Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Loyalty: To the Team or the Region?

Fresh8686

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

actually... i have no idea what i'd do. it'd all depend on where they went, who came here, and what the league did with the names/history.

if the franchise moved, got a new name, and left the history behind - with a new team coming here, getting the name, and the history, then i'd stay with the region.

but if they took everything with them... i have no idea what i'd do.

i like going to games... so iw ouldn't be able to go to the game anymore... it'd be an interesting situation...

This might make me sound bad, but I really don't care much about the region/city that my teams represent. I'm not really into sports as a civic pride thing. All of my sport loyalties and allegiances predate any concept I had of where I lived or anything like that.

Now, the teams I supported tended to be the local ones for convenience reasons. As a 5-7 year old, you get excited about the teams that are on the 6:00 news, in the morning papers, and on TV.

But, to me, the city that a team represented never really mattered to me. That seems, as least to me, to be an attribute that would matter to those who became fans later in life.

The Redskins could move anywhere and I'd probably have a tough time rooting for the next-closest team or an eventual replacement DC team. I've just been doing it for almost as long as I can remember and find it hard to imagine doing something else.

Just a thought-Most everyone is saying that Reskins will never move and that they are the lifeblood of the city and that it would be Armegeddon if they moved. I wonder how many people in Cleveland said that before the Browns moved (or in Baltimore before the Colts moved). I don't think it'll happen, I just thought I'd bring it up. So, who do the old Browns fans root for? The Ravens or the new Browns?

Just a thought-Most everyone is saying that Reskins will never move and that they are the lifeblood of the city and that it would be Armegeddon if they moved. I wonder how many people in Cleveland said that before the Browns moved (or in Baltimore before the Colts moved). I don't think it'll happen, I just thought I'd bring it up. So, who do the old Browns fans root for? The Ravens or the new Browns?

But thats the thing... when the Browns left cleveland for Baltimore there was a deal struck up - The owners would relocate the the browns, rename them, and lose ownership with the understanding they would get a new team in x years that would be the Browns, and the history would stay with Cleveland.

Thats why it's impossible to say what you'd do right now. It'd all depend on the circumstances.

IE:

If the redskins moved, and became the LA RandomNames, and left everything behind, under the understanidng that a new team would be formed in washington (maybe moved from somewhere else, al la Expos/Nationals, or maybe created from scratch) that would be called the Redskins and all franchise history would stay in washington - then what would you do? If you cheer for the new LA team you're following the owners/current players... if you stay here you're following the name/history.

Likewise... if they took everything with them, and were teh LA Redskins, and washington got a brand new team, name, clean slate etc. Thenw hat would you do?

Also - how does Snyder figure into it... Does he keep the franchise and move? Or does he stay and start a new team. How does that factor into the different scenarios.

A relocation is not as cut and dry as it what we're saying here. The browns moved to baltimore and became the ravens - cleveland got a new browns team.

Meanwhile the raiders have moved all over the place, same with the rams, and have kept their name/history.

It all depends :shrug:

they would get a new team in x years that would be the Browns, and the history would stay with Cleveland.

A little off topic, but is that true? Did all of the records stay with Cleveland? I thought I saw something one time where a Raven set a franchise record, and it was one that beat out a former Brown. I don't know specifics-sorry. And I apologize for getting off-topic. Now back to the thread.

By the way, I think it would be easy to root for the LA RandomNames at first, but eventually the players that we know would retire and the local news would be all about the new Washington team and those would be the games we would go to. After a while, it would just be a faint memory, and we would be cheering the new Washington team, and our grandchildren would sit on our laps asking us to tell them about the days when there was a team in the area named after Indians.

I grew up 10mins outside of Baltimore City in the 70's and was a teen in the 80's (always a Skins fan, family was as well) and that is/was Colts-Ravens territory...for me it's the team (always was and always will be) and now even living in Pa (1hr 45mins) from FedEx it's still the Redskins...so it's not region for me, it's simply the Burgundy and Gold.

A little off topic, but is that true? Did all of the records stay with Cleveland? I thought I saw something one time where a Raven set a franchise record, and it was one that beat out a former Brown. I don't know specifics-sorry. And I apologize for getting off-topic. Now back to the thread.

By the way, I think it would be easy to root for the LA RandomNames at first, but eventually the players that we know would retire and the local news would be all about the new Washington team and those would be the games we would go to. After a while, it would just be a faint memory, and we would be cheering the new Washington team, and our grandchildren would sit on our laps asking us to tell them about the days when there was a team in the area named after Indians.

Every time I heard the ravens records and franchise hsitory mentioned - its always since they moved... I'm not 100% certain... but I believe Cleveland got to keep everything.

THey moved the team because the owners sucked. The franchise sucked. This was the NFL's way of pushing an owner out quietly, although the details were pretty public.

