Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

DCU will be on NBC twice this upcoming season - 3/16 at NY and 10/27 vs Houston

They also have 6 games on NBCSN (including season opener vs Houston) and one on ESPN2 (vs Philly)

Did you see the United signed some 20 year old Brasilian to play striker for them this year...

Now that I am among the elite with my brand new cable system I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to watch the EPL on NBC and NBCSN

These are networks people actually get, unlike "Bein Sports" or "FSC"

Speaking of which, the latter is allegedly being rebranded as another FX, which means the death of FSC. Bad channel which nearly no one got, good riddance

Now that I am among the elite with my brand new cable system I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to watch the EPL on NBC and NBCSN

These are networks people actually get, unlike "Bein Sports" or "FSC"

Speaking of which, the latter is allegedly being rebranded as another FX, which means the death of FSC. Bad channel which nearly no one got, good riddance

verizon, comcast, directv and dishnet all have fsc..... and it looks good in hd as well.... dont know anyone with bein orwhatever the crap that is, but that whole "nearly no one has fsc" crap is just that, crap

Ok, some vocabulary issues I'm having:

Relegation Zone (Drop Zone)

Then in a UEFA match there was a discussion about a new player's confusion about "communication from the bench" and what he was or wasn't allowed to do.

In most European leagues there is a tier system - so for example in England the highest league is the Premier League, under which is the Championship, then the 1st Division and then the 2nd Division. These 4 Divisions comprise the professional game. Broadly speaking the 3 teams who finish bottom of each league (apart from the 2nd Division) get relegated to the Division below them each year and 3 teams get promoted. So the 3 teams at the bottom of the league are in the so called "relegation zone".

As to the communication issue not exactly sure what that was but its probably to do with the so called 'technical area". The manager is only allowed to be on the sideline within a box called the technical area. He is not allowed to issue instructions to the pitch from outside that area nor are players allowed to come off the pitch to receive instructions. I'm guessing this is what you were hearing about.

In most European leagues there is a tier system - so for example in England the highest league is the Premier League, under which is the Championship, then the 1st Division and then the 2nd Division. These 4 Divisions comprise the professional game. Broadly speaking the 3 teams who finish bottom of each league (apart from the 2nd Division) get relegated to the Division below them each year and 3 teams get promoted. So the 3 teams at the bottom of the league are in the so called "relegation zone".

Ahhhhhh.....that makes so much more sense! I guess that is to ensure the best competition at the top level of play, unlike US sports where there will be teams like the 1970's Buccaneers which were awful for a very long time. I assume that getting relegated to a lower league is a pretty bad hit for a team. I guess also that this is what allows a team from the Premier League to play teams from other leagues, like the an MLS vs BPL match.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 04:01 PM ----------

Also, if a manager is suspended he cannot be on the bench but he can be in the stadium. Issues arose last year with Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho being suspended, in the stadium, and passing "notes" to the bench written or electronically.

It was an Arsenal match, so that might have been it.

I guess also that this is what allows a team from the Premier League to play teams from other leagues, like the an MLS vs BPL match.

Not quite .....

As well as league games - so games played within the respective divisions - there are also cup competitions. The most famous (in England at least) is the FA Cup. In these Cup competitions all the teams from all divisions go into a hat and anyone can play anyone - the Premier and Championship teams get byes through the first couple of rounds though. These games are like playoff games, so knock out.

MASSIVE Congratulations to Bradford City from the English 4th tier for reaching a major Cup Final. The first team from that low down the pyramid to reach a major final at Wembley. And Bradford City's first major Cup Fnal in over a century since they won the FA Cup back in 1911.

On the way, they've knocked out Premier League Wigan, giants Arsenal, and now Aston Villa over two games to reach the showpiece final. (Along with two other teams in divisons above them.). All with a squad of youth and lower league career journeymen assembled for a mere £ 7,000. ($ 11,111 or so.). It really can't be understated just how fantastic an achievment this is. One of the reasons why soccer remains the enduring World game.

Always had a soft spot for Bradford since the horrific fire back in 1985 that cost 56 lives. And I shall be rooting hard for them come February 24 to be the first side ever from the fourth tier to win a major trophy.

Absolutely awesome achievment that is the highlighht of the season and then some. Enjoy your day in the spotlight City, regardless of what happens.

As a side note, this now opens up an extra European spot in the league presuming Chelsea finish in the top 4 if they get to the final; with Bradford and Swansea already not being eligible for European football. (The FA disgracefully won't put forward a Welsh club for European competition, even though their happy for them to play in their competitions. And UEFA wont allow a team from the fouth tier to enter, along with the FA again not being keen on the idea.). So from a purely selfish POV, this opens up more options for Liverpool in Rodgers first rebuilding year.

