Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

..... Arent Christmas colors everywhere red and green? People are really getting upset about that? haha, thats crazy.

I gotta say, this last month or so of soccer fandom for me has been pretty horrible. Blues not playing well or getting results, US playing horribly and dropping points to Mexico and Costa Rica, heres hoping the next month and into next year goes much better.

• Like 4

Finally got the fam back up to the DMV and almost out of boxes.  Disappointed to be playing on Saturday as I'm hosting a family dinner that afternoon and was hoping to have a football breakfast/brunch to start the weekend.

Watched about 40 minutes of QPR vs Wolves today, only cause junior loves the championship for some reason, but that got old, too.

Gonna take him out to meet the local club coach tomorrow and see what the timeline is for winter training.  Hopefully all goes well.

Cheers, gents.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Finally got the fam back up to the DMV and almost out of boxes.  Disappointed to be playing on Saturday as I'm hosting a family dinner that afternoon and was hoping to have a football breakfast/brunch to start the weekend.

Watched about 40 minutes of QPR vs Wolves today, only cause junior loves the championship for some reason, but that got old, too.

Gonna take him out to meet the local club coach tomorrow and see what the timeline is for winter training.  Hopefully all goes well.

Cheers, gents.

Welcome.  Let me know if you are ever in the 'M' part, especially near Greenbelt (work) or Annapolis (close to where I live). We could have a brew or 3.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, btfoom said:

Welcome.  Let me know if you are ever in the 'M' part, especially near Greenbelt (work) or Annapolis (close to where I live). We could have a brew or 3.

Thanks brother, I definitely will.

Just up for the month then out to middle earth for the next several though.  Definitely something for Champions League next year though.  Hoping we get grouped together :)

1 minute ago, DC9 said:

Thanks brother, I definitely will.

Just up for the month then out to middle earth for the next several though.  Definitely something for Champions League next year though.  Hoping we get grouped together :)

It would be great, but we'd have to petition the UCL to allow 2 League Champions to play in the same group:cheers:.

Hope the mini-DC9ers find good clubs that let them become better players and more importantly, enjoy the game.  By the way, don't thing this is what winter is like around the DMV.  It will get COLD later.  Hope the weather holds for your time here.

• Like 1

On a different note, these stories show just how classy football fans/teams can be and how the sport is bigger than all of us as it brings out the best in us. We all were saddened by the news of the plane crash of the team  Chapecoense.  The team they were supposed to play  in the Copa Sudamerica Final, Colombia's Atletico Nacional, has proposed to CONMEBOL that the title be awarded to Chapecoense.  That is class:

http://www.espnfc.us/copa-sudamericana/story/3008366/conmebol-weighs-atletico-nacional-bid-to-give-copa-sudamericana-to-chapecoense

CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez called Atletico Nacional's proposal to give the Copa Sudamericana 2016 title to Chapecoense "admirable" and said the governing body for South American football will evaluate the offer.

A plane carrying the Brazilian team crashed en route to Medellin on Monday night, killing 71 people and leaving six survivors. The tragedy prompted the Colombian to request that CONMEBOL award the title to their opponents as a gesture of sportsmanship.

Atletico Nacional ended up winning the Copa Libertadores in 2016 and were headed into the Copa Sudamericana final before the tragic Chapecoense plane crash, which killed 71 people and left six survivors.

"It is very admirable, however, now is the time for us to get down to work," Dominguez said on Wednesday upon arrival in Medellin. "We will talk with the leaders in Brazil and Colombia as well as Nacional's front office. I don't know much about it right now but the gesture is honourable. I did not have time to review it yet."

"As soon as we finish our [CONMEBOL] meeting we will make a statement about this subject," he said.

Colombia football federation president Jorge Perdomo agreed with the team's gesture, and added that he would investigate the possibility.<rest at link>

See this to show how the fans of Atletico have reacted:

Even the team they are supposed to play in the final round of the league won't play the game (even though the League Officials said they should play with their "B" team):

http://www.espnfc.com/brazilian-futebol/story/3009180/atletico-mineiro-say-they-wont-play-final-round-match-vs-chapecoense

CHAPECO, Brazil -- The president of Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro says the team will not play their final-round match of the Brazilian league season against Chapecoense.

Nineteen of the Chapecoense's players were killed Monday in an air crash in Colombia. Three survived but are hospitalized in Colombia.

Chapecoense's acting president said earlier in the week that the head of the Brazilian Football Confederation, Marco Polo Del Nero, had ordered Chapecoense to play their final match using a team made up mostly of junior players.

"We believe in sport," Atletico Mineiro president Daniel Nepomuceno said. "We respect the pain. It's not the moment to demand that players" play this match.<rest at link>

Follow up - because of this stand, the Federation has backed off having this game.

