Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Subjects you loathed in school

ixcuincle

I can't STAND biology/chem... I just have this thing against the inner workings of beings... It gives me the chills... If the teacher is talking about anatomy I can't help but squirm in my seat... It's really awkward in a class setting...

In college, I was decent at math. Statistics was my favorite math course. I didn't like calculus, but about halfway through the semester I started to understand it and I did well.

Even though I was good at math, I didn't like taking Physics in high school. Now, that stuff is interesting and I'm sure I'd do much better as I'm not just more interested, but a better student.

However, most boring and painful classes: economics and accounting (accounting more so).

I liked science classes, but biology was the exception. I disliked that subject even more than my humanities courses. Chemistry at least involved quantifcation and problem solving.

The same went for geoscience. Taught as a senior in Fairfax County public schools when I went and I believe still is.

I hated chemistry in high school.

Then I minored in it in undergrad. Go figure.

In undergrad., I hated this basic computer programming class. Same with grad. school, I was beyond lost in a statistical software programming class. Like. Dumbest. Person. In. Class. I still have nightmares about it. My TA's have nightmares about dealing with me.

Biochemistry. They scheduled that class at 8 am. What sadistic **** schedules that at 8 am?

In high school it was Spanish; I probably hated that the most because the teacher sucked.

Where I did my undergrad, they started classes for Tues/Thurs at 7:45. I had most of my upper-level Chem classes then.

In high school:

AP Physics. With the exception of our egg-drop parachute competition.

AP Calculus. Enough said.

History. I'm fascinated by history, but don't give two ****s about memorizing random facts, dates, and people from Ancient Mesopotamia and the like.

In college and grad school:

Economics. My micro homework seriously made me cry a couple times, but I put in a ton of extra time and got an A. I didn't work so hard for macro, but somehow still managed an A.

US Intelligence. An upper level class which I stupidly took my 2nd year of college. It sucks bc if I took the class now, I'd probably love it. At the time though I was in way over my head. Thankfully I took an Int'l Terrorism class from the same prof the next year and crushed it.

I loved English and History, especially English. The great thing about dissecting novels was that you couldn't really be wrong, so long as you believed in your opinion and could latch onto something random to back it up.

You can't get away with that as much in Math and Science, when there are often concrete answers. For those subjects, I was great until it got really complex. I was fine in Math through Algebra 2, but Trig was a *****. I was fine in Geology and Biology, but Chemistry and Physics killed me. I also didn't care for foreign languages much.

I majored in business in college, and guess what, Economics and Corporate Finance require Calculus, which I had never taken in high school. **** me running. But I did great in the Marketing/Management classes.

In my MBA program, I still hated Advanced Corporate Finance but managed a C. Hell, I even got an A in Economics. But Zoony is right...I've worked much, much harder at these classes than I ever did at anything in high school, and it shows.

History. I'm fascinated by history, but don't give two ****s about memorizing random facts, dates, and people from Ancient Mesopotamia and the like.

That's a real problem with education in general... ESPECIALLY in the information age, where any information you could ever need is seconds away no matter where you are.

This idea that rote memorization is somehow learning. It's probably the single biggest problem I have with education in general. It's a crutch for lazy teachers.

There isn't really anything that needs to be memorized anymore in terms of learning. Formulas can be found online, yet should be "memorized" for math tests. Same with physics formulas. You can access them easily online, and then you know how to plug the numbers in to get the result.

I don't remember disliking anything in high school. I'm sure I disliked a course or two, but not because of the subject matter.

In college, I hated sociology and psychology. Both were just plain stupid.

The most challenging course I ever took was Physical Chemistry. You needed a minor in Greek just to reproduce the formulae. Of course every Greek letter represented the most esoteric chemical property: atomic radius, electronegativity, etc. Somehow I managed a C+.

I loved Analytical and Organic Chemistry though.

Archived