Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC Sports Bog: McNabb says he'll be with Redskins "for years"

MattFancy

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/08/mcnabb_says_hell_be_with_the_r.html?wprss=dcsportsbog

"I'll be here with the Redskins for years," he told NBC Washington's Dan Hellie. "We've both said it, I've said it, they've said it. I want to be a Redskin. I want to be a Redskin. Just like I was an Eagle for years, I want to be a Redskin. I want to finish my career here. There's a lot of exciting things that are ahead of us here, there's a lot of talent here, and I think good things can happen here in Washington."

Always good to hear. Now if only Manning and Brady would hurry up with their contracts so we can get McNabb signed.

Although personally, I'm hoping "for years" isn't more than 4 or so. By that point, we'd better have a young guy ready to go. Most QB's don't have Brett Favre's late career success.

Rich Gannon disagrees with you. :)

I think if McNabb takes care of his body, he can easily play for another 3-5 years at a high level.

I dont wnat him for more than 2 years unless he takes us to the playoffs this season and a superbowl the next, otherwise I want a younger player who we can build around.

Really? That's absurd.

I just bought a new jersey...They're not cheap! I don't want to have to buy another one for at least 4 years bro!

I want him for as long as it takes to groom that young QB...be it 1, 2, or 3 years.

Think we draft a QB in 2011?

I don't think we draft a QB of the future in 2011. I think it will be 2012 and starting by 2014. I think they get a WR stud, OL, LB's for 3-4 in 2011. Guess that means we roll with DM5 for 4 yrs. and playoffs next year and SB run in 2013 & 2014.

Am I psychic or what!?! :silly:

I don't think we draft a QB of the future in 2011. I think it will be 2012 and starting by 2014. I think they get a WR stud, OL, LB's for 3-4 in 2011. Guess that means we roll with DM5 for 4 yrs. and playoffs next year and SB run in 2013 & 2014.

I'm not sure...I didn't really mean to stop at 3 years of McNabb. Just that I basically want him to be the only QB we need between now and when we have our version of Aaron Rodgers. If your scenario pans out, I'd be very excited about that!

Your not crazy one bit 2012 is a loaded QB class and that would be the perfect year to go after QB's. Barkley, Brantley, Gabbert just to name a few. 2011 is the year to go for the WR and LB's as they have some top end talent that could be stars for a long time in our scheme

Rich Gannon disagrees with you. :)

I think if McNabb takes care of his body, he can easily play for another 3-5 years at a high level.

That's a big if though. McNabb gets a a fairly serious injury nearly every single season and misses time and he's had a lot of offseason surgeries. There won't be anything easy about playing another 3-5 seasons for him. He's neither as good nor durable as Brett Favre so I hope were not expecting him to have a similar career arc.

QBs seem to perform better later in their careers, i think Mcnabb has atleast 3 good seasons left in him, including this year. And i DONT think we should draft a QB next year, but we should draft one in 2012. Next year we should draft like a LB or RB in the first round

Yes he said he would be a Eagle last season but he got traded. No he didn't request it. However, when McNabb arrived here he realized that he would now play in front of fans that wouldn't cheer him for one pass and then boo him the next one. When he walked off the field from the loss he had to watch out for a possible bottle or two heading at his head. Now he walks onto the field and gets a loud cheer and knows that the fans are behind him 100%. After spending his career turning a crappy team into a division power and keeping it one for almost a decade while being booed this must be a breath of fresh air. Hell this is like jumping out of a dumpster you been sitting in for 10 years. McNabb got here and looked around to see fans smiling at their practices and players ready to work hard. No wonder he's happy. I would love it if he did great things here like get a Super Bowl. Then I hope he retires as a Redskin and goes into the HOF. McNabb deserves it after all the crap he's taken. The only reason I believe he hasn't gotten one is Philly's karma. I can't think of anything better than DC winning a Super Bowl led by a classy guy who has taken so much criticism over the years. GO McNabb!!! Bring a Championship to DC!!!

(A few years ago I was saying how great it would be if McNabb got released by the Eagles and came in to help our QBs. I always said Eagles never appreciated what a great person and leader he was. To me this was dream come true to see McNabb as a Redskin.)

Archived