Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Yeah I got me +4 coming Wednesday. We're just gonna get our tickets at the stadium. I'm hoping to see a new scarf to get. We're all pumped as hell for the game.

I'm waiting for the Richmond Kicker FC game vs rival Charleston tonight. We're playing at Charleston which is a hard game but man it would be a great win.

I got a sweet scarf at the game last weekend. It was $17 with the Barra discount and I think its $20 normally. There are a bunch of good ones to pick from

Italian Serie B player collapses, but dies on the field. May he R.I.P

May he rest in peace indeed. Shockingly young age to pass. Shocking tragedy.

Sadly, Chelsea 'fans' don't feel the same way and chose to disgracefully disrupt the minutes silence in respect for the above and 96 fellow football fans before today's cup semi-final by creating all through it. Low life scumbags.

May 5 will be an ugly occasion off the field. I just hope the football isn't on it.

Hail.

BTW, talking of the above, Fabrice Muamba returned home on Friday. Still a ways to go, but a miraculous recovery thus far. And the way cardiologists have been talking, there's a fair chance he might even play again.

Well, Wolves have been down for weeks. So I guess your looking at 2 from 4. Wigan have found some form from somewhere, and if that momentum continues then it'll go right to the last day between Blackburn, Bolton and QPR.

Terrible night for Blackburn last night. They won't get many better chances to get all 3 points. To come away with nothing was disastrous.

I'd like to think it will give L'pool a confidence boost for the weekend. But still travelling to London more in hope than expectation, as I fear a blue ***** win.

Hail.

A few weeks ago I was convinced Blackburn might just make it. With Wolves looking the way they did (still do) and the way QPR's schedule was, only had one slot left and Rovers were coming off back to back shut out victories. But I was wrong. And honestly, the way things are now, if we do stay up (and even if we go down) Kean will still be in charge and the owners will still be around. I don't hate Kean but he's not utilized the squad well at all, and his tactics are at times stellar (not often enough) and at others dreadful. The owners are convinced they can sell off people and plug in anyone with the same results, which is kack. But, even still I thought we had a competent enough squad to survive even with all the losses of personnel. If the right person was in charge. I so wanted Martin O'Neill!

anyone see the new USMNT home jerseys? When will the retire the pageant stripe? I think it's time to let Under Armor design the uniforms....

Well luckily this won't be the World Cup jersey, since another kit will be coming out in another 2 years.

Well luckily this won't be the World Cup jersey, since another kit will be coming out in another 2 years.

I am sure the next one will have the pageant stripe as well. Thanks for posting the pic renaissance....trust me when I tell you the stripe is there. It is hard to see in that picture. Can someone tell Nike that the stripe is horrible....

FIFA ready to review controversial calls after awful call in FA Cup semifinals

Soccer is poised to finally end its long resistance to modern technology by implementing a ground-breaking new system designed to eradicate unfair goal-line decisions.

Following a weekend that saw yet another high-profile match influenced by a refereeing mistake, international governing body FIFA will push ahead with plans to test and then introduce new technology that uses missile-grade precision sensors or a magnetic field to assist the officials.

Suitable methods have been available to FIFA for more than a decade, but until now the game's chief rules-makers have firmly shunned attempts to update the sport's means of resolving disputes.

However, pressure from the international media, fans, players, coaches and administrators has caused soccer's hierarchy to cave in at last, a process helped by abysmal errors such as the one seen in Sunday's English FA Cup semifinal between Chelsea and Tottenham. Chelsea comfortably won the game 5-1, but its second goal should not have stood, as Juan Mata's goal-bound effort was stopped by the Tottenham defense a foot short of the line.

Continued at link

Meh, this leagues not strong at all. And I mean that as no slight as you can only beat what's in front of you. And Utd yet again have done that in style when it matters most.

Outside of Utd and City, with the obscene amount of cash they have behind them, there is no serious challenge. Chelsea are an ageing mess in need of a serious overhaul. Arsenal will continue to flatter to deceive so long as Wenger refuses to change the way he does things. Admirable, and the best team to watch bar none on their day. But a club like Arsenal needs silverware. And 'Spurs will always be 'Spurs. They'll continue to **** up when you least expect it and fall a ways short. As for Liverpool ..... I'll leave that before I go into a rant. Let's just say the potentials there for a domestic cup double this year, yet L'pool have regressed badly the longer the years gone on. We're as far away from even challenging for the league as at any time in the last 22 years since #18.

