Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Are The Odds of Haynesworth Helping Redskins in 2010?

bulldog

Let's assume that Albert reports to camp in July and the Redskins decide not to trade him or give him his release.

What are the odds that he makes a real difference to the bottom line record of the team in 2010?

My guess now is less than 50%.

1. He doesn't know the defense. Not that the NFL is littered with defensive linemen about to apply for PhD programs at Cal Tech. But Haynesworth knows nothing about the 3-4 which is obvious from his comments about it. All he knows is what the Titans ran for him in TN. He has no other experience to draw from. And this is assuming he WANTS to learn anything when/if he comes in. Given all of this what are we realistically looking at in terms of being a difference maker in the 3-4? Perhaps 6-8 weeks into the regular season, assuming he plays all the preseason games........?

2. By not participating in the offseason work, he is not in all likelihood going to be in football shape. He may be jogging or working out with a personal trainer doing bike work and stretching exercises, but that is not a substitute for an NFL program. I highly doubt his offseason routine is as strict as McNabb's is in Arizona or the one that Ray Lewis runs. Potentially not being in football shape greatly increases the risk of an early injury in camp or the preseason. Guys that hold out (which is essentially what Haynesworth is doing despite being under contract) often suffer lingering injuries that reduce their effectiveness during the season. How many times have we seen it? A guy holds out, ends up coming in and then goes down with a bad hamstring, calf or other injury that keeps him hobbled for weeks................

3. Following up on #1 and #2, poor conditioning and a lack of familiarity with the system are going to lead the DC to have to sub Haynesworth in and out for other players in a rotation at least for awhile until he can show the required consistency in the scheme. That means a lot more time guys like Golston, Carriker, Scott, etc. This then begs the question of whether a few plays a game where Haynesworth shows some ability is enough to put up with the headache? Given the team's schedule and the competitiveness of the NFC East, a slow start is going to be a killer. Does this team really have the luxury of those 8 weeks to make Albert all cozy and happy in his new 'suit' on the field? :)

So, again I think the odds of Haynesworth helping the bottom line, ie making a REAL and NOTICEABLE difference in the outcome of games and the number of wins earned in 2010, is less than 50%.

At best I look at Haynesworth as a guy that MIGHT make enough plays in Weeks 10-16 to make up for some of the mistakes and missed assignments in Weeks 1-8.

This bottom line assessment is why I think it is essential that AH not be on this club's roster come the opener in September. Whether it means trading him for a 2011 or 2012 draft pick that is lower than the coveted #1 or #2 the team was assumed to be looking for earlier, or whether a trade straight up for another player can be consumated.....

it may ultimately come down to his securing his release by repaying a portion of his bonus as Arrington and Coles did.

But he needs to be gone.

I thought there was a chance for this to work out when the time of the mandatory camps came around but his absence from them is a clear indication his 100% effort won't be in performing in Haslett's defense as a 3-4 tackle or end.

You make great points and I think if he is here and in shape or not (remember he was in awful shape last year) and got 4 sacks and helped RAK get his sacks off the edge...I say if he is still on the team there is a 70% chance he not only repeats last years numbers but improves upon them.... That being said I think there is only a 40% chance he is still on the team for the opener.

You make great points and I think if he is here and in shape or not (remember he was in awful shape last year) and got 4 sacks and helped RAK get his sacks off the edge...I say if he is still on the team there is a 70% chance he not only repeats last years numbers but improves upon them.... That being said I think there is only a 40% chance he is still on the team for the opener.

This has been proven now but there are still those who've not seen it or just want to ignore it... he DID NOT help Rak or Carter get sacks off the edge. The vast majority of their sacks came when he was not even on the field.

I think he helps the team. He's perfectly set for a 3-4 NT. He won't put up any number's, but he'll be helpful.

I think he helps the team. He's perfectly set for a 3-4 NT. He won't put up any number's, but he'll be helpful.

I say this not as a supporter or hater of the guy but even in a 4-3 the man is used to taking on double teams. Haynesworth was brought to D.C because even with 2 to beat he can dominate. I don't see him playing NT on every down. He will have his opportunities to play end or his normal 3 technique 4-3 tackle when the D plays a 4 man front. He will get his numbers he is just too good not to...now his attitude is what I'm concerned about.

