Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

17 hours ago, dchogs said:

Saw those reports as well- sounded all but done in TAW but others were more cautious.  Would be a sweet Brazilian triple headed monster. 

We'll know in a few weeks but the name came out of nowhere.  Saw mention of him in January but that's it.

If anyone interviewed him after the Olympics last year he'd probably say his back hurt from carrying Neymar and the rest of the squad to a gold medal.  Clearly the best player on the pitch and it wasn't close... Neymar his the pen that mattered and was the captain so that's all that mattered I guess.  He would be amazing bro, I'm telling you.

23 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Turkey U17 - England U17

Rhian and England U-17's Euro semi against Turkey for anyone interested.

Hail. 

Ever try running in the desert, bro?  It leaves a ****ing nasty dryness in the back of your throat that is just ridiculous... Just finished a long run and this is the perfect thing to wind down to.  Plan on watching the youngin from Fulham tonight, too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

But some parents take it like it's the be all and end all and live their failed careers vicariously through there kids to the extent there was often punches exchanged between the adults at some places we played. Madness. 

Agreed, Kids/Junior football is so hyped and intense, and I'm talking under 8 level. The competitive edge is beyond a joke at time for that age.

Also, and I can't keep out of this one, Sturridge can't be banked on, simple as that. You have missed him massively this season, problem is most people predicted that last July. Should move on or accept the risk as an impact/bit player only over the course of a season.

22 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Massive disconnect in the quality in the Premier league right now. Team in 8th on 45 points, well until later anyway, top 2 been a cut above the rest. 

Except we're better against the top 6 and it's not even close.

Chelsea is average against the top 6 but win what they're supposed to.

So it's not just "quality," as you put it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Massive disconnect in the quality in the Premier league right now. Team in 8th on 45 points, well until later anyway, top 2 been a cut above the rest. 

Injuries. Chelsea have had no key injuries. Plain and simple. 

There's your difference right there. 

Watford's annual managerial change has been confirmed. The Italian's last game Sunday. 

Hopefully, that gives the players the extra incentive to send him off with a bang against City. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

Let's take a look at chelsea and then compare to the other three of the top four.  

Chelsea vs. ManU: 1-0-1

Chelsea vs. Tott: 1-0-1

Chelsea vs. Pool: 0-1-1

Chelsea vs. Man C: 2-0-0

Chelsea vs. Arsenal: 1-0-1

Record: 5-1-4, better than Tottenham, Man City, Man United, and Arsenal.  In fact, the only other team in the PL that has a positive record against top 6.  

This doesn't factor in that during cup ties we've beaten city again, Man U again, Tottenham again, and hopefully Arsenal again.  I get it, most of those teams had Euro games to worry about earlier in the Season, but only ManU falls into that category when we actually played them (again, pretty sure).  So that's the potential for over a total season record with all fixtures considered: 9-1-4.  Pretty impressive if we manage to beat Arsenal.  

I'm not going to go through the other potential top three teams, but I will give their overalls.  

Tottenham vs top 6 (all fixtures): 3-3-5

Liverpool vs top 6 (all fixtures): 6-4-0 --> I think if I did the lookup right.  

Manchester City (all fixtures): 2-3-6

So, undoubtedly Liverpool has been the best.  But Chelsea have played more games against the top 6 which means that in all fixtures, they are winning when the games matter and eliminations are on the line.  Chelsea is certainly better than average against top 6.  

As far as other points.  Sure, we won the games we were supposed to.  Most wins in the PL by a long shot, fewest draws by a long shot, and one more loss than second best tottenham.  By the end of the year we could have 30 wins (probable), biggest goal differential (doubtful), most goals scored (probable), and player/manager of the year (check).  

To GHH point there have been very very few injuries. I think I saw a stat that Conte has changed his lineup by far the fewest of any manager in the league.  It's why I thought at the beginning of the year that Chelsea and Liverpool would finish top two.  Very talented teams with nothing to worry about but domestic football.  Next year, I'm sure will be different as both enter CL (99%) and have to deal with more fixtures.  

Edited by SkinssRvA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

So is that down to lack of focus, motivation, preparation etc against lower teams, top 2 been cut above for me but I'd consider 3rd a great finish for Liverpool to be fair.

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Injuries. Chelsea have had no key injuries. Plain and simple. 

There's your difference right there. 

So Liverpool compete well against the top 6 and under perform against others solely due to injuries. Not buying that at all. Think you lost it when Klopp **** the bed mid season.

• Like 1

I can sum it up a little better than you guys...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_0eSTlXUAA3303.jpg:large

And yes... if you mean "quality," as in "quality in depth," ours was tested more than anyones this year between Sturridge, Lallana, Mane, Matip, Coutinho, etc... as well as having to deal with AFCON (Mane) and even AFCON (Matip) for a player who retired internationally, the FA just took their time to rule on his eligibility didn't they?

It's no secret we struggled to break down a bus.

I see you in here trolling, P... why don't you go watch "Creed," so you can see a championship won at Goodison you no-good-doer! :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

So Liverpool compete well against the top 6 and under perform against others solely due to injuries. Not buying that at all. Think you lost it when Klopp **** the bed mid season.

