Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

2 hours ago, JWB said:

Not a Liverpool fan, but really hope they hold on to Coutinho, a true joy to watch when is is operating at full strength.

Nice of you to say. He's going nowhere right now. And at the least for the fee offered. Barcelona have set the bar for the fee on top class Brazilians with Neymar. £72 million is a good ways South of that. 

For the coming season or so at least, he's happy at Anfield with what Klopp's building. After that who knows but Phil's immediate future isn't under any threat. 

2 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Figured you'd really enjoy this. Funny timing to put it out from Madrid but Morata's life story up to the start of last season. In Spanish but subtitled. I really enjoyed it regardless. Seems a real nice, genuine young man. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Nice of you to say. He's going nowhere right now. And at the least for the fee offered. Barcelona have set the bar for the fee on top class Brazilians with Neymar. £72 million is a good ways South of that. 

For the coming season or so at least, he's happy at Anfield with what Klopp's building. After that who knows but Phil's immediate future isn't under any threat. 

Figured you'd really enjoy this. Funny timing to put it out from Madrid but Morata's life story up to the start of last season. In Spanish but subtitled. I really enjoyed it regardless. Seems a real nice, genuine young man. 

Hail. 

Wonderful video.  Really excited about this kid and quite honestly shocked Real Madrid would let such a high potential kid who came from their youth academy go!

• Like 1

Ok. I'm calling this day 'Great Defensive Friday!' :D .

First, we more or less get a freebie of a very promising young LB, who at worst, becomes our 2nd choice at the position right now; for what, a 9/10th midfielder on the depth chart? That's outstanding, no-brainer business however you cut it! 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/07/confirmed-andrew-robertson-seals-8m-move-liverpool/

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/07/confirmed-kevin-stewart-completes-4-million-move-hull-city/

Thanks for all the hard work Kev. Good luck setting out on your career proper at Hull. 

Welcome, Andy. Enjoy your current mini-break. This time next week you'll be well into being up and out at 7 AM doing three-a-days in Bavaria. Be prepared to work like you've NEVER worked before! 

Enjoy Germany mate. :P .

Now, van Dijk is beginning to make moves that should see things pick up again with Southampton: 

Liverpool-target Virgil van Dijk training alone after telling Saints manager Mauricio Pellegrino he wants to leave the club (From Daily Echo)

It never sits well players going on strike which he's effectively doing here. (Although the converse is why should they be held to a club they don't want to be at? Not least when said club will be as handsomely rewarded as Southampton are soon to be.). But as Southampton benefited from getting Sadio after he did the same, forgive me for having ZERO sympathy. 

You play the game. Be prepared for it to bite you HARD on the ass! 

All in all our window is bubbling along very nicely indeed. 

Hail. 

Never really understand why clubs wouldn't sell a player who clearly doesn't want to be part of the team. 

Exhibit A: Dmitri Payet situation last year pretty much destroyed West Ham.

• Like 1

Frustratingly at a debate in town on safe standing this dinner from the Union so I'm figuring on missing the Leicester game until I'm home. (Unless I dive in a pub.). 

Start as we mean to go on Redmen. First trophy of the season. We're here so we might as well add our name to it and reward the special support out in Asia. 

Up the ''#24 I'll have Foxes with that ta' Reds!

Hail. 

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Frustratingly at a debate in town on safe standing this dinner from the Union so I'm figuring on missing the Leicester game until I'm home. (Unless I dive in a pub.). 

Start as we mean to go on Redmen. First trophy of the season. We're here so we might as well add our name to it and reward the special support out in Asia. 

Up the ''#24 I'll have Foxes with that ta' Reds!

Hail. 

Looking at the lineups, both managers putting forth top sides to start. Should be an entertaining first half at least.

• Like 1

Entertaining it was. Defensive gaffe gives LC a free cross from close in, but I still think the header should have been saved, hit it right at Karius.

Missing Hendo the #6 role. Love me some Gini, but he's just not naturally comfortable there. 

Salivating at at the prospect of Salah and Mane running all over the place wreaking havoc. That speed of Salah is heart stopping. 

Thought most everyone gave a tidy run, save for Origi, who didn't follow the runner to give up the easy cross for LC, and just looked utter **** most the half. Pray for Sturridge to stay fit. Karius looked very shaky also, may want to see what Ward can do.

Phil is absolute magic! If Neymar does go to PSG, and Barca sees Phil as his replacement, better be starting at €150-175 million in negotiations.

Milner with a knock late, Alby on. Didn't look serious though, let's hope.

Second half uninspiring. Sturridge didn't look good, but I'm going to put it down playing with a bunch of second teamers. When do you start getting concerned? He hasn't looked especially good in the past three I've gotten to see.

Henderson brilliant again, and controlled the midfield in seeing this one out. Gotta hope he stays healthy also.

Young lads all acquitted themselves nicely, and I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Kent. Lots of quality energy from that youngster.

Final thought. It's going to be difficult for Klopp to leave TAA off the sheet when the real bullets start flying. I also hope they can secure VVD soon. Back line could still use a bit of beefing up.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Entertaining it was. Defensive gaffe gives LC a free cross from close in, but I still think the header should have been saved, hit it right at Karius.

Missing Hendo the #6 role. Love me some Gini, but he's just not naturally comfortable there. 

Salivating at at the prospect of Salah and Mane running all over the place wreaking havoc. That speed of Salah is heart stopping. 

Thought most everyone gave a tidy run, save for Origi, who didn't follow the runner to give up the easy cross for LC, and just looked utter **** most the half. Pray for Sturridge to stay fit. Karius looked very shaky also, may want to see what Ward can do.

