Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buchanan: Bias and bigotry in academia

Beans

As Nieli puts it, "Being Hispanic conferred an admissions boost over being white ... equivalent to 130 SAT points (out of 1,600), while being black rather than white conferred a 310-point SAT advantage. Asians, however, suffered an admissions penalty compared to whites equivalent to 140 SAT points."

"To have the same chance of gaining admission as a black student with a SAT score of 1100, a Hispanic student otherwise equally matched in background characteristics would have to have 1230, a white student a 1410, and an Asian student a 1550."

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=181357

:yikes: 310 points is an awful lot. I know, I know, it's WND, but I saw it linked on Drudge. How can we verify Nieli's claim?

This might have something to do with it.

SAT scores show disparities by race, gender, family income

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-08-25-SAT-scores_N.htm

The differences in total SAT scores by ethnicity was most extreme between Asian students (who had an average total score of 1623 out of a possible 2400) and black students (who averaged 1276, a four-point drop). Puerto Rican students averaged 1345. The national average was 1509. Top score is 800 in each of the three SAT sections.

Total scores also dropped two points for white students (who averaged 1581) and Mexican and Mexican American students (who averaged 1362). They increased two points for American Indian or Alaskan natives (average score 1448).

Hasn't this been common knowledge for decades? I'm pretty sure "academia" doesn't hide this. They rationalize/justify it many ways.

Yes,though it seems the dearth of low income whites in their halls would seem to confirm they are not interested in lifting up all,but rather some.

It's not as simple as black and white. As Henry said, there are serious validation conflicts when comparing races. The SAT has been proven to be significantly biased towards specific cultural groups. Sadly, it's still the best aptitude instrument we have at the moment, but it's not a very good one in several respects.

Yeah ... that's it ... elite schools have an admissions policy to admit lots of dumb colored people. :ols:

If you look close to home in Virginia at top schools like William & Mary you will see that it's much, much tougher for any kid from the northern Virginia suburbs of DC to get admitted than a white kid of any income from anywhere else in the state. So is this geographic discrimination?

If they didn't apply such admissions standards the bulk of the in-state students would be from Fairfax and Loudoun counties because the schools are better. While that's very tough if you happen not to be top of your class in your Loudoun or Farifax school, it means that the kids from NoVA who do attend W&M don't find themselves in an extension of their old high schools.

I think its funny that Asians face a tougher battle than whites to get competitive scores and yet you don't here them complaining about **** because Asians just tend to get on with it. If you tell them that they have to reach a certain level, they do whatever they can to reach that level, regardless of circumstances. Other people should take note.

I think its funny that Asians face a tougher battle than whites to get competitive scores and yet you don't here them complaining about **** because Asians just tend to get on with it. If you tell them that they have to reach a certain level, they do whatever they can to reach that level, regardless of circumstances. Other people should take note.

Yes, ALL people, of ALL races should take note of that;)

Hasn't this been common knowledge for decades? I'm pretty sure "academia" doesn't hide this. They rationalize/justify it many ways.

I think it's common knowledge that it occurs, but I don't know that we knew the exact extent. At least I didn't.

"To have the same chance of gaining admission as a black student with a SAT score of 1100, a Hispanic student otherwise equally matched in background characteristics would have to have 1230, a white student a 1410, and an Asian student a 1550."
Out of 1600, this is a ridiculous advantage. A score of 1100 is just over the national average, which is about 500 per section so a score of 1000. However, for an Asian student to have the same chance of admission, they would need a 1550. Out of 1600, a 1550 is nearly perfect, and very few people score that high.

Glad I'm done with college admissions. They were rough this year. Very few people at my school got admitted to the University of Maryland, despite being in state. I got in, but wish I would have got some sort of scholarship. I have over a year's worth of credit going in from AP tests. Oh well...

It's not as simple as black and white. As Henry said, there are serious validation conflicts when comparing races. The SAT has been proven to be significantly biased towards specific cultural groups. Sadly, it's still the best aptitude instrument we have at the moment, but it's not a very good one in several respects.

Henry's stats don't actually prove or even really suggest any flaw in the SAT test.

Yes, exactly right. This point also shows that other minorities are not being done any real, long term favors when people constantly expect less of them and then give them a pat on the back.

well its the way world works now, if you are lesser than someone at anything , why would you try to get better when they can just lower the standards for you? rather than adress the problems faced by inner city schools and students its far easier to give up on them and give them lower standards.

