Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Besiktas. Crud.

After much deliberation over night, I'm going to leave this one as I've been Istanbul a number of times, two of which where to both Besiktas and to the Ataturk where they are currently playing as they build their new ground.

From the clubs point of view, a good draw to progress.

But then at the minute, I have ZERO confidence of progressing past Bournemouth and Wimbledon in the League and FA Cups respectively so it would be highly arrogant to look past this round in Europe.

Hail.,

• Like 1

Monaco about to get that WORK.

Barca v Madrid is a massive game but their rivalry is mainly based on being the two best teams in the world. I wouldn't say it's the fixture with the most intimidating atmosphere as you would be lucky to see more than 500 away fans at the ground.

you really think this? Edited by JoeWolf990

Monaco about to get that WORK.

you really think this?

I'd prob rank it Real Madrid, Bayern, Chelsea, Barca at the moment to be fair. 

Could've worded what I said a lot better. More to do with the fact Barca and Madrid have been two of the worlds most successful clubs ever and so are tied to each other through a constant battle for league position and to be Spain's best. The rivalry doesn't really have any other meaning behind it whereas Liverpool-Man u for example it goes as far as music, fashion, industry etc and with Celtic-Rangers it's mainly religion. Obviously theres stuff like the Spanish civil war and stuff but the hatred isn't really as intense. 

Edited by Morrison J

Could've worded what I said a lot better. More to do with the fact Barca and Madrid have been two of the worlds most successful clubs ever and so are tied to each other through a constant battle for league position and to be Spain's best. The rivalry doesn't really have any other meaning behind it whereas Liverpool-Man u for example it goes as far as music, fashion, industry etc and with Celtic-Rangers it's mainly religion. Obviously theres stuff like the Spanish civil war and stuff but the hatred isn't really as intense. 

Oh, it is from the Catalan's POV.

Real still represent everything they want independence from. That pride manifests itself in the football.

I wouldn't personally put Real/ Barca up there with the Worlds bitterest rivalry's.

But it certainly goes far beyond merely a football game.

Hail.

You'd be disappointed to say the least if Everton didn't reach the last 16 after that draw.

Hail.

Very disappointed. At the same time it would be rather thrilling to make it to the last 16, so far this whole European run has been very fun, I hope it continues. We have played better in the Europa League then in the Premier League.

Very disappointed. At the same time it would be rather thrilling to make it to the last 16, so far this whole European run has been very fun, I hope it continues. We have played better in the Europa League then in the Premier League.

It'll get even more exciting from the last 16 onwards if there's not any shocks this round.

Long time since the Uefa/ Europa has been this strong.

It's like the old days.

Hail.

Oh, it is from the Catalan's POV.

Real still represent everything they want independence from. That pride manifests itself in the football.

I wouldn't personally put Real/ Barca up there with the Worlds bitterest rivalry's.

But it certainly goes far beyond merely a football game.

Hail.

There is a fair bit of an underlying story there but for whatever reason it isn't as heated as in most countries. Maybe its the laid back persona's of the Spanish. I'm honestly not sure. 

Agreed its definitely not a rivalry that compares to plenty other rivalries in other countries. Just doesn't have the same passion. Its a strange one though. Theres also too many tourists in both the Bernabeu and Nou Camp for the hatred to really show itself. 

734925_493975030666735_63551243_n.jpg

There is a fair bit of an underlying story there but for whatever reason it isn't as heated as in most countries. Maybe its the laid back persona's of the Spanish. I'm honestly not sure. 

Agreed its definitely not a rivalry that compares to plenty other rivalries in other countries. Just doesn't have the same passion. Its a strange one though. Theres also too many tourists in both the Bernabeu and Nou Camp for the hatred to really show itself. 

Quietest gathering of 80/ 90K plus people I've ever heard is at the Nou Camp.

And Madrid by their very nature of being the biggest club in the World has more 'tourists' with cameras every other week like you say.

Never seen as many Japanese outside of Japan as those in attendance at the Bernabeu.

Hail.

• Like 1

It matters to Barca fans, but I will say that FC Barcelona are opportunists when it comes to that rivalry.