Again, absolutely AWESOME achievment. Well done Bradford City. Utterly fantastic.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

No doubt GHH, this is one of the reason that I'm growing to appreciate Euro football more every day, here in the States we don't have anything except college basketball where teams that aren't in the "majors" can compete for titles with the major teams.

I don't want to take anything away from this acheivement, but do the major teams focus on some Cups (like FA) more than the Capital One Cup? Even if they do not focus on some Cups, it is still a great acheivement for Bradford because those premiere teams should have put away Bradford without a second though.

I too will be cheering for Bradford.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Oh my bad....I said Euro football rather than saying soccer, the emphasis being on the style of football (in contrast to American football) rather than the location of the football.

Say wha? :silly:

I was just pointing out in response to your comment "here in the States we don't have anything except college basketball where teams that aren't in the "majors" can compete for titles with the major teams," that we do in fact have a competition that's structured just like the FA/Capital One Cup

Say wha? :silly:

I was just pointing out in response to your comment "here in the States we don't have anything except college basketball where teams that aren't in the "majors" can compete for titles with the major teams," that we do in fact have a competition that's structured just like the FA/Capital One Cup

Oh sorry, forgot I wrote "the states" I was thinking about sports other than soccer in the states....my bad....again.

No doubt GHH, this is one of the reason that I'm growing to appreciate Euro football more every day, here in the States we don't have anything except college basketball where teams that aren't in the "majors" can compete for titles with the major teams.

I don't want to take anything away from this acheivement, but do the major teams focus on some Cups (like FA) more than the Capital One Cup? Even if they do not focus on some Cups, it is still a great acheivement for Bradford because those premiere teams should have put away Bradford without a second though.

I will NOT be cheering for Bradford.:mad:

..... I don't want to take anything away from this acheivement, but do the major teams focus on some Cups (like FA) more than the Capital One Cup? Even if they do not focus on some Cups, it is still a great acheivement for Bradford because those premiere teams should have put away Bradford without a second though.

I will NOT be cheering for Bradford.:mad:

As Elessar's post points to ASF (he's an Arsenal fan who suffered at the hands of Bradford. I think that sore still smarts, so please forgive him); Bradfords achievement is nothing shy of miraculous in today's modern soccer age were the gap between the haves and have nots is that gigantic its not even funny.

Over recent years, the League Cup (Capital One for sponsorship at present) has been sadly denegrated by bigger teams prioratising money over success. Sadly, the financial rewards now for merely finishing in the top 4 in the EPL FAR outweighs going all the way and winning the Football League Cup to a lot of teams. Which is a complete and utter disgrace in itself as there's only 3 competitions a season you can win in England, the first being the League Cup. And it gives the winners a place in European competition for the following season by the end of Februa\ry and a chance to relax. Along with giving their supporters a day out at Wembley in a major final. I for one enjoyed FAR more following Liverpool to two Cup finals last year and finishing 7th in the EPL than I would of done finishing 4th and having no Cup finals to attend. You measure your success in trophys. Not money or league placing. But I'm a mere fan. What would I know?

So whilst it's true a lot of teams have used the League Cup as a breading ground for the future by playing youth and squad players over the past decade or so, the trend has thankfully begun to turn in recent years.

Liverpool won a record 8th League Cup last year by fielding more or less a full strength line-up right through the competition. And teams like Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City have been putting far stronger sides out of late. As regards Bradford, Arsenal and Aston Villa both desperatley wanted to win this competion and played more or less full strength sides in their games against Bradford.

Which all makes City's achievment all the more miraculous. (Whatever Elessar may tell you. :silly:.).

And good luck to Swansea City tonight. A Bradford -Swanse final would be one in the eye for the glamour hungry media to have to suck up. And absolutely brilliant for those of us that are sick to the back teeth of the money driven modern game.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

We'll have a reckoning next weekend,ghh. Pay you 62 pounds of gold and see the thrashing in person!

The Emirates on a Wednesday night ..... I'll pass.

Been there, done that. Very much doubt I'll ever do it again at those prices. Now Highbury, THAT was a ground I loved going to.

And you just know you'll batter us, but lose to a Suarez hand ball goal from a free kick after Gerrard dives ..... Just to keep Asiatic happy. :ols:

Hail.

The Emirates on a Wednesday night ..... I'll pass.

Been there, done that. Very much doubt I'll ever do it again at those prices. Now Highbury, THAT was a ground I loved going to.

And you just know you'll batter us, but lose to a Suarez hand ball goal from a free kick after Gerrard dives ..... Just to keep Asiatic happy. :ols:

Hail.

Don't forget that the phantom foul that Koscielny will concede on Gerrard will be because Vermaelen was caught going forward again and we lost possession because Giroud missed a sitter in front of net.