Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Miles Austin has surpassed Andre Johnson as best WR in NFL

MattFancy

No amount of stats that have come from a part of a season can even come close to justifying the statement of "Miles Austin is better than Andre Johnson." Austin had a good part season, and put up some good numbers in a pass happy offense. But he doesn't even crack the top 5 of receivers in the NFL. Top 10 is even questionable.

No amount of stats that have come from a part of a season can even come close to justifying the statement of "Miles Austin is better than Andre Johnson." Austin had a good part season, and put up some good numbers in a pass happy offense. But he doesn't even crack the top 5 of receivers in the NFL. Top 10 is even questionable.

Not that it'll change your opinion any, but the Texans thew the ball more often than the Cowboys last year, so to discount Austin's numbers because of a "pass happy offense" is really quite silly.

Austin may not be a top 5 WR in the NFL, but his production was top 3 in 2009. If he repeats his production in 2010 any list that doesn't have him top 5 will be completely foolish and biased.

Not that it'll change your opinion any, but the Texans thew the ball more often than the Cowboys last year, so to discount Austin's numbers because of a "pass happy offense" is really quite silly.

Austin may not be a top 5 WR in the NFL, but his production was top 3 in 2009. If he repeats his production in 2010 any list that doesn't have him top 5 will be completely foolish and biased.

Who said I was discounting his numbers? I even said that he put up good numbers for the part of the season he played in. :ols:

My point was that for any person to say that Austin has become the best receiver, after part of a season, is what is really quite silly here. As a couple others have pointed out, I'd like to see him do this on a consistent basis before he's placed on top of the true elite of receivers.

Please, please...EVERYONE knows Miles Austin is not the best WR in the NFC...Dez Bryant is! His 'metrics' are currently perfect.

I heard in on ESPN (Extra Stupid Pukes Network.)

I remember a few years ago, when we made the playoffs for the first time in awhile, the expectations for the next year were incredible...and, we know what happened.

There is no easy path to the playoffs. Repeating for two years in a row is somewhat of a feat.

That's why this current version of puke fail this year will be the most satisfying for me and the most crushing for puke fans.

And, as usually happens when expectations are high for a particular player, he's either injured or can't beat the hype.

Can't wait for some more puke failure.

:ols:

Austin is hardly unstoppable. Towards the end of the season, he was becoming quite manageable by defenses.

Don't expect Romo sits to pee to have two minutes to pass anymore.

That should impact Austin's stats dramatically.

Austin is hardly unstoppable. Towards the end of the season, he was becoming quite manageable by defenses.

Don't expect Romo sits to pee to have two minutes to pass anymore.

That should impact Austin's stats dramatically.

http://www.nfl.com/players/milesaustin/gamelogs?id=AUS467198

Please start having facts to back up your statements, Austin was pretty consistent, ending the regular season with 6 games of 6+ catches and at least 70 yards, 3 100+ yard games and 4tds. Any way you cut it his production was elite level.

For those of you who say that Joyner is just reporting his findings, riddle me this? If your sole measure of stating that Miles Austin is better than Andre Johnson how can he be considered the best himself if he didn't lead the NFL in that category?

Miles Austin had a heck of a year and is a heck of a player but this article is a prime example of the addage, "Lies, damn lies and statistics".

The best argument against this is that one year does not an elite receiver make.

Would anyone have argued that Santana Moss was the best receiver in the league the year he put up almost 1500 yards? Or even the second best since Steve Smith put up more yards?

No, because he wasn't. He had a stellar year, but it didn't make him the best (or second best) in the league.

FWIW, I would take Steve Smith in a heartbeat over Miles Austin

I don't see Austin as that dominant type of receiver that can dictate the flow of a game. Andre Johnson is clearly the better and more complete package. Austin had a nice season, but I like what the Cowboys are doing at WR and not throwing all of their eggs into one basket.

blah blah blah im not going to give a Cowboy credit, blah blah blah, even tho he had a great season for what was giving him, blah blah blah, Skins rule even at 4-12, we got a higher draft pick we're the winners. Blah blah blah, something something something, Redskins rule.