I think you're talking out of your rear end on the turn of the year/ early 2017 period (and all the key injuries there in you're neglecting to mention < Not to mention L'pool 'only' performing well against top 6 sides>); but yer know, carry on unabated. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

43 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I think you're talking out of your rear end on the turn of the year/ early 2017 period (and all the key injuries there in you're neglecting to mention < Not to mention L'pool 'only' performing well against top 6 sides>); but yer know, carry on unabated. 

Hail. 

Never said 'only' GHH. 

It was widely acknowledged, think you may have agreed yourself, that Klopp/ the team ran out of idea's and struggled to switch to a Plan B. Those lost points and momentum never had enough time to recover. I think that's a fair, balanced view.

Citing injuries is the lamest excuse in the book. Always has been, always will be.

Chelski and Spurs have nailed this year. Liverpool fell short. I thought you'd miss out on the top 4. You knew you'd win the title.

Guess it will land in the middle now, but we all look forward to you telling all over the summer that you will rule Europe again in 2017/2018 :P

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

I can sum it up a little better than you guys...

Good to see you about DC :cheers:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Never said 'only' GHH. 

It was wrongly acknowledged, think you may have agreed yourself, that Klopp/ the team ran out of idea's and struggled to switch to a Plan B. Those lost points and momentum never had enough time to recover. I think that's a fair, balanced view.

Citing injuries is the lamest excuse in the book. Always has been, always will be.

Chelski and Spurs have nailed this year. Liverpool fell short. I thought you'd miss out on the top 4. You knew you'd win the title.

Guess it will land in the middle now, but we all look forward to you telling all over the summer that you will rule Europe again in 2017/2018 :P

Fixed that for you. 

It's only lazy journalists and ill-informed fans that trot out the 'No Plan B' bunkum. When your Plan A is tried and proven, as Klopp's is, you don't need a 'Plan B.' Ask Barcelona who don't change for anyone. And they win more games than they'll ever lose because they believe in what their doing to be the right way. You start the year and set your 'style' of play to what you have. And that shouldn't change. At all. You can subtly change formation/ personnel etc. But your 'style', remains the same. L'pool's dip came when that changed down to all the KEY injuries. Coutinho out for 2 months. Lallana similar on England duty. The captain and fulcrum Henderson, who sets the tempo, barely healthy for a quarter of the season. Matip and Lovren, the first choice centre backs, both missing large chunks with no understanding and consistency able to be bedded down. (Uncannily they've been together of late and L'pool ahve 4 clean sheets the last 5. Funny that.). Sadio away the whole of January the AFCON and then out the last 10 games of the season. And you straight faced want to call B/S on injuries not being the key difference between Chelsea and the rest? SERIOUSLY? Chelsea's depth is almost as bad as ours past players 13/14. No Hazard or Costa (considering they have F all else up front outside of him) alone out for a long spell and they'd of been ****ed. But it's not a factor and an excuse?  Behave lad will yer.

And when the injuries hit, coupled with not having the same quality in depth to replace and there being a BIG drop off in what came in, confidence went with it and L'pool stopped doing everything that had SO well and their 'style' changed. They stopped trying things. Stopped getting so many men forward that they couldn't be covered. Stopped playing at pace and moving. (Everything you saw Sunday. Funny that with all the top guys out there.). They started taking too many touches. the play became pedestrian. And results went with it. 

If you want to hold Klopp accountable, and he's made mistakes as he's gone this year he's learning from, then slate him for having TOO much faith in his squad and not realising it wasn't anywhere near good outside the first XI until it really got tested. Slate him for some costly defensive blunders from set pieces that still cost L'pool dear. But at least stick to actual facts on the year. 

Or you can carry on being ignorant on L'pool and Chelsea's respective seasons. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Fixed that for you. 

It's only lazy journalists and ill-informed fans that trot out the 'No Plan B' bunkum. When your Plan A is tried and proven, as Klopp's is, you don't need a 'Plan B.' Ask Barcelona who don't change for anyone.

Well sorry but I couldn't get past the comparison to Barca. :rofl89:

Is rite! Happy Dirk Kuyt Appreciation Day! https://twitter.com/hashtag/DirkKuytAppreciationDay?src=hash

If you've not had Dirk in your side, you'll never know how special he was. He was gegenpressing before it was even a word or fashionable! Want a guy to score a goal on the big occasion? Call on #18. One of the best examples of sheer hard work maximising limited natural ability to be a VITAL team cog who'd selfishly play anywhere and be effective every game. 

My favourite Kuyt moment was in the Derby over the pit in 2007. After r 'mate' Clattenburg somehow didn't walk him for this on Neville

And he went on to score two late for a 2-1 win. With that top 'Red' Clattenburg waving away a clear peno the last minute when Carra hauled down their lad by the neck and body slammed him! Oh the frigging fume after that one! Blue heads fell off all over the place! In fact thinking about it that just may well be my favourite game like EVER! :ols: :ols:

Top, TOP bloke off the field too: 

NSFW. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Is rite! Happy Dirk Kuyt Appreciation Day! https://twitter.com/hashtag/DirkKuytAppreciationDay?src=hash

My favourite Kuyt moment was in the Derby over the pit in 2007. After r 'mate' Clattenburg somehow didn't walk him for this on Neville

Hail. 

Liverpool fan celebrating dirty and dangerous play? Say it isnt so!