Frustratingly, as I don't think this is a particularly strong squad for a Ferguson squad; Utd will have little outside their neighbours to worry about next year.

I agree with what you're saying about the strengh of the league at the moment. The Premiership is not what is was just a few years ago,which also is clearly seen in Europe this season. United going to the CL final last year was also a product of only meeting one top team on the way (Chelsea in QF).

United leading the league this year by 5 points is a massive achievement in my opinion with the squad we've got at the moment. A lot of you lads, and a lot of injuries. In addition to being a big achievement by United I think thats a big danger sign for English football. Looking at the two spanish teams I think there are quite a big difference; a gap that won't be filled for a few years. United are 4-5-6 top class players away from the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid and I think everybody who knows United and supported them for a few years can agree that Uniteds goal is never to be the best in England, but the best in Europe. Fergie has made a few ridiculous remarks this season about United closing the gap on Barcelona and United would've been in the final if we've gone through from the group stage. Surely nobody belives that.

I also agree with what you say about Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Spurs is a "almost" team and I think will be for quite a while. Arsenal need to change their policy and Chelsea need to go through a big generation change. I don't think they'll challenge for the tittle coming season, but they are the only one I leave a small change for doing so together with the two Manchester clubs.

I'm new to this forum and not American (english is my second language so sorry for misspellings etc), but I'm wondering are any of you guys that supports an English team English or European or Americans supporting English teams?

Meh, this leagues not strong at all. And I mean that as no slight as you can only beat what's in front of you. And Utd yet again have done that in style when it matters most.

Outside of Utd and City, with the obscene amount of cash they have behind them, there is no serious challenge. Chelsea are an ageing mess in need of a serious overhaul. Arsenal will continue to flatter to deceive so long as Wenger refuses to change the way he does things. Admirable, and the best team to watch bar none on their day. But a club like Arsenal needs silverware. And 'Spurs will always be 'Spurs. They'll continue to **** up when you least expect it and fall a ways short. As for Liverpool ..... I'll leave that before I go into a rant. Let's just say the potentials there for a domestic cup double this year, yet L'pool have regressed badly the longer the years gone on. We're as far away from even challenging for the league as at any time in the last 22 years since #18.

Frustratingly, as I don't think this is a particularly strong squad for a Ferguson squad; Utd will have little outside their neighbours to worry about next year.

If, and it's a Big IF, Arsenal can keep RVP and keep his current form they should be able to challenge for the title next year. This year's Arsenal, after the bad start, was pretty darn good. This year because of the late departure of Cesc and Nasri, we had to be more pragmatic to win games. Where in years past a "if it ain't pretty, we don't want it." attitude existed when it came to scoring goals. But now the squad is reaching that maturity that the last three or four years has craved. Arteta was a pleasant surprise and we can really use Jack Wilshere back. A few quality signings of EXPERIENCED players in each line, will go a long way.

Personally I don't think Arsenal have much of a chance challenging for the title next year. Earliest in 2 - 3 years.

Keeping RvP is obviously the key along with getting Jack Wilshire back. Central midfield is not the problem area though as Rosicky has had a good season, Song's been good, Arteta has taken a step up and Ramsey's been good for parts of the season.

Strengthening the defence needs to be the main priority coming season. Arsenal are in desperate need for a partned for Vermaelen and a left back. Getting a good central defender is a lot easier than a left back though, as left back possible is the position in Europe with less good players at the moment. Man United wil also be looking for a left back this summer, Barcelona as well (possible Jordi Alba).

Jan Vernthongen is a great center half but maybe a bit too similar to Vermaelen. Both great on the ball, a goal threat with thumping shots and great technique for a defender. But even though Arsenal get these plays in to place I think it will be to early next season. The defence will no matter what not be good enough in depth.

In addition for the starting 11 and squad to settle I think a key difference in United vs Arsenal at the moment is the winning mentality. United are experts at getting points in game they don't play good. On a bad day, the machinery (usually) grinds on and gets the result. Its not pretty to watch but it's necessary to be crowned champions in May. Arsenal might be a bit better at this, this season but there's still a way to go.

Personally I don't think Arsenal have much of a chance challenging for the title next year. Earliest in 2 - 3 years.

Keeping RvP is obviously the key along with getting Jack Wilshire back. Central midfield is not the problem area though as Rosicky has had a good season, Song's been good, Arteta has taken a step up and Ramsey's been good for parts of the season.