Cliff notes if anyone wanted them.

Clearly you either cannot comprehend simple language or are just being a hypocrite who chooses to use blanket statements which ironically apply to yourself rather than me. First of all, I am quite capable of giving the Cowboys credit. In fact, as proof, see the Dez Bryant Thread in the ATN discussing his signing. Second of all, you've never seen me parade around here saying that the Skins "rule" the NFL or anything along those lines. Am I cautiously optimistic about this upcoming season? Absolutely. Do I realistically think we are suddenly among the best in the NFL? Absolutely not. Continue defending the star in a way that makes you come across as an uneducated fan who is too biased to see the facts.

I don't see Austin as that dominant type of receiver that can dictate the flow of a game. Andre Johnson is clearly the better and more complete package. Austin had a nice season, but I like what the Cowboys are doing at WR and not throwing all of their eggs into one basket.

Austin definitely had a nice season, there is no disputing that. And I agree with your implication that the Cowboys have more options on offense than just Austin (see my earlier post in this same thread where I mentioned Witten). And I FULLY agree with your statement that Andre is clearly the better and more complete package. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about football.

miles started what? 12 games?

he may not be the best wr, but he had BY FAR the best year.

BY FAR? How was his season BY FAR better than Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, or Marques Colston's?

BY FAR? How was his season BY FAR better than Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, or Marques Colston's?

But, but, but, there are very complex statistical procedures that can be used to show that in very specific instances Miles Austin had some numbers that were a little higher than everyone elses. He HAS to be the best.

Exactly BBJ. To say that Austin FLUKE season was by far the best 2009 WR performance is nothing short of pure idiocy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving

The homerism for the ****ing pukes makes my stomach turn. :puke:

I don't like that you're making me do this, but I'll give this a try:

1) He trailed only AJ and Welker in yards (despite starting only 12 games).

2) He trailed only DeSean, VJax, and Jennings in yards per catch (of WRs who had 60+ catches).

3) Only Moss and Fitz had more receiving TDs among WRs (Roddy White had the same number).

That's just from a brief look at the numbers. Keep in mind, all but 5 catches/81 yards/1 TD were accumulated starting in week 5. So, since he became a starter, his average game was:

6.3 catches for 103.25 yards and 0.83 TDs

That's very, very impressive even if you have that ugly star on your helmet. Give the guy his due, he had a great season. I do believe things will be tougher for him in 2010, but there's no sense in trying to re-write history and pretend he didn't tear up the league from October-January last year.

Two big receiving games doesn't make you the best WR in football. ESPN loves to promote the Cowgirls as the best in the business and every year they pick them to win the Super Bowl or Romo sits to pee to have a career year. But at the end of the year they always disappoint. So Miles Austin will have a mediocre year because ESPN picked them. It is like the kiss of death.

People sometimes say ridiculous things just for the sake of saying ridiculous things. Even so, such an outlandish claim transcends the threshold between blind homerism and pure idiocy.

To play devil's advocate, how do you respond to my post above showing how he was near the top in 3 important categories and his per-game averages which were better than AJ's?

To play devil's advocate, how do you respond to my post above showing how he was near the top in 3 important categories and his per-game averages which were better than AJ's?

The key here is near the top . . . Not THE top.

Again, statistically he had a fantastic season, and therefore deserves some of the praise that he has been getting. But come on.

When youread the article, he never even comes out with any objective evidence to show that AJ (or Austin) is the best in the NFL...he just compared the two to each other after saying something to the effect of "we can all agree that AJ is the best in the NFL"

Now, AJ is exceptionally good, but with as hell-bent on metrics as he and the article are, one would think he could compare Austin, AJ, Randy Moss, Fitzgerald, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall to each other to get a good subject field and find out who the "best" is in the NFL.

Wow, can't believe I missed this one.

This must be the single dumbest report ESPN has EVER put out. There is absolutely no argument that Austin is better than Johnson at this point, NONE. He had A great season, not two or three leading the league in several categories. Austin is good, he's not AJ good, not at this point.

Archived