Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Hmmm....

Maybe in the 90s Serie A played a better brand of soccer but as a whole have you guys watched it recently? They lump the ball forward, lots of speculative 50/50 balls, lots of turnovers.

United have always played Ferguson-ball, wide, fast, physical. Arsene brought a more continental style to Arsenal, Rafa had his influence on liverpool, and Mourinho how can anyone say his Chelsea team didn't defend? The evolution continues as well with teams like Swansea (pre/post rodgers). And I see more evidence that mid and lower level clubs in the premiership WILL knock the ball around and not necessarily just hoof it up/Route 1 football.

Spain are basically two-teams deep. I don't know too much about Bundesliga beyond Dortmund and Bayern.

Given choice, I'd watch EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, and Serie A in that order.

I don't know if anyone's watching, but Bradford City from England's fourth tier are currently leading a more or less full strength Arsenal 1-0 at half-time in the League Cup quarter final in a rip-roaring cup-tie. Bradford could, and probably should, be 2 or 3 up. Brilliant stuff.

Hope I'm not jinxing anything, but if they put out Arsenal and get to the semi's it will be an even more unbelievable achievement than what they achieved already this year to get this far.

No offense to any Arsenal fans out there, but come on City second half!

Hail.

I don't know if anyone's watching, but Bradford City from England's fourth tier are currently leading a more or less full strength Arsenal 1-0 at half-time in the League Cup quarter final in a rip-roaring cup-tie. Bradford could, and probably should, be 2 or 3 up. Brilliant stuff.

Hope I'm not jinxing anything, but if they put out Arsenal and get to the semi's it will be an even more unbelievable achievement than what they achieved already this year to get this far.

No offense to any Arsenal fans out there, but come on City second half!

Hail.

Offense taken, you Scouse traitor!!

Offense taken, you Scouse traitor!!

:ols: Hey, I'm all about the fairy tale. It is Christmas after all. ;)

My moms from Bradford, so with that and the terrible fire they suffered in '85, always had a bit of a soft spot for them. An hour in and NO serious Arsenal chance on goal. This is as shockingly bad from Arsenal as utterly awesome as it is from the minnows.

Hail.

Edweard Woodward. Sure did. Loved that in the '80's. You should of seen L'pool during the blitz.

BTW, you lucky, lucky *******!

One chance all night and your somehow going extra time. Bradford have a ridiculously good record in shoot-outs BTW. Better step it up this extra half hour.

---------- Post added December-11th-2012 at 05:26 PM ----------

Absolutely freaking awesome.

Team from the fourth tier in the semi's of a major cup. Putting out a more or less full strength Arsenal side in the process.

Absolute disaster for Arsenal. No trophy for 7 seasons, and their best chance of one this just gone. More or less full strength and out to a side from the fourth tier. How Wenger keeps on hanging on to his job is beyond me. But enough on them ..... utterly, utterly fantastic from Bradford. No vested interest but I'm happy as anything for them. First ever League Cup semi-final in City's history.

Awesome.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/england/story/bradford-1-1-arsenal-capital-one-cup-penalty-kicks-match-report-121112

Bradford gets stunning win vs. Arsenal

---------- Post added December-12th-2012 at 08:54 AM ----------

[color="sandybrown"]Wednesday, December 19, 2012      Quarterfinal

2:45 PM ET   Leeds United   vs   Chelsea    Elland Road[/color]

---------- Post added December-12th-2012 at 09:11 AM ----------

decleaguestandings.png

---------- Post added December-12th-2012 at 09:14 AM ----------

chelseaw.png

Last week, due to feeling the financial pinch the year, I attended my first Euro away of the season. (Hearts not withstanding, which counts but isn't the same as it's only up in Scotland and a drive away.). Three days, four nights in three absolutely brilliant, beautiful places in North-East Italy. Verona, Udine and Venice. Fantastic food, even better wine ( and @ € 1 a glass, you can imagine the carnage that ensued as it seemed impolite not to try drink Udine in particular dry :ols:); fantastic company and gracious hosts we had a boss time with in a gorgeous part of Italy. But it wasn't the trip per se I wanted to talk about, but the story that follows at the link. The attendance for the game was a mere 7 thousand something. HELL knows what it would of been if Liverpool Football Club hadn't been in town. A surreal night in a surreal stadium (what furtive mind designed that? And just how much vino had he drunk? :ols:) which is sadly a common sight these days in one of the most soccer mad Country's on the planet. Italians, like the rest of us, are still suffering hard through this World wide double dip recession, and as such have their priorities in order and simple don't go to games they can't afford. So your left with great swaths of empty seats most Sundays across the Country. But this story of Udinese's following game, away to Sampdoria, gladden's the heart and shows just what being a fan is all about. And you thought the 7 thousand was bad .....

Brovedani is my new hero.

Because that’s what it means to be a supporter, through thick and thin, good times and bad, wherever, whenever.

Read on and tell me this doesn't warm your heart:

http://blogs.thescore.com/counterattack/2012/12/12/horncastle-udineses-dedicated-lone-away-supporter-against-sampdoria-reveals-turnout-issues-in-serie-a/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

Hail.

I feel your pain OB.

That glorious, sunny Sunday at Anfield back in May 1995 must seem a lifetime ago round about now huh? Hang in there man. The hectic Christmas period can change it all around.

As for L'pool, the frustration just keeps on rolling. Utterly dominant against Villa. Failed to convert a plethora of chances. Shocking defending at the other end, and suddenly on the end of a 3-1 home defeat. As much as nobody expected much of anything out of this season, and are quite prepared to give Rodgers a pass however low down we may or not finish all things considered (lack of funds/ completely new system/ heavy injection of youth/ no striker et all); there comes a time when 'unlucky' just doesn't cut it anymore when you continue to dominate games yet continue to miss chance after chance.

Frustrating as all heck, with another 5 long months or so to go.

Hail.

What happened to Wisdom too? Enrique is boss going forward. Can't defend to save his life. And putting Downing back there is beyond ridiculous and not fair on the player at all.

Hail.

I believe Downing will be gone in January. Is Kelly coming back soon? I would like to see Kelly or Wisdom get some time at center back. Do you think reinforcements are coming January? I would like to see a striker (obviously) and a wing. I think Sterling needs to get a break. I would also like to see Allen and Gerrard take a break and get Suso more time.

Agreed on all counts, particularly Sterling. He's in danger of burning out. Kelly's penciled in for the New Year, so we'll see.

The striker rumors are running wild, and Rodgers is changing his opinion every week. One week he's happy with what he has, and won't be spending. The next the money's there and he will so who knows? I can't see much of anything out there though that's not tied up in Champions League club.

Wonder if Rafa will screw Chelsea over and give us Sturridge? Lol.

Hail.