Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

On 6/26/2018 at 12:51 PM, techboy said:

Speaking of commercials, those Barca matches spoiled me. It's really hard watching another sport now, with breaks every 10 minutes. It's much easier to ignore all the commericals at the half.  

This is why God gave us the power to invent the DVR.  I can't remember the last game I watched live, or any other show for that matter other than the morning news.  Everything else is started an hour late to skip the commercials

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

5 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I think the German loss will make this tournament more exciting. With the favorite out, now all the remaining teams must all think they a have a legitimate shot at the Cup. The 2018 World Cup just went into overdrive.

Tbf, Brazil was the pre tournament betting favorite. And, as someone else posted, there is a reigning champ curse in full swing in the WC. 

• Like 1

Agree that Belgium and England have been good, but also untested. France have been decent on the virtue of lots of quality players, but I don't think they've played close to potential. Same with Brazil. 

Thoughts on Croatia as "played best football" so far?

2 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Which team has played the best football in your opinion in the group stages?

Oddly enough, Germany looked completely dominant in their games, just no finishing options.

Croatia, Belgium, and England have all looked very good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Agree that Belgium and England have been good, but also untested. France have been decent on the virtue of lots of quality players, but I don't think they've played close to potential. Same with Brazil. 

Thoughts on Croatia as "played best football" so far?

Agree on them untested.

As for Croatia, I honestly cannot say. I’ve not seem one of their games.

2 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Oddly enough, Germany looked completely dominant in their games, just no finishing options.

This is what I've been saying amidst the gloom and doom over Germany. Their finishing was ****e. But chance creation, good chances were pretty good. I think with a bit more effort in moments when they lost the ball and shifting their set-up about 40-45 yards on goal instead of right on top of the penalty box may have given them more room to attack. Maybe. 

That attack to defense transition they really could've cared less about and it showed in how easily other teams got up field (yet only 1 counter goal). 

1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

This is what I've been saying amidst the gloom and doom over Germany. Their finishing was ****e. But chance creation, good chances were pretty good. I think with a bit more effort in moments when they lost the ball and shifting their set-up about 40-45 yards on goal instead of right on top of the penalty box may have given them more room to attack. Maybe. 

That attack to defense transition they really could've cared less about and it showed in how easily other teams got up field (yet only 1 counter goal). 

Klose and Muller were their main scoring threat for years. One retired and the other one might as well because he can't score and Low didn't have the stones to bench him 

6 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Klose and Muller were their main scoring threat for years. One retired and the other one might as well because he can't score and Low didn't have the stones to bench him 

Brandt was the answer, IMO. He was the most lively, inventive(?) of any German player, IMO.

They were really unimaginative too. Gotta break the pattern—needed someone to occassionally run at the that block. Maybe draw a penalty, the crossin and frontal combinations were just too predictable. Maybe they did need Sane. Not for open field speed, but for dribbling skills.

Edited by Elessar78
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Brandt was the answer, IMO. He was the most lively, inventive(?) of any German player, IMO.

They were really unimaginative too. Gotta break the pattern—needed someone to occassionally run at the that block. Maybe draw a penalty, the crossin and frontal combinations were just too predictable. Maybe they did need Sane. Not for open field speed, but for dribbling skills.

Agree, and the big debate was Brandt or Sane. Hell, should have been Brandt and Sane, and leave either Muller or Ozil off, both were, and have been for a while, ****e.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Oh they definitely needed Sane and him and Brandt would have been a deadly wing combo. Not sure what the big hype about Timo Werner was either he's basically a German Danny Welbeck. 

• Haha 1

Columbia 1-0 Senegal

Japan 1-0 Poland

I wanted to see better matches today, but they all seemed pretty tame. Some nice saves and a couple nice goals but there never seemed to be any "pedal to the metal" motivation for the teams that were fighting to get off the bubble.

I think Columbia has an uphill climb if James is out.

Knowing that Senegal got eliminated by "fair play" points...1 yellow card makes it even more heartbreaking

46 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Columbia 1-0 Senegal

Japan 1-0 Poland

I wanted to see better matches today, but they all seemed pretty tame. Some nice saves and a couple nice goals but there never seemed to be any "pedal to the metal" motivation for the teams that were fighting to get off the bubble.

I think Columbia has an uphill climb if James is out.

Knowing that Senegal got eliminated by "fair play" points...1 yellow card makes it even more heartbreaking

Yeah, really gutted for Senegal, as Japan just sat on the ball the last few minutes and didn’t even try to play, while a Senegal goal would’ve knocked them out. Also thought the reversal of the penalty call was a bad decision.

1 minute ago, Long n Left said:

Yeah, really gutted for Senegal, as Japan just sat on the ball the last few minutes and didn’t even try to play, while a Senegal goal would’ve knocked them out. Also thought the reversal of the penalty call was a bad decision.

You mean the one that was initially called against Columbia?

If so, I thought it was a PK at first too, but on review the player clearly got the ball first before any contact was made, it was clean.