Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

True or False: Mike and Bruce want to win now AND build for the future

SMOSS89

TRUE

I've read many posts on here saying that we are in 'win now' mode because of the moves we've made. Yes, that is correct. However, the Redskins have not put themselves in a situation (much like earlier offseasons) where failure to produce will cost them dearly.

The Skins offseason plan for 2010 was clearly a result of the current free agent market as it related to the uncapped year and the resulting RFA/UFA availability. The front office knew they had to get older, more experienced vets NOW because they wanted to be competetive in 2010. Like Mike Shanahan and Bruce always say, you gotta do something everyday to make your team better. Clearly the contracts that have been offered to free agency were conservative because of the need get value, AND because of the upcoming CBA.

As for the draft picks, this has been debated a lot the last several months but a 2010 2nd, 2011 3rd and 2011 4th is fair value for quality QB play for potentially 2-4 seasons, and quality RT play for potentially 4-5 seasons. There has yet to be a panic move. Obviously one can compare the number of picks dealt to those given in previous offseasons. I'd tend to shy away from those comparisons as it is quite clear those deals were just horrendous.

My point being that although we have made 'win now' moves in 2010, the 2011 and seasons beyond have not really been compromised. If anything, once the CBA is in order and we have potentially paid McNabb and Brown, we could be in position to be even more aggressive in free agency and the draft next year.

July is the worst month in football. Ugh.

TRUE

I've read many posts on here saying that we are in 'win now' mode because of the moves we've made. Yes, that is correct. However, the Redskins have not put themselves in a situation (much like earlier offseasons) where failure to produce will cost them dearly.

If anything, once the CBA is in order and we have potentially paid McNabb and Brown, we could be in position to be even more aggressive in free agency and the draft next year.

July is the worst month in football. Ugh.

True, though maybe hard for some to believe without seeing results. The posters who feel it is "win now" may go ballistic when all does not go well this year. I do think they did the most that they could considering the position they were in. I like the way the coaches are rounding out for the long run and the short run. I do questio and wonder about the defensive side, both Haslett and the switch need to produce this year otherwise Shanny maybe pushed to change over there again.

False. I think it isn't necessarily win now, but setting up the chess board. Even more, I think this year more than any other I can recall almost every player is on the bubble. All these one year contracts. Everyone has to prove themselves this year. Winning would be great, but I think it really is about establishing versus winning now. This year, is more about setting up the team in the near future than in the present.

One of the major keys in building a team that becomes a dynasty is to be ready when the opportunity arises. That is, when the current dynasties are ebbing or reloading, you MUST have the team ready that can beat them or you have just wasted a couple of years. You can rely on luck that when you finally build a solid team through the draft that the ebbing teams are those teams you need to be ebbing (in our case, the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants) but then you are likely to have to rebuild every 2-4 years with nothing to show. The strategy that will most likely work is judicious use of the FA and trade market supported by good drafting. Once your good, now concentrate on the draft and don't panic.

False. I think it isn't necessarily win now, but setting up the chess board. Even more, I think this year more than any other I can recall almost every player is on the bubble. All these one year contracts. Everyone has to prove themselves this year. Winning would be great, but I think it really is about establishing versus winning now. This year, is more about setting up the team in the near future than in the present.
Now that's something I've really not noticed, thanks for bringing it up. If a lot of old guys we brought in are short-term deals, (as opposed to Snyderatto's MO of guaranteeing money years past their playing ability), then that bodes well for a plan to build a strong base now, then start building with youth next year.

That's the difference. A massive amount of one year contracts, including the guys we've tendered. That means next offseason may just possibly bring even more change than this one, as much as that boggles the mind!

We can choose to re-sign or let go of almost every single new player we acquired this offseason along with the likes of Doughty, Mcintosh, Rogers, Portis and many more others without any salary cap repercussions. Furthermore, the ball will be in our court considering there will be a lot more free agents on the market as well as what many claim to be a deep draft next year, so the negative aspect of having a lot of players able to freely move is minimized!

I really like the position we're in, honestly.

Win now is better than win never. Our team was dysfunctional, disenfranchised, and unmotivated (or perhaps too medium). The Shanny's are in the process of rebuilding the team from the ground up - installing incentives, motivation and the discipline to reshape the mentality of this team. We NEEDED a leader on the field that could inspire the team. We NEEDED the offseason discipline. We NEED to win, we need to believe that we can win. We need to HATE losing.

If we took a long term/rebuilding approach, why would the players give it their all next year? It would be a waste of effort. It was crucial that we turn this boat around NOW. Clearly the offense needed retooling, but why the D? Because it was outdated. We need the flexibility of being able to alternate depending on if we expect a pass our play. 3-4, 4-3 whatever. As long as nobody knows what we're going to do or can game plan against us. We were too PREDICTABLE, last year.

Skins knew they had to upgrade at QB.

Once McG fell into their lap ... Skins became competitive ... instantly.

All the other moves are tweaking.

There is no such thing as planning to win now or build for the future.

Either you have a team capable of making the playoffs ... or you suck.

I don't think B/M/K want suck ... ever.

Well said, I couldn't say it any better myself. The team has improved in key areas and have talent to win now and are positioning themselves for the future as well. I love the fact that the players have to clearly prove themselves and have the confidence that our front office will get rid of those players who don't, and the ones who do prove themeselves will get taken care of and rewarded.

Burgold, that sounds like a false positive to me. So is it just the thread question that is confusing?