I will make sure to be only positive in this thread for the weekend as my small way of showing support for the survivors and families from this tragedy.

Edited by btfoom
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DC9 said:

This is why this is the best game in the world.

Cavani, who i despise mainly because of his overratedness... was all class after his pen for PSG yesterday.

Agree on all counts.  The fans always come together when tragedy strikes.

He even took the YC in stride.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Was hoping the ref would just eat that.  I suppose he HAD to though.

I read on a blog that the ref really didn't want to caution him, but Cavani and he talked in English as the ref said he "had to" (or face sanctions) and Cavani said "No problem, I understand".  Would love to see the French FA rescind it.

• Like 2

Lallana and Firmino did the full session yesterday so that's positive for the weekend. 

Interesting article on L'pool's quiet man (Literally!) Buvac. Don't think I've ever seen anything substantial on I'm so it's worth a read. (You need to register with The Times for the full article which then gives you two free articles a week.). 

Meet ‘The Brain’ – Klopp’s lieutenant who has key role in Anfield revolution | Sport | The Times & The Sunday Times

Hail. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Excellent news. Sheyi Ojo cleared to start playing again. 

Get a good slew of U-18/ U-23 games under your belt and work your behind off in training lad ready for the second half push. 

Really missed not having the option of him.

Hail. 

That U-23 team could probably stay up in the Premier League at the moment.

The only team we can't beat is Leeds United.  Even when we beat them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DC9 said:

That U-23 team could probably stay up in the Premier League at the moment. 

The only team we can't beat is Leeds United.  Even when we beat them.

Theres a brilliant piece on Tuesday from Neil Atkinson on the Wrap reviewing the game posing the question if you had to chose between spending the night with 10 Utd lads or 10 Leeds lads you'd go with the Mancs down to Leeds just being horrible, horrible lads.

Bur I didn''t want to link it in case it set Morrison off on more delusional flights of fancy about what brilliant lads they are.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Even Joyce is trolling them now. :ols:.

Koeman: I like a glass of red wine but that does not mean I am not a blue

Watch yer back lid Sunday the Utd game. 

This ****s better than even the Agent Johnson times. 

The Dutch fella's a belter. :rofl89:

'Koeman, Is a Red. Koeman, Koeman Is a Red!' 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Ahhhh crud. This is a blow to the structure. 

paul joyce ‏@_pauljoyce 25m25 minutes ago

Liverpool U23s coach Michael Beale to join São Paulo

13 replies .88 retweets61 likes

Liverpool U23s boss Michael Beale stepping down - will Steven Gerrard fill any vacancy at Kirkby? - Liverpool Echo

Losing an excellent coach and developer of young talent there. Done terrific over the last 4 years and prior at Chelsea.

All the best Bealey. Thanks for the hard work at Kirkby. On the plus side that leaves a coaching opening for Gerrard to come home now after a rejig with internal promotions.

Hail. 

Sao Paulo have a TON of young talent.

It's the hotbed for Brasilian Football.

Gabigol and Luan are from there, though Luan plays for Greimo. 

Tough sledding there, but would love for Stevie to get involved back in the club.  I throw up in my mouth a little everytime I ready a piece about he and MK Dons.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Sao Paulo have a TON of young talent.

It's the hotbed for Brasilian Football.

Gabigol and Luan are from there, though Luan plays for Greimo. 

Tough sledding there, but would love for Stevie to get involved back in the club.  I throw up in my mouth a little everytime I ready a piece about he and MK Dons.

Can't blame the fella' for both stepping up in his career and experiencing a new Country/ culture in so doing. 

Gerrard returning home would make me ECSTATIC! Make it so L'pool! 

Hail. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Can't blame the fella' for both stepping up in his career and experiencing a new Country/ culture in so doing. 

Gerrard returning home would make me ECSTATIC! Make it so L'pool! 

Hail. 

Plus the women in Sao Paulo are smoking hot.:cheers:

Not happy with Bayern going one down in the fourth minute.  Nice response about 4 minutes later.  A Robben goal and then a sweet free kick by Lewa in 90th minute secure the 3 points.  RB play home to Schalke tomorrow - tough match.  Bayern v RB is the final BL match of the first half of the season.  Looking forward to that one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Theres a brilliant piece on Tuesday from Neil Atkinson on the Wrap reviewing the game posing the question if you had to chose between spending the night with 10 Utd lads or 10 Leeds lads you'd go with the Mancs down to Leeds just being horrible, horrible lads.

Bur I didn''t want to link it in case it set Morrison off on more delusional flights of fancy about what brilliant lads they are.

Hail.

Difference between making a great atmosphere and being brilliant lads tbf! Never once said that Leeds' core support isn't rough.