Strengthening the defence needs to be the main priority coming season. Arsenal are in desperate need for a partned for Vermaelen and a left back. Getting a good central defender is a lot easier than a left back though, as left back possible is the position in Europe with less good players at the moment. Man United wil also be looking for a left back this summer, Barcelona as well (possible Jordi Alba).

Jan Vernthongen is a great center half but maybe a bit too similar to Vermaelen. Both great on the ball, a goal threat with thumping shots and great technique for a defender. But even though Arsenal get these plays in to place I think it will be to early next season. The defence will no matter what not be good enough in depth.

In addition for the starting 11 and squad to settle I think a key difference in United vs Arsenal at the moment is the winning mentality. United are experts at getting points in game they don't play good. On a bad day, the machinery (usually) grinds on and gets the result. Its not pretty to watch but it's necessary to be crowned champions in May. Arsenal might be a bit better at this, this season but there's still a way to go.

Arsenal had an atrocious start to the season, that's no secret. But since like the 7th or 8th game, the results say that the Gunners would be in second place by 3 pts behind United.

Yes thats true, but the difference in coming from behind when the expectations are low, and defending/challenging for 1st place the last 10-15 rounds is something completely different. Arsenal will strengthen their team this summer but so will the to Manchester clubs. United in desperate need for a left back, central midtfielder and possible a striker. Fergie is also said to want an offesive midfielder, which I fear will will be on the exspense of a central midfielder.

There's a lot of talent in this Arsenal squad as there always is, but them being third this season says more about the other teams than them I think. Arsenal had a poor start, partially due to injuries. United have also had those kind of injuries all season (by far the two teams with most injuries in the top 6). United has been without their best player and captain for 32 games when the season is done. But this is where the depth of the squad comes in as I mentioned before. Arsenal needs experienced class players to have a big impact straight away but also better backup. Vermaelen is fantastic and the third best center back in the country in my opinion but behind him it's so thin the center backs belong in a mid table team.

I'm just saying I will be extremely surprised if Arsenal are challenging for the title this time next year. Maybe in a couple of years, but I actually think Chelsea has got a better chance than Arsenal. More winners in the team, more experience and winner mentality. How many Arsenal players in this squad has won anything of significance? RvP got the FA Cup. That might be just about it?

Getting ready to head up in a hour or so. WOOO VAMOS UNITED!!

---------- Post added April-18th-2012 at 12:26 PM ----------

Sidenote: I have mixed feelings about the new US jersey. I went to the soccer store down here yesterday and they showed me it since they literally just got it. Also note for all soccer/football people in Richmond if you need jerseys, scarves,etc go to Soccer Post. They make awesome deals. The guy told me he'd drop a DC United jersey he had from 40 to 17. He dropped another jersey for my friend from 75 to 50. He offered one of new DC United jerseys which was listed as 90 for 60. Coolest place.

Yes thats true, but the difference in coming from behind when the expectations are low, and defending/challenging for 1st place the last 10-15 rounds is something completely different. Arsenal will strengthen their team this summer but so will the to Manchester clubs. United in desperate need for a left back, central midtfielder and possible a striker. Fergie is also said to want an offesive midfielder, which I fear will will be on the exspense of a central midfielder.

There's a lot of talent in this Arsenal squad as there always is, but them being third this season says more about the other teams than them I think. Arsenal had a poor start, partially due to injuries. United have also had those kind of injuries all season (by far the two teams with most injuries in the top 6). United has been without their best player and captain for 32 games when the season is done. But this is where the depth of the squad comes in as I mentioned before. Arsenal needs experienced class players to have a big impact straight away but also better backup. Vermaelen is fantastic and the third best center back in the country in my opinion but behind him it's so thin the center backs belong in a mid table team.

I'm just saying I will be extremely surprised if Arsenal are challenging for the title this time next year. Maybe in a couple of years, but I actually think Chelsea has got a better chance than Arsenal. More winners in the team, more experience and winner mentality. How many Arsenal players in this squad has won anything of significance? RvP got the FA Cup. That might be just about it?

Not to straddle the fence, but they've surged and gotten a string of results while Spurs, for example, have been pissing away their lead.

The rest of the way just got harder for Arsenal because Arteta is now, supposedly, out for the last four games. Arsenal need ten points out of twelve to keep the third spot, assuming the Spurs get the max 15 they are chasing. Newcastle are in the hunt but they have Chelsea and Citeh left to play.

