Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Skrrel was head and shoulders our best defender last year IMHO.

I believe it was Socrates who said it best... "If we had two Martin Skrtel's, we could play with 8 forward." or words to that effect.

Just ask her....

Martin+Skrtel+Liverpool+FC+Retail+Store+

I wish Sakho to come back and play like he did at PSG just like Van Der Wiel did last year.

I think he will.  That won't stop me from improving the back four.  Skrtel has maybe three years left in him so we need a couple in the hopper. 

For me, Benzema might win the Reds the league this year if he is available and we can stay healthy.  He's the closest thing to Suarez as a final third player goes and he is better in the air.  We'll see.  Ass aside, I take him on my side. 

For me, Benzema might win the Reds the league this year if he is available and we can stay healthy.  He's the closest thing to Suarez as a final third player goes and he is better in the air.  We'll see.  Ass aside, I take him on my side. 

So you put the character aside and think Rodgers will succeed where Mourinho and Ancelotti failed.

We will see what's going to happen.

So you put the character aside and think Rodgers will succeed where Mourinho and Ancelotti failed.

We will see what's going to happen.

Yes.

And every side has a player or two like that.  This is why you pay managers the money you do.  Tactics, personnel, and cohesion/management.  BR has been pretty good at both.

That said, BR's focus last year was scoring goals, this year he'll add playing defense-minded football to it.  So look for slow build up play.  I think Benzema works well there, too.

That said, BR's focus last year was scoring goals, this year he'll add playing defense-minded football to it. So look for slow build up play. I think Benzema works well there, too.

I seriously doubt our style changes at all.

Rodgers believes football should be about entertainment and free flowing, fast attacking pass and move with style. (Which as a fan is darn right!).

We may upgrade defensively in oersonnel but there's little to no chance he goes defensive.

Roll on next Saturday and a day in the sun at Preston. Looking forward to that FAR more than any WC

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Rovers looking to offload Leon Best and Ruben Rochina, Liverpool fans, if you want a crack at either of them. both of them looked great today in a preseason friendly against Telford United. :P

Rovers extended Jordan Rhodes and Marcus Olsson and resigned David Dunn.  Surprised about Olsson, he's been below average.  Always thought we got him on the cheapish because we had his twin beforehand.  He played ok in spurts last year, but he's never really gotten a lot of time.  Rhodes resigning is fine by me.  Should allow the club more leverage if a Premiership side comes a' callin'.  Dunny doesn't have the legs anymore but he has flashes of brilliance still.  Has a lot of heart, too.  If he played more I think he would've been the go to for captaincy when Scott Dann left.  But Grant Hanley's fine there I reckon.  Also signed Alex Baptiste from Bolton.  Seems like a decent enough signing on paper.  Gives some coverage to the back line which was needed and he's experienced at the Championship level. 

Edited by Old Bay

Rovers looking to offload Leon Best and Ruben Rochina, Liverpool fans, if you want a crack at either of them. both of them looked great today in a preseason friendly against Telford United. :P

Rovers extended Jordan Rhodes and Marcus Olsson and resigned David Dunn.  Surprised about Olsson, he's been below average.  Always thought we got him on the cheapish because we had his twin beforehand.  He played ok in spurts last year, but he's never really gotten a lot of time.  Rhodes resigning is fine by me.  Should allow the club more leverage if a Premiership side comes a' callin'.  Dunny doesn't have the legs anymore but he has flashes of brilliance still.  Has a lot of heart, too.  If he played more I think he would've been the go to for captaincy when Scott Dann left.  But Grant Hanley's fine there I reckon.  Also signed Alex Baptiste from Bolton.  Seems like a decent enough signing on paper.  Gives some coverage to the back line which was needed and he's experienced at the Championship level.

Don't forget Luke Varney - you signed him as well as a free agent from Leeds and he will occupy a seat on the bench while picking up £10K a week with the best of them!

Meanwhile Leeds have signed an Italian keeper, an Italian midfield player and a French striker (who was playing in Italy). We are also about to sign a Swiss centre half who also plays in Italy. I sense a trend ....

I seriously doubt our style changes at all.

Rodgers believes football should be about entertainment and free flowing, fast attacking pass and move with style. (Which as a fan is darn right!).

We may upgrade defensively in oersonnel but there's little to no chance he goes defensive.

Roll on next Saturday and a day in the sun at Preston. Looking forward to that FAR more than any WC

Hail.

Well, he mentioned at the beginning of last year that Champions League sides normally score X amount of goals and that we "can't just rely on Suarez now" (well, especially now, lol).  But he also said once the side learns to score goals, he'll implement more of a build up from defense, too. 

I can't WAIT another few weeks for Charlotte and Milan.

We may go see Palace play in Richmond on 28 July just for GP and proper football.  DC United is improved but it's like watching the "rambling wreck from Georgia Tech" accident themselves into a goal. 

