart's content.

On a side note, I love hot chicks. And after scouring the internet late at night, my view of hot chicks have done a complete 360.

Archived