Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Miles Austin has surpassed Andre Johnson as best WR in NFL

MattFancy

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread, I will just continue this one and repeat my thoughts for emphasis and hilarity.

KC Joyner has lost any creditability he has ever had with me. How in the world can you even think that Miles Austin is better than Andre Johnson??

I am watching the Texans/Cowboys game and Andre Johnson is just looking so good. I know that this is only pre-season, but dude is a beast. Easily the best WR in the league. Only person that is even remotely close is Brandon Marshall.

For those who missed it or didn't read the article, or missed it earlier in the commentary, the point was Austin outplayed Johnson last year.

I don't think Austin is better either but the fact is for the last 12 games of 2009 he was the best WR in the NFL, and it didn't matter who he was covered by.

For those who missed it or didn't read the article, or missed it earlier in the commentary, the point was Austin outplayed Johnson last year.

I don't think Austin is better either but the fact is for the last 12 games of 2009 he was the best WR in the NFL, and it didn't matter who he was covered by.

Your confusing stats with actual talent. Go take a poll and find out how many people would want Austin or Johnson on their team? And, I am not talking fantasy football, but real football.

Let's make a call. If the pukes offense sucks this season as bad as their preseason has displayed, and Austin has a bad year statistically, will you then say he sucks and many receivers all of a sudden are better than him?

Maybe you missed the title of the article:

"Miles Austin has seized the WR crown"

And maybe you missed this sentence as well:

"The real competition for Johnson as the NFL's premier wideout comes from within the state in which he plays pro football."

Neither of these "conclusions" are anchored solely in the 2009 season. If they were, they would have been written differently:

"Miles Austin seized the WR crown for 2009"

"The real competition for Johnson as the NFL's premier wideout in 2009 came within the state in which he played pro football."

Also notice how it is never mentioned in the article that we'll need to see if Austin can repeat his 2009 performance to truly be considered a "contender" for the NFL's premiere WR crown. In fact, it says the following:

"Many might not consider Miles Austin to be an elite wideout yet..."

Notice how he doesn't say HE doesn't consider Austin to be an elite WR yet...so it's fair to assume that he's not one of the "many", especially since he goes on to make a case as to why Austin should be considered as such.

Couple that in with the other stuff I quoted, and it's valid to say that Joyner is trying to make an argument that Austin HAS passed up Johnson as the best WR in the NFL...and just a little speculation can cause you to come up with a few reasons why he would:

1) To generate traffic to his articles, and...

2) To hop on board the Austin bandwagon during the Cowboys' perceived Super Bowl year in order to give his metrics more validity. This way, he gets to say "I called it!" on Austin should Austin put together another year like last year.

miles austin wont even hit 1200 yards this year. last year was a one hit wonder for that guy, especially with dez bryant showing up and roy williams having a huge chip on his shoulder to prove he doesnt suck.

austin isnt even the same league. again, cowboys homerism at its finest.

Again, I find myself agreeing with BLC lol...what the hell.

Archived