Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Wonder what Mourinho's excuse will be after this one?

Didn't they only score one goal from open play.  Can't remember if the away goal was a pen or not...

Diego Costa is a dick!!

How can anyone watch him and think that Suarez (outside of the biting) was dirtier.

Costa is either diving or trying to injure.  Point blank.

Didn't they only score one goal from open play.  Can't remember if the away goal was a pen or not...

Ivanovic header.

Still though, no excuses playing a full half and extra time against 10 men and still coming up short. Conceding from two set pieces also. Looking forward to seeing what nonsense he comes up with. 

• Like 1

Ivanovic header.

Still though, no excuses playing a full half and extra time against 10 men and still coming up short. Conceding from two set pieces also. Looking forward to seeing what nonsense he comes up with. 

So no chance of this?

Robbie Fowler @Robbie9Fowler 11m11 minutes ago

People will respect mourinho tonight if he comes out and says exactly what we've just seen

That was the direct result of a FK as well.  Nothing from real open play.

Chelski and Mou (the special whining one) only know one way to play vs top teams - park the bus and play for free kicks.

They were only favorites in their own minds (and the idiots on ESPN and Fox).  Just as happy to see them out as to see Bayern through.

@DC9, GHH, and any other EPL fans:  Do you now think EPL needs to take a fresh look at how they do things?

That league was so much better 10 or so years ago.  Better sides, better football, certainly better in Europe.  Looks like only Everton will lead the line after next week.

I remember cynical Mou saying PSG was the easiest draw and happy because "I think Paris would be good. It would be easy to travel for us and to travel for the fans".

Now he's complaining about the officiating who denied them a PK on Diego Costa, how about Costa not getting a red José ?

• Like 2

Chelsea were poor and PSG played well last night (first leg was a wash). PSG deserved to go through no question.

The referring was terrible - but not helped by the players, mainly Chelsea but by no means exclusivly. Luiz pretended Costa had headbutted him to try to get Costa sent off. There has to be something done to get all the 'simulation' (read blatant cheating) out of the game. Managers have some responsibility but ultimatley its up to FIFA and UEFA along with the referees to stamp it out with consistent and meaningful penalties both on and off the feld. 

The standard of referring generally though is also a cause for concern. There are far too many games being decided by poor or inconsistent decision making by officials not players.

@DC9, GHH, and any other EPL fans:  Do you now think EPL needs to take a fresh look at how they do things?

That league was so much better 10 or so years ago.  Better sides, better football, certainly better in Europe.  Looks like only Everton will lead the line after next week.

I don't.  It's just like the Stanley Cup playoffs... once you get in anyone can win the tournament.

I mean, how many times has the "favorite" not won?  A lot.

It'll come back around.

the Premier League needs to step back and take a look at itself.

Unbelievably bad year in Europe, and its been that way since Cronaldo was sold to Madrid.

Chelsea were a complete embarrassment last night. Up a man and didnt attack. Mourinho got outsmarted by a real bum in Laurent Blanc, lol.

Verratti is a beastly player. HE is the type of player Arsenal needs in the midfield.

I think it's a combination of two things:

1. The level of competition in the EPL is higher from top to bottom. The other leagues have two to three or four great teams and a bunch of weaker sides. The great teams in those leagues are fresher than the EPL team because they aren't grinding out wins weekly. I think the competition wears these teams out.

2. The managers from the EPL are being out coached. The idea of parking the bus and hoping for a free kick or a goal on the counter does not work against these highly skilled teams. They need to be more offensive with their tactics.

• Like 1

Bottom line ..... very few fans care outside of your own individual club. 

English clubs aren't representing England or the BPL in Europe just as Bayern and the German clubs aren't representing the Bundesliga and Germany, You're in Europe for yourselves. NOBODY else. Personally speaking, I was ecstatic last night with Chelsea going. And I'll be made up next week if, as seems likely, Arsenal and City go. Aside from club rivalry, with the mount of money at stake in the Champions League now you don't want your competitors earning more and more to compete against you. 

As regards the 'failure' of English clubs the last few years in European competition ..... 

The Europa League is a futile debate. Most all English clubs are just not interested in the competition sadly. The financial rewards are so miniscule they just don't make it worth while along with the extra burden placed on an already stupid fixture list here. Clubs use it as a breeding ground to blood youngsters and give squad players a game, If they progress, so be it. If they go out, meh, who cares? Even Liverpool in the last round patently didn't want to be in the tournament, as born out by both the managers comments prior and the total apathetic, half hearted display on the pitch. A total disgrace to the 2,000 who travelled out (many of whom didn't even make the game, or got in at various points from the second half on thanks to Besiktas f-ing up the 'agreed' transport to a stadium that is in the middle of nowhere); but it is what it is. So to say English clubs record in the Europa League is poor is misleading as it's far more down to their lack of interest and taking the competition seriously than being outplayed by the opposition. 

