Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Fanhouse: Mike Shanahan Not Taking Albert Haynesworth's Excuses (Merged)

spanishomelette

How is trading or cutting Haynesworth Shanahan's trump card?? That's exactly what AH wants, he'd be doing AH a favor. If he gets that and keeps the money, he'll have come out ahead.

And!? Eff him. This isnt a pissing contest. This is about having a sane locker room. Who cares if AH 'wins' by us cutting him ortrading him?! as long as he is gone aren't we really the winners?

The chess game continues.

It was obvious AH wanted to be treated like a starter even though he hadn't practiced all week. He milked the conditioning test for over a week, and he milked the dehydration for three days.

I work with children, every day. This is exactly the kind of behavior you expect from a rebellious child who is challenging a new authority. You give an inch, and they try and take two, until they are checked.

Just another test, and another check. Most likely this will end with AH breaking, and falling in to line...at least one hopes. What remains to be seen is how far AH intends to push, and whether Shanny will hold strong. My money is on Shanny.

Nice shot at Cerrato/Zorn by Shanahan:

"One thing for sure that is clear to me is that Albert has gotten away in the past with playing without practicing,'' Shanahan said. "That will not happen under this regime."

not just Zorn and Cerrato, but way back to his Titan's years also. As was mentioned in another thread by Destino, this guy has probably always been this way, and it's common knowledge to everybody but the fans.

I don't think he can be fixed.

Im not gonna lie, I love Shanny's prescence here as well. It is SO refreshing. I also love how he just wrote it all out on the wall for Haynesworth in the media. Now its Al's move. Interesting chess match we have here.

It's also a chess match with the Washington Post.

This was an exclusive for AOL Fanhouse / Thomas George (national correspondent). Shanahan did not speak to the media generally today, but did hold an interview with George. Rich Campbell says so here:

Mike Shanahan wasn't made available to local media today, but he spoke to Fanhouse; said he's not aware of any disorder http://bit.ly/aoGaCI

31 minutes ago via web

In tandem with the firing of Zack Bolno, this is a major power play by Shanahan against the Post and against anonymous leaks by Redskin officials, in my opinion. Leak to the press? Get fired. Use anonymous sources against the interest of the team? Find yourself in the cold as a journalist.

From a management perspective, this is riveting stuff. Shanahan is laying down the law. With Haynesworth, and by extension the team. With Zack Bolno, and extension all Redskins staff. With the Washington Post, and by extension, all of the media. I like it.

Right now, Shanahan is master of the universe. We've never seen such an effective management. The outcome may be uncertain, but the system and the rules will prevail without exceptions. The system and the rules are the necessary foundation for a successful franchise.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/17176/report-haynesworth-had-rhabdomyolysis

After watching this video I've come to the conclusion that it is entire possible that Shanny's conditioning test is what caused this. They keep saying it doesn't happen in well-conditioned athletes becuase they are used to that kind of strain. ALso it can happen in any muscle tissue. But a DT is not used to running 300yrds in sprints day after day. And I'm not lookingv to sympathize with AL but it would be slightly ironic.

Shanahan said AH's days of playing without practicing are over...but he DID play lol. If Haynesworth had sat out of the entire Ravens game it would be different. I'm guessing Shanahan meant the days of starting without practicing are over?

He played, but he played "beneath" him with the third string. Way below someone of his stature, being he's a pro-bowler and all. Hell, with Al's credentials he shouldn't even have to play in pre-season at all. We are all lucky to have him. :D

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/17176/report-haynesworth-had-rhabdomyolysis

After watching this video I've come to the conclusion that it is entire possible that Shanny's conditioning test is what caused this. They keep saying it doesn't happen in well-conditioned athletes becuase they are used to that kind of strain. ALso it can happen in any muscle tissue. But a DT is not used to running 300yrds in sprints day after day. And I'm not lookingv to sympathize with AL but it would be slightly ironic.

Is it that delayed though? He passed the test a while ago, and the practices aren't known to be that intense.

It's also a chess match with the Washington Post.

This was an exclusive for AOL Fanhouse / Thomas George (national correspondent). Shanahan did not speak to the media generally today, but did hold an interview with George. Rich Campbell says so here:

In tandem with the firing of Zack Bolno, this is a major power play by Shanahan against the Post and against anonymous leaks by Redskin officials, in my opinion. Leak to the press? Get fired. Use anonymous sources against the interest of the team? Find yourself in the cold as a journalist.

From a management perspective, this is riveting stuff. Shanahan is laying down the law. With Haynesworth, and by extension the team. With Zack Bolno, and extension all Redskins staff. With the Washington Post, and by extension, all of the media. I like it.

Right now, Shanahan is master of the universe. We've never seen such an effective management. The outcome may be uncertain, but the system and the rules will prevail without exceptions. The system and the rules are the necessary foundation for a successful franchise.

Excellent analysis all around.

Per the doctor, "typically from someone who is NOT well conditioned....." So a conditioning test 3 weeks ago caused this to surface now....please. Stop making excuses for this guy and looking for someone else to blame. His poor conditioning has been an issue since he was sucking wind last year not from a test given by the coach.

Agree. Right now Haynesworth is turning into Shanahan's Gomer Pyle

I have my doubts he even has such a disease. I would be shocked to find out otherwise.

This is something I had in the back of my mind but hadn't focused much on, and thus hadn't fully formed an opinion on the matter. But now that you've laid it out here, I like the sound of this even more.

Things are going to get ugly before they get good, but once they get good, they could get real good. Shanahan has the strong personality and controlling influence necessary to turn around this franchise. We saw Bill Parcells do it in New England and Dallas (and now Miami), John Gruden in Tampa... now it might be our turn.

I dunno...sometimes it's better to accept that you can't control every single aspect of life around you than it is to become a zero-tolerance dictator and try and control things to that small a level. If Shanahan is playing this smart, though, he's laying down the law with an iron glove now knowing that he'll ease up on things later.

Archived