Do you think it means anything that in terms of opponents playing for something (i.e. top four/europa/avoid relegation) Arsenal have only 1 such opponent (Chelsea) and the rest are out of touch with the european spots and mathematically clear of relegation? Spurs have 4, Chelsea 3, Newcastle, 1.

I definitely think the oppontents position in the table means a lot in the run in now. Meeting teams in the relegation and fighting for Europa spots can hardly be compared to meeting teams with nothing to play for in a lot of games.

I think Arsenal will clinch 3rd spot with 10 points of the last 15. Don't think Spurs will get 15 in the last 5 games. The relegation teams will fight with all they have. And yes, Arsenal have gotten great results compared to Spurs, but Spurs isnt the team you wanna compare yourself with if you're challenging for the title. Even though they were doing great the first half, you kinda always had the feeling they wouldnt be able to go all the way. Their squad isn't good enough, especially in defence and they lack a strike who will always find goals. Adebayor is good but he will go on dry spells. Will be exciting to see what they do this summer striker wise and also if they are able to keep all their best players. Luka Modric desperatly wanted to go to Chelsea last summer but said he was glad he didnt looking back this winter. I reckon both Manchester clubs will have a word with Spurs and ask about his situation. That said, Daniel Levy is doing an exceptional job as chairman for them imo.

Replacing Arteta with Ramsey should be alright if Ramsey finds his form again. I'm also hoping Arsenal will play Chamberlain in some of the last games. Gervinho is also decent but lacks end product in my opinion. What parts of the field do you as an Arsenal fan needs to be strengthened the most (given that RvP stays, which I think he will)?

Edited by Paddis

yea I was reading about this on Big Soccer. I've never met the guy, but used to see him posting over there all the time. RIP

we are going to be dead silent at the game for that minute

Edited by Skinz4Life12

I definitely think the oppontents position in the table means a lot in the run in now. Meeting teams in the relegation and fighting for Europa spots can hardly be compared to meeting teams with nothing to play for in a lot of games.

I think Arsenal will clinch 3rd spot with 10 points of the last 15. Don't think Spurs will get 15 in the last 5 games. The relegation teams will fight with all they have. And yes, Arsenal have gotten great results compared to Spurs, but Spurs isnt the team you wanna compare yourself with if you're challenging for the title. Even though they were doing great the first half, you kinda always had the feeling they wouldnt be able to go all the way. Their squad isn't good enough, especially in defence and they lack a strike who will always find goals. Adebayor is good but he will go on dry spells. Will be exciting to see what they do this summer striker wise and also if they are able to keep all their best players. Luka Modric desperatly wanted to go to Chelsea last summer but said he was glad he didnt looking back this winter. I reckon both Manchester clubs will have a word with Spurs and ask about his situation. That said, Daniel Levy is doing an exceptional job as chairman for them imo.

Replacing Arteta with Ramsey should be alright if Ramsey finds his form again. I'm also hoping Arsenal will play Chamberlain in some of the last games. Gervinho is also decent but lacks end product in my opinion. What parts of the field do you as an Arsenal fan needs to be strengthened the most (given that RvP stays, which I think he will)?

United are really the only ones you can compare yourself to, year in and year out. Citeh, frankly, they distort the whole landscape and same with Chelsea in the past. They are like the Redskins (if there were no salary cap).

As far as spurs, everyone wants Modric and should they fail to gain the CL spot both him and Bale are gone. Dani Alves was making comments about Gareth Bale last night, about how he'd start at left back at Barca "hypothetically".

As far as getting more quality depth. Need another striker. Podolski is supposedly a done deal pending we are in the Champion's league. So I'll be happy with that. Wingers, I think we are okay. Central midfielders we have plenty but an experienced hand like Benayoun wouldn't hurt. Center backs, I don't really have any complaints. I think Arsenal have their pairing with Kos and Verm. Add Vertonghen and I think that's plenty. For fullbacks, Sagna is elite but Santos/Gibbs leaves something to be desired and I don't like the prospect of Jenkinson coming off the bench. And of course, a back up gk for Szcz. He IS the starter, but we're one bent finger away from Almunia and Flappy-handski.

And I'm convinced that Szcz is as much a difference this year as RVP's form. United have built a long string of success on their ability to get at least a point from good to decent keeper play even when their field players aren't doing it that day.

Sagna is elite

He can't even make the French national team now (he is N°3), and believe me we are thin at his position. Last but not least we are better off without him on the field. I hope Arsenal fans are happy with him, we are not.

Edited by FrFan