Guest Spearfeather

True. I think the move for McNabb shows they want to win now, and so far I don't think they have made any moves that indicate they want to sacrifice the future in exchange for winning now.

True. I think the move for McNabb shows they want to win now, and so far I don't think they have made any moves that indicate they want to sacrifice the future in exchange for winning now.

Hmmm lets see.

We don't have all of our draft picks next year.

Just looking at next years needs.

We could use a young QB in the works (spare the Colt talk).

We could use a young running back in the system.

We could use at least one new offensive lineman or 2 in the system.

We have major question marks at receiver. Who knows.

We could use a defensive lineman or 2.

We could use a linebacker or 2.

We could use a corner or 2.

We could use a speedster or 2 on special teams.

We have the oldest roster in the league.

They traded next years picks for now.

Yep, no sign that they want to sacrifice the future. :beatdeadhorse:

I like what Bruce & Shanny have done, they're in a "win now" mode but that hasn't meant mortgaging the future either.

I said this in another thread, with Shanny turning 58 next month the right philosophy in all of this would not have been to rebuild. Shanny will probably be here for four years max before his son takes over, if we're forced to rebuild at that point then sobeit but right now should be win now. And if you look at the roster, yes we have the oldest team in the league but this team isn't screwed for the future. We knew we needed to upgrade the QB position because JC didn't get the job done, and McNabb was the best available QB out there to get.

There are several building blocks here to work with. Let's break down the roster:

QB - McNabb is 34 and may only have a few years left, but I'm sure that Bruce & Shanny will have a plan to get a QB of the future at some point in the next few years.

RB - older players, but RB's aren't hard to find so this situation isn't setting us back. Heck two of the mainstays that we released, Rock & Betts, were over 30 anyway.

TE - both Sleepy & CC are under 30

WR - we're almost too young at this position with Comb & DT, if they pan out we're set for the future, if not WR's aren't hard to find.

OL - just drafted a stud LT, our RT is 29, and even though Rabach & the guards are older, centers & guards aren't hard to find.

DL - major building block in Rak, and most of the other solid players on the DL are under 30.

LB - Rocky is young, Fletch will need to be replaced at some point but there's time to do that.

DB - all young

So even though we're in "win now" mode, the age of the roster in key positions hasn't been compromised. And name one team in the last 15-20 years who won a Super Bowl after rebuilding. The Colts for example were rebuilding in 1998 and it took them 8 years to win a SB. The best philosophy to have in the NFL these days is to re-load, not rebuild.

So even though we're in "win now" mode, the age of the roster in key positions hasn't been compromised. And name one team in the last 15-20 years who won a Super Bowl after rebuilding. The Colts for example were rebuilding in 1998 and it took them 8 years to win a SB. The best philosophy to have in the NFL these days is to re-load, not rebuild.

So we have Orakpo, and a young left tackle. :ols:

Got it.

Oh and the Colts have possibly the greatest QB of all time.

I mean I am hopeful of Shanny and company, but lets not miss the forest for the trees.

I'm pretty sure you mean "Are they making moves to win now and in the future, or just in the near present?" or something like that. I'm sure they WANT to win every game.

There are some moves that I like, and some that I'm suspicious of. Every one has to remember that because of the CBA issues there weren't as many young, quality FA's available.

McNabb was a shock, and he's older but hopefully the line can keep him clean.

Williams over Okung will be something to be studied in the coming years.

Signing LJ and Parker is an interesting move, not expecting Parker to make the team but hopefully LJ has some left in the tank.

Not a big fan of Haslett, but really anything is better than what Blechh did last year.

I'm really excited about Kyle Shannahan, I may actually be more excited about him than Mike coming to DC.

Artis Hicks and Jamaal Brown are both good signings, losing BMW is a big blow and will be a challenge for our OL.

WRs haven't really been addressed, Furry actually is a pretty decent WR and Keenen McCardell could be a good coach but we're still thin at that position.

Moving to the 3-4 will be a challenge, I hope we're not going to a full time 3-4 because I just don't see us having the personnel to do it.

Glad we brought Rocky back, as well as Carlos.

Again, its a mixed bag but I'm sure as hell glad we have these guys instead of Vinny/Zorn.

Great responses! We must win now while better positioning ourselves to win later. If you're not trying to win now then.. wtf? :whoknows:

False. Mike wants to win now, and he will worry about the future later. Since he was fired for making lousy personnel decisions, don't hold your breath.

This guy's a bigger buzzkill than Buzz Killington.

:silly:

Guest Spearfeather
Hmmm lets see.

We don't have all of our draft picks next year.

Just looking at next years needs.

We could use a young QB in the works (spare the Colt talk).

We could use a young running back in the system.

We could use at least one new offensive lineman or 2 in the system.

We have major question marks at receiver. Who knows.

We could use a defensive lineman or 2.

We could use a linebacker or 2.

We could use a corner or 2.

We could use a speedster or 2 on special teams.

We have the oldest roster in the league.

They traded next years picks for now.

Yep, no sign that they want to sacrifice the future. :beatdeadhorse:

Tired of Hearing this.. you can't win a SB now with what we have AND build imo.. you HAVE to make a big trade now and rely on making GREAT decisions with the picks that you have and the free agents that are going to be out there.

Guest Spearfeather

Chip, some of the things you listed are definately true and others are definately up for debate. We will find out how much, or how many of those on your list we'll need after this year. There is plenty of competition at many of those positions.

Archived