From the wiki page - if you don't want to trust it then do your own research :)

:

The Baltimore Ravens came into existence in 1996 when Art Modell, then owner of the Cleveland Browns, announced his intention to relocate his team from Cleveland to Baltimore. The controversy ended when representatives of Cleveland and the NFL reached a settlement on February 8, 1996. The agreement stipulated that the Browns' name, colors, uniform design and franchise records would remain in Cleveland. The franchise history included Browns club records and connections with Pro Football Hall of Fame players. A new team to begin play in 1999 would be regarded as the "reactivated" Cleveland Browns. Modell's Baltimore team, while retaining all current player contracts, would officially be the expansion team, a "new franchise."[1] Not all players, staff or front office would make the move to Baltimore, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Ravens

As for your last point - I could understand following the players of there was something to follow. I don't see anyone on the team right now that'd be worth following the LA RandomNames at this point, but thats just me. If everything stayed here then you wouldn't be following the historic players that, to be honest, I think is all thats really keeping us together at this point... THere's been nothign to root for around here since 92... except for the one offeseason where Gibbs was hired back - and that was short lived...

Cleveland Browns fans didn't start rooting for the Ravens when the Browns bolted to Baltimore. Baltimoreans despised the Colts after they fled for Indianapolis. How would this be any different?

My loyalty is with DC, no question. If they became the San Antonio Redskins, they would just be another team from Texas to me. I'd probably root against them for ditching DC. Did Brooklyn Dodger fans root for the LA Dodgers after they left Brooklyn? Of course not. That's silly.

My wife is from New Orleans and I follow the Saints a little bit because of that, so I'd just become a Saints fan if the Skins were to move.

tshile, good post!

When I replied, I assumed that everything Redskins would move with the team. If there was a Cleveland-type situation where the Redskins moved to LA to become the LA Gold and a team was going to slide into DC to retain all things Redskins...then I'd remain loyal to the Redskins.

I guess, after typing that, the answer is the same. I will follow the Redskins franchise wherever it goes. That means following an out-of-area team if the "REDSKINS" move or following the local team if the current franchise leaves and is replaced with a new Redskin franchise.

From the wiki page - if you don't want to trust it then do your own research :)

:

Thanks for the info. I have no problem letting you do my research :)- especially since my boss kinda frowns on me not getting any work done. BUt I have gotten good at hitting the buttom to hide the page on my screen.

When the Colts left for Indy, they kept everything-- the logo, the colors, the "Colts" nickname. And people in Baltimore hate the "Indianapolis" Colts. They're so bitter still that whenever the Colts play the Ravens in Baltimore, they put "Indy" on the scoreboard rather than "Colts."

That's about the same way I'd approach it if there Skins were to ever move.

When the Colts left for Indy, they kept everything-- the logo, the colors, the "Colts" nickname. And people in Baltimore hate the "Indianapolis" Colts. They're so bitter still that whenever the Colts play the Ravens in Baltimore, they put "Indy" on the scoreboard rather than "Colts."

That's about the same way I'd approach it if there Skins were to ever move.

A mistake that the NFL owners won't let happen again, I hope. Its clearly bad for business.

City always comes first. The most important part of a team, to me, isn't the nickname; but the city that comes before it.

If the Redskins ever left town, I would be COMPLETELY heart broken; and I wouldn't be surprised if the city rioted. That's never going to happen, though. It would be the dumbest thing anyone could do.

I'd argue and say that if you would stop following the Redskins because they moved, you aren't much of a Redskins fan.

You're right. I'm not a Redskins fan. I'm a WASHINGTON Redskins fan and I make no apologies for it.

As long as they continue to represent my hometown, I'm a fan. The moment they don't, I won't support them. Especially if they continue to be owned by Little Danny.

You're right. I'm not a Redskins fan. I'm a WASHINGTON Redskins fan and I make no apologies for it.

As long as they continue to represent my hometown, I'm a fan. The moment they don't, I won't support them. Especially if they continue to be owned by Little Danny.

Exactly.

My father was a huge Senators fan as a teenager, but I can tell you for sure, he's never owned anything with the Texas Rangers logo on it.

For me, it's all about city allegiance (apart from my current university, which I also support). I was fortunate enough to be born in a great sports town and I'll never take that for granted.

Washington first.

Growing up in Birmingham, Alabama, there aren't a lot of professional teams to root for. So there have never really been teams for me to naturally start following. A lot of people around here are fans of Atlanta sports, though. That's the nearest city with teams in major sports leagues. I do like the Hawks, because I see a lot of their games on tv.

But if there were major professional sports teams in Birmingham (which there won't ever be), you better believe I'd be die-hard.

So what if a team moves to Bethesda, then who do you root for?

I guess it depends why the team leaves the city. I should've put that in there.

I can't think of a reason that would make fans feel ok about their team moving. Teams typically leave a city for greener pastures (bigger market, new stadium, etc.). It's usually a slap in the face to the town that's losing the team.

Ha.

Well actually, my Grandfather went through this with the New York Giants baseball team. He was born and raised New York and when the Giants moved to SanFran. At first he rooted for the SF team as best he could... With no DirecTV package or ability to travel that far on a regular basis, the Giants became to him, as you said, a faint memory. Today he's the biggest Mets fan I know and he really has absolutely no feeling to the Giants... they're just another team now.

So yeah. I'd say you were spot on.

Right now I'm loyal to teams I grew up rooting for. Redskins, Wizards (Bullets), Capitals and Orioles. Senators left when I was 4. Never saw them play. It's hard to say who I'd root for if the Redskins left. It depends on where they move and if our history is left here. If Danny ever took them out of DC, he better hire the National Guard to protect him. Fans would storm his treeless home on the Potomac. I can't see the Redskins ever leaving as long as I'm alive, but you never know.

Archived