Meanwhile Leeds have signed an Italian keeper, an Italian midfield player and a French striker (who was playing in Italy). We are also about to sign a Swiss centre half who also plays in Italy. I sense a trend ....

This summer is reminding all too much of the summer of Roque Junior, Camara, Olembe, Domi, Sakho etc. No idea what could happen.

11million for Ross McCormack though. We've robbed Fulham there.

Real discussing with Monaco offering €85 millions for James Rodriguez .

Di Maria linked with PSG, transfer fee is believed to be around €60 millions.

Someone said financial fairplay ?

Edited by FrFan

This summer is reminding all too much of the summer of Roque Junior, Camara, Olembe, Domi, Sakho etc. No idea what could happen.

11million for Ross McCormack though. We've robbed Fulham there.

I suspect that £11M is the maximum possible value - it will probably be more like £6M up front plus add ons based on the number of appearances and goals McCormack scores and if Fulham get promoted. If it's is £11M up front it's daylight robbery - and I think Ross is a very very good player at Championship level.

As for Leeds this season I have literally no idea what is going to happen, but the one thing it will not be is dull!

Don't forget Luke Varney - you signed him as well as a free agent from Leeds and he will occupy a seat on the bench while picking up £10K a week with the best of them!

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten.  Think that's a bit of a waste.  I don't think he'll start much unless forced due to injuries, but that means he'll get playing time at some point.  He said he likes it more with Rovers because he thought the Leeds locker room atmosphere wasn't as friendly.  I have no idea though.  Know it's been troublesome, but he seemed to indicate the players weren't all that supportive of each other.   What do you think of what he had to say there?

The McCormack signing helps Rovers I think with Rhodes.  We should be able to get our asking price if someone swoops.

He said he likes it more with Rovers because he thought the Leeds locker room atmosphere wasn't as friendly.  I have no idea though.  Know it's been troublesome, but he seemed to indicate the players weren't all that supportive of each other.   What do you think of what he had to say there?

I think it's a pretty standard sound bite for the local press - to be fair though it was very messy at Leeds the second half of last season with the take over and wages being late etc. Varney was frozen out of the first team picture as well so I'm sure he was glad to get a new start somewhere else. Not many Leeds fans lament his leaving.

The McCormack signing helps Rovers I think with Rhodes.  We should be able to get our asking price if someone swoops.

No doubt - I'd say Rhodes is worth more than McCormack but then it's likely that £11M figure is inflated by including all the possible add ons.

Well... now that that's all over... back to club football.

We get the Liverpool vs Brondby friendly on Thursday at 7 pm on CSNWashington. 

Very excited.  Haven't found it live on DirecTV yet.

Well... now that that's all over... back to club football.

We get the Liverpool vs Brondby friendly on Thursday at 7 pm on CSNWashington.

Very excited. Haven't found it live on DirecTV yet.

Preston next Saturday afternoon is where it all starts again for me. Relaxing day in the sun with a good few bevvies and great company. It'll probably only be the kids in the main, but I've been looking to this through the last month or so of the WC.

The IMPORTANT ****s back!

Congrats to Ozil, Poldosli, and Mertesacker.

Carry over that drive to the season

Good luck retaining the FA Cup.

Leave the big trophys to the big boys.  ;) 

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

135 million for BR to spend this summer, eh?

I've always been first to point out that John Henry cares about this club.  :P

There are rumblings that BR is going to make a run at Reuss and his 30 million release clause. He is born and bred Dormund and will be hard to pry away, but he would be perfect for Liverpool's style of play

There are rumblings that BR is going to make a run at Reuss and his 30 million release clause. He is born and bred Dormund and will be hard to pry away, but he would be perfect for Liverpool's style of play

Yes he is!  I have him in my FIFA game!  :lol:   That is hilarious. 

God I hope that rumours correct. 

Terrific player who I was shocked Low left out of the 23 for Brazil. 

And all these midfielders might finally see the end of Jordan .....  :P

Hail. 

Hail. 

Alberto Moreno is on deck tonight, allegedly.  Ayre is in Spain putting a bow on it.  18 mil. 

If this allows Hendo to be a CM or CDM I'm all for it.  We joke a lot about his final third play but the rest of the pitch, he is essential to LFC.  The Chelsea game could've used him. 

Hail. 

He wasn't left, he got injured in training. He would have probably started for them

Would those  'rumblings' be from the Mirror or the Times?

Not a chance that he goes to Liverpool.  Just more wishful thinking by the English press, trying to link another player to the EPL who won't come there.

Would those  'rumblings' be from the Mirror or the Times?

Not a chance that he goes to Liverpool.  Just more wishful thinking by the English press, trying to link another player to the EPL who won't come there.

Nah…it's twitter chatter from some Liverpool associated sites. As I said, he is born and bred Dortmund and I don't see him leaving. I don't believe the rumor, I just want to believe it...

He didn't Reus was injured.

Kroos to Real for €25 millions.

Edited by FrFan