Or, you could recognize that getting a score of 1100 when no one at your school gives a damn, your teachers don't have proper materials and you have to dodge bullets every day just to get to school is a pretty impressive achievement, possibly comparable to someone living in a far less stressful environment, going to a better school and taking SAT prep course getting a 1300.

Coraigh made a great point everyone full of righteous white man's rage conveniently ignored. I grew up in NOVA. It was FAR tougher for me to get into state schools than kids from rural Virginia. A kid from, say, Smyth County with my grades and SAT scores would have been a shoo-in at UVA, and they wouldn't even look at me. Hell, I didn't even bother applying. Who should I be complaining to?

Or, you could recognize that getting a score of 1100 when no one at your school gives a damn, your teachers don't have proper materials and you have to dodge bullets every day just to get to school is a pretty impressive achievement, possibly comparable to someone living in a far less stressful environment, going to a better school and taking SAT prep course getting a 1300.

Coraigh made a great point everyone full of righteous white man's rage conveniently ignored. I grew up in NOVA. It was FAR tougher for me to get into state schools than kids from rural Virginia. A kid from, say, Smyth County with my grades and SAT scores would have been a shoo-in at UVA, and they wouldn't even look at me. Hell, I didn't even bother applying. Who should I be complaining to?

LMAO Dude, you are preaching to the choir, HAVE YOU SEEN THE SCHOOLS ON RESERVES? I went to res schools until I was in junior high and my family sent me to a private boarding school, I attended a res high school for less than 2 weeks because frankly it was friggin atrocious.

I was an emancipated minor and attended high school at an inner city high school in edmonton, yet another "low succsess" school, I still managed to get done, get into uni and graduate, its all about the individual, if you are willing to bust ass you can basically achieve whatever you need to.

I was offended at U of A when I was told that they would lower my entrance requirement because I was metis and played sports, I ended up taking a year of college to make sure everything met the requirements.

How come you never really hear or see Asians complaining about college admissions when statistically they have a harder path to top universities than White students?
Because Asians haven't learned the American way of whining about all of your problems yet? :whoknows:
So why should a white kid from that kind of district have a harder time getting into an Ivy than a black kid from McLean?
Because the black kid from McLean has two parents who went to an Ivy League school? Rich kids area always going to get advantages, regardless of their skin color.

LMAO Dude, you are preaching to the choir, HAVE YOU SEEN THE SCHOOLS ON RESERVES? I went to res schools until I was in junior high and my family sent me to a private boarding school, I attended a res high school for less than 2 weeks because frankly it was friggin atrocious.

I was an emancipated minor and attended high school at an inner city high school in edmonton, yet another "low succsess" school, I still managed to get done, get into uni and graduate, its all about the individual, if you are willing to bust ass you can basically achieve whatever you need to.

I was offended at U of A when I was told that they would lower my entrance requirement because I was metis and played sports, I ended up taking a year of college to make sure everything met the requirements.

Thank you.

Your personal success story has inspired me to get off the streets and to contact my local adult education center where I can get the training I need to advance in any of the following exciting fields:

Whiffleball bat testing

Felchblasting

Lung scraping

Monkey tattoo artistry

Mangled bone shard plunging

Tantric calligraphy

Goth zydeco musician

Glenn Beck lookalike-ing

Toad fart bottling

And many more.

It's all a phone call away, but only if I act now!

Because Asians haven't learned the American way of whining about all of your problems yet? :whoknows:

Damn immigrants refusing to integrate and assimilate. :mad:

Because the black kid from McLean has two parents who went to an Ivy League school? Rich kids area always going to get advantages, regardless of their skin color.

I wonder if any of the low admission rate for poor whites to Ivy League schools is tied to pressures from the alumni sending their kids there. And the desire for fund raising from the alumni base, given that it's a private school and all. Give me a Wall Street financier or lawyer named Hubert Poshington V to nag for contributions rather than some farmer or son of a coal miner.

Yeah, fraking white people, wanting a fair shake and all. Asians should be pissed about this. They are apparently the only socially acceptable race other than white to stereotype.

Isn't it disturbing that Balcks can get into the Ivy League schools with just average SAT scores? Why are we sending average students to the best schools? To add insult, they are also more than likely also recieving special grants because they are a minority.

I was bussed to a predominantly black high school (racial quotas), so according to others logic, I had just as many hurdles to overcome attending a school with a "hostile and stunted" learning enviroment. Just some food for thought.

Archived