The Champions League is still the be all and end all down to the money and this year has just been one of those years. Let's not forget English teams have competed in 7 of the last 10 finals with 8 clubs, winning 3. The only Nation that remotely comes close to that is Spain. (4 of the last 10 finals with 5 clubs. 4 wins.). 

Just a bad couple of years for English clubs in the top competition. 

Hail. 

1. The level of competition in the EPL is higher from top to bottom. The other leagues have two to three or four great teams and a bunch of weaker sides. The great teams in those leagues are fresher than the EPL team because they aren't grinding out wins weekly. I think the competition wears these teams out.

2. The managers from the EPL are being out coached. The idea of parking the bus and hoping for a free kick or a goal on the counter does not work against these highly skilled teams. They need to be more offensive with their tactics.

1. This is something that premiership defenders tell themselves in comfort. The competition is just as strong in other leagues. Maybe Bayern is up by 100 points in the Bundesliga because Bayern are really that good and would be up a lot in the premiership too? Thats never talked about. Also Chelsea had a week between their last 2 matches and are 8 points clear.

They also havent played well in 2015 and still been winning matches.

2. The managers in the league are deficient. They do not have to deal with issues or figure out solutions. The solution is usually to buy another player.

The Europa League is a futile debate. Most all English clubs are just not interested in the competition sadly.

I disagree. Once they get to the knockout stages (and most English clubs do), they usually field stronger teams.

On top of that, now there is a chance to earn a CL group stage place by winning? Nah, they are interested in that. They just cant beat these other sides.

The Champions League is still the be all and end all down to the money and this year has just been one of those years. Let's not forget English teams have competed in 7 of the last 10 finals with 8 clubs, winning 3. The only Nation that remotely comes close to that is Spain. (4 of the last 10 finals with 5 clubs. 4 wins.).

I will quote the tweet, only 8 English teams have made the CL quarterfinals since Cronaldo was sold (and I always mention him because that summer saw the Spanish arms race begin). There were 8 teams to make it the prior 2 seasons.

This is not just a minor blip, this has happened for a while. These English teams are just not as strong.

Edited by JoeWolf990

1. Yeah, this is something that premiership defenders tell themselves in comfort. The competition is just as strong in other leagues. Maybe Bayern is up by 100 points in the Bundesliga because Bayern are really that good and would be up a lot in the premiership too? Thats never talked about. Also Chelsea had a week between their last 2 matches and are 8 points clear.

They also havent played well in 2015 and still been winning matches.

2. The managers in the league are deficient. They do not have to deal with issues or figure out solutions. The solution is usually to buy another player.

Those are two different questions:

1. Are the teams in the EPL the best in the world? Absolutely not!!

2. Why are the teams in the EPL losing in Europe to teams they should beat?

• Like 1

Teams may field stronger teams in the Knock-out stages of the Europa. But that doesn't mean they're anymore interested.

Tottenham and Liverpool didn't want the competition at all. Fighting for the too 4 is a FAR bigger priority. It's maddening as with the Europa now carrying a guaranteed Chamos Lge spot, with NO guarantee the league will yield that; you'd think it would be more attractive.

But the Europa Lge is still WAY down the bigger clubs priority list.

BTW, there's absolutely zero chance Italy catches England in the coefficient table and takes the fourth Champs League spot anytime soon. So whilst the ratings falling, it's not in imminent danger.

And for our Munich friend, I'd LOVE to be facing Bayern right now and would strongly fancy Liverpools chances the run we're on. We aren't playing fantastic by any means, but we're solid and a threat to anyone.

Only Madrid and Barca down to the individual genius' Ronaldo and Messi would worry me.

Bayern are efficient rather than special for me.

Hail.

Playing weaker sides also gives you a better chance to develop your depth.

Our only real chances are U-21, which is normally against other depth - or early cup rounds unless you get a bad draw.  These other leagues can do that throughout the year.

Tottenham and Liverpool didn't want the competition at all. Fighting for the too 4 is a FAR bigger priority. It's maddening as with the Europa now carrying a guaranteed Chamos Lge spot, with NO guarantee the league will yield that; you'd think it would be more attractive.

this is why im skeptical about teams not taking it serious.

If it was last year, sure. Its still bunk to me but sure lets grant that for last year. Its not true this year. Also, Im sure the La Liga teams have a huge interest in making the top 4 as well.

BTW, there's absolutely zero chance Italy catches England in the coefficient table and takes the fourth Champs League spot anytime soon. So whilst the ratings falling, it's not in imminent danger.

yeah, thats not happening unless this trend continues for another 4 years, iirc.

And for our Munich friend, I'd LOVE to be facing Bayern right now and would strongly fancy Liverpools chances the run we're on. We aren't playing fantastic by any means, but we're solid and a threat to anyone.

Bayern would roast you guys. They would roast the entire league as well so this is not a knock on Liverpool.