Phil is absolute magic! If Neymar does go to PSG, and Barca sees Phil as his replacement, better be starting at €150-175 million in negotiations.

Milner with a knock late, Alby on. Didn't look serious though, let's hope.

Second half uninspiring. Sturridge didn't look good, but I'm going to put it down playing with a bunch of second teamers. When do you start getting concerned? He hasn't looked especially good in the past three I've gotten to see.

Henderson brilliant again, and controlled the midfield in seeing this one out. Gotta hope he stays healthy also.

Young lads all acquitted themselves nicely, and I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Kent. Lots of quality energy from that youngster.

Final thought. It's going to be difficult for Klopp to leave TAA off the sheet when the real bullets start flying. I also hope they can secure VVD soon. Back line could still use a bit of beefing up.

Just finished watching. Yeah, not too much to add. Really enjoyable game of footie. Particularly the first half which was played at PL pace and fully committed (Jürgen laying into Madley over some of the challenges being let go was hilarious. Not least the Asian fans 'F OFF MADLEY! F OFF MADLEY' :ols:) for a 'friendly.' 

Thought Karius redeemed himself somewhat with a super save after being real fast off his line on the Vardy chance when he was clean through outside the box but yeah, other than that he had a pretty poor and nervy game. (Although Matip didn't help him with the wayward back pass WTF was he trying to do playing it back into play?). Some of the link up play between Salah, the two Brazilians and Lallana already leaves you drooling. Thought Gomez had another decent game out of position for most the half RB. As did Woodburn in a deeper midfield role again. Two brilliant goals. The ball from Phil the first ..... And then the classic Coutinho finish the winner .... yeah, what he said Barca! 

And you pretty much covered the rest. 

Another step up. Another confidence boosting win over another PL side we apparently should struggle against. And it never hurts to get in the habit of winning silverware! And a very interesting, informative and productive debate on rail seating. Good day. 

Wonder if we'll now have any new additions by Berlin this time next Sat'day?

Up the Coutinho Magic Reds! 

Hail. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Make of this what you will: 

Liverpool FC agree fee in excess of £74m to sign Naby Keita - Winner Sports

Don't have a clue if they're reliable or not. 

Next week could well be VERY interesting.

Hail. 

Really don't think he's worth that fee. Understand I'm biased, but in a world where kante is 35m and bakayoko close to the same...

dont get me wrong he's a good footballer. Just as a club you've got to ask yourself, if we are going to shatter our club transfer fee are we willing to bank it all on keita. Huge transfers can ruin the way clubs do business for years if they turn sour. 

If you said to me: "skinssrva, where would you spend 70+m on Liverpool squad?"  CM would be probably last on the list. 

3 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Really don't think he's worth that fee. Understand I'm biased, but in a world where kante is 35m and bakayoko close to the same...

dont get me wrong he's a good footballer. Just as a club you've got to ask yourself, if we are going to shatter our club transfer fee are we willing to bank it all on keita. Huge transfers can ruin the way clubs do business for years if they turn sour. 

If you said to me: "skinssrva, where would you spend 70+m on Liverpool squad?"  CM would be probably last on the list. 

Honestly, know nothing about him shy of what I read. (And @DC9 having a major hard-on for him for months telling me he's World Class and then some ..... But what does that chump know? He wanted Benteke for Petes sake !!!!! :P .). I've read recruitment/ analytical guys at clubs and coaches saying he's top drawer and there's nobody like him anywhere to assess and compare as he's a unique 'duel' talent. Equally as statistically good defensively and offensively. I've read many more saying he's far from all that, and he's only had the one top flight season (last year) his career. (Albeit an excellent one.). And won't replicate that now he's a known quantity. Through all points in between.

So I'm completely in the dark here as to what to believe having never seen him play. (I have apparently in one Dortmund- Leipzig game but as I was watching for Pulisic I'm still none the wiser.). 

All I would say is if Klopp is prepared to go this high when he's never spent anything like this ever, then Keita must be pretty darn special and important to everything we do in his opinion. And his opinion is all that ultimately counts. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Honestly, know nothing about him shy of what I read. (And @DC9 having a major hard-on for him for months telling me he's World Class and then some ..... But what does that chump know? He wanted Benteke for Petes sake !!!!! :P .). I've read recruitment/ analytical guys at clubs and coaches saying he's top drawer and there's nobody like him anywhere to assess and compare as he's a unique 'duel' talent. Equally as statistically good defensively and offensively. I've read many more saying he's far from all that, and he's only had the one top flight season (last year) his career. (Albeit an excellent one.). And won't replicate that now he's a known quantity. Through all points in between.

So I'm completely in the dark here as to what to believe having never seen him play. (I have apparently in one Dortmund- Leipzig game but as I was watching for Pulisic I'm still none the wiser.). 

All I would say is if Klopp is prepared to go this high when he's never spent anything like this ever, then Keita must be pretty darn special and important to everything we do in his opinion. And his opinion is all that ultimately counts. 

Hail. 

He's a good player for sure.  His biggest strength as far as I glean is that he's versatile.  I think he started as a winger for RB, then moved central and played all roles: box to box, defensive, attacking.  To your point, there are a few managers in the world who I would trust to bring in their own players...Klopp is one one them, thankfully Conte is too.  

Pep on the other hand just buys for fun no matter the price or skill set.  LOL he has bought 3 defensive flanks for a total of like 140m.  What an absolute waste of money.