Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Miles Austin has surpassed Andre Johnson as best WR in NFL

MattFancy

The key here is near the top . . . Not THE top.

Again, statistically he had a fantastic season, and therefore deserves some of the praise that he has been getting. But come on.

But the other key (if you looked closely) is that he's closer to the top in all 3 categories than anyone else.

So, he's 3rd in yards, 4th in YPC, and 3rd in TDs while no other single player is above him in any of those statistics. You could make the argument that, because of that, he was the best WR last year...or at least had the best statistical season.

It's like if a defense is ranked 3rd against the rush, 2nd against the pass, and 4th in scoring...odds are, they are going to be the #1 OVERALL defense (assuming that another team isn't higher in all 3 categories).

To play devil's advocate, how do you respond to my post above showing how he was near the top in 3 important categories and his per-game averages which were better than AJ's?
Roy Williams had a monster 2006 season. In 2007, Braylon Edwards had an even better year than Austin. Lance Moore only started six games in 2008, yet he had almost a 1000 receiving yards and 10 TD's. It's insane to call Miles Austin the best WR in the NFL off of one good year. Even Cowboys fans wouldn't make that claim.

But the other key (if you looked closely) is that he's closer to the top in all 3 categories than anyone else.

So, he's 3rd in yards, 4th in YPC, and 3rd in TDs while no other single player is above him in any of those statistics. You could make the argument that, because of that, he was the best WR last year...or at least had the best statistical season.

It's like if a defense is ranked 3rd against the rush, 2nd against the pass, and 4th in scoring...odds are, they are going to be the #1 OVERALL defense (assuming that another team isn't higher in all 3 categories).

Right but it still doesn't make him BY FAR the best WR like was stated in here earlier. Yes he had a very good season, but one season doesn't make you elite or the best. Sydney Rice had a really good season last year too and no one is talking about him.

Right but it still doesn't make him BY FAR the best WR like was stated in here earlier. Yes he had a very good season, but one season doesn't make you elite or the best. Sydney Rice had a really good season last year too and no one is talking about him.

Here's the part you quoted:

The real competition for Johnson as the NFL's premier wideout comes from within the state in which he plays pro football. Many might not consider Miles Austin to be an elite wideout yet, but he actually had a better set of metrics than any of the three other aforementioned contenders this past season.

Simply put, as great as Johnson is, in 2009 he not only wasn't the best wide receiver in the NFL, but wasn't even the best wide receiver in Texas. That honor belonged to Austin.

I don't see any reference to "by far" at all. Just that, to the surprise of even the author who crunched the numbers, Austin had a better set of metrics than any of the other WRs that are usually considered the class of the league. And, he's even conceding that this just deals with 2009.

....It's insane to call Miles Austin the best WR in the NFL off of one good year. Even Cowboys fans wouldn't make that claim.

I agree with your thoughts, too bad we have the Cowboy fan exceptions here trying very hard to convince themselves that Austin is now better than Jerry Rice or any WR who's ever played football. He had a great season......ONE great season.

miles started what? 12 games?

he may not be the best wr, but he had BY FAR the best year.

I don't see any reference to "by far" at all. Just that, to the surprise of even the author who crunched the numbers, Austin had a better set of metrics than any of the other WRs that are usually considered the class of the league. And, he's even conceding that this just deals with 2009.

That's what I was talking about when I said someone posted earlier.

Yes he had a good year, but he didn't have BY FAR the best year. Alot of WRs put up some great numbers last season, not just Miles Austin. I don't think most even consider Austin a Top 5 WR and he's probably a borderline Top 10 guy. So the arguement that he has surpassed Andre Johnson is a joke.

BY FAR? How was his season BY FAR better than Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, or Marques Colston's?

he was posting 2007 randy moss numbers.

Roy Williams had a monster 2006 season. In 2007, Braylon Edwards had an even better year than Austin. Lance Moore only started six games in 2008, yet he had almost a 1000 receiving yards and 10 TD's. It's insane to call Miles Austin the best WR in the NFL off of one good year. Even Cowboys fans wouldn't make that claim.

the only recent year that was better was randy moss in 2007. braylon edwards year was only SLIGHTLY better because he started FOUR more games.

lance moore was on the field MUCH longer than miles austin was. before miles started he hardly ever saw the field. moore wasn't technically a starter(#1 or #2), but he was on the field for most plays.

he was posting 2007 randy moss numbers.

the only recent year that was better was randy moss in 2007. braylon edwards year was only SLIGHTLY better because he started FOUR more games.

If you're going by YPC, the number of games doesn't really matter, it's an average.

LOL yeah because he would've have to have almost 3 TDs a game in those games to get to 20.

i edited it to 16+. you're quick to respond. still reamins he had by far the best year. and those metrics prove it in ways other than just yards per game or touchdowns. he took out good cb's, not just the trash.

i edited it to 16+. you're quick to respond.

That's because 20+ was outrageous.

And you're going on if he averaged those numbers for the whole season. Which means nothing. Say McNabb throws 12 TDs his first 5 games. That doesn't mean he'll throw 38TDs for the season.

That's what I was talking about when I said someone posted earlier.

Yes he had a good year, but he didn't have BY FAR the best year. Alot of WRs put up some great numbers last season, not just Miles Austin. I don't think most even consider Austin a Top 5 WR and he's probably a borderline Top 10 guy. So the arguement that he has surpassed Andre Johnson is a joke.

Well, read my points. Neither the author of the article (nor I) have ever said he's surpassed Andre Johnson. In 2009 he had a better statistical season. Not by far, but objectively he did. Will he replicate that production this year? I have no clue and I'm a little skeptical. However, why are so many Redskin fans trying to steer down the futile road of re-writing history? He did what he did. When you take the important WR stats and look at them all together it's fair to say that Miles Austin outperformed the other WRs (who admittedly all had good years).

Well, read my points. Neither the author of the article (nor I) have ever said he's surpassed Andre Johnson. In 2009 he had a better statistical season. Not by far, but objectively he did. Will he replicate that production this year? I have no clue and I'm a little skeptical. However, why are so many Redskin fans trying to steer down the futile road of re-writing history? He did what he did. When you take the important WR stats and look at them all together it's fair to say that Miles Austin outperformed the other WRs (who admittedly all had good years).

The title of the article is "Miles Austin has surpassed Andre Johnson as best WR in NFL". So he obviously thinks that Austin is better than Johnson.

And like I said, Austin had a very good season, but let's see him do it consistently and not just one year. Plenty of athletes can have one great season, but its the great players who consistently have great seasons. So to say he's passed Andre Johnson as the best in the NFL is just crazy.

Well, read my points. Neither the author of the article (nor I) have ever said he's surpassed Andre Johnson.

Simply put, as great as Johnson is, in 2009 he not only wasn't the best wide receiver in the NFL, but wasn't even the best wide receiver in Texas. That honor belonged to Austin.

Hitman and MattFancy, that specifically states that IN 2009 Miles Austin was better than Andre Johnson. No where in the text of the article does the author (who, from what I recall about journalism, is not responsible for headlines) contend that Austin is the better player MOVING FORWARD.

doncherry, I agree. Johnson is the better bet moving forward, but by some statistical measures/metrics he was outdone by Austin last year.

I'm not sure what I'm saying that's so controversial here...is it just because he's a Cowboy?

Archived