This has been proven now but there are still those who've not seen it or just want to ignore it... he DID NOT help Rak or Carter get sacks off the edge. The vast majority of their sacks came when he was not even on the field.

So Haynesworth wasn't on the field for ANY of Carter (who I didn't even mention) or RAK's sacks? Oh never mind you contradicted yourself in your post..so I guess he did help them some...

So Haynesworth wasn't on the field for ANY of Carter (who I didn't even mention) or RAK's sacks? Oh never mind you contradicted yourself in your post..so I guess he did help them some...

You need to take some logic classes. How can you attribute the high number of sacks to fatboy when we were far more efficient at getting sacks without him on the field? Even when he was on the field for sacks, that doesn't mean he was responsible for those sacks. He was on the field for 30% of Carter and Rak's sacks. If you want to illogically assume that him being on the field resulted in 30% of their sacks, I will say that him not being on the field was the reason they got 70% of those sacks.

Fact: Carter and Orakpo had more sacks when Haynesworth was not on the field.

Fact: Opponents averaged fewer yards per carry in the games Haynesworth didn't play.

Let's assume for a minute that the Skins (like it or not), are stuck with him. This is a real possibility so as a coach, what do you do??

1: Evaluate his level of conditioning. Anticipating it's low, you keep him out of contact drills for the summer and work on weight, cardio and stamina.

2. Abreviate the play-book for him and concentrate on pass rush and short yardage situations only.

Maybe he doesn't make it onto the field right away but you gotta work to find situations, down and distance where you sub him in, just like any other scrub. Work him him into some semblance of football shape and give him very task specific situations to play in.

And hope to God you can find a trading partner before the deadline expires this year or next.

:helmet:

There are no trading partners for Albert Haynesworth.

How do you get rid of him, cut him?

Does Bruce Allen really have the cajones to walk into Snyder's office and tell him the $31M he just spent is wasted and they can't expect ANY return on that investment?

Really?

I agree he should be gone, but eventually Albert's agent has to sit this guy down and tell him his best opportunity to play what HE wants, he will have to suck it up and play redskins football for at least one year.

He signed the contract. He stood up and said he wanted to be a hall of famer. Hall of Famers are guys like Ray Lewis, who change schemes and dominate regardless.

Look at what Seymour did:ols: Guy played 34 his entire career in New England, gets shipped to Chokeland and is unblockable in the 4-3 scheme:ols::ols:

Albert is on thin ice with the rest of the league, and he has to know this after what his FORMER COACHES team came out and said in the media. My guess is he grows a brain between now and July 29th and comes to camp ready to shut up and kiss some ass.

The only way I think Haynesworth is not here is if he pony's up the $21 million . Thats it, thats the only way he is gone .

That said I think he could be a force in the 3-4 where ever he starts on the line, but he needs to get other voices in his ear, especially his agent who seems to be under the delusion that he could get another big score from his client in 12 months ..

The only way I think Haynesworth is not here is if he pony's up the $21 million . Thats it, thats the only way he is gone .

That said I think he could be a force in the 3-4 where ever he starts on the line, but he needs to get other voices in his ear, especially his agent who seems to be under the delusion that he could get another big score from his client in 12 months ..

That's not exactly true. Of coarse they said they would let him go to whatever team he wanted if he gave back the money, but he can't.

He is in so much trouble financially that he can't. I think the Redskins know this and are going to call his bluff and make him report and play. All that bonus and signing money that he got is currently in jeopardy. His ex is going to get some, his stripper baby's momma is going to get some, his lawyer is going to get a lot, his settlements are going to get some, and the guy who he disabled in the uninsured car accident is going to get the rest. HE'S BROKE!

I said it first...AH is going to be BROKE!!!!

That means he has to play and cannot negotiate his contract or afford to get cut at this point. I think you will see an all out turn about and the guy will shut up and play because he has no other choices now.

Baaaaam!!! Go MS and BA!!!

^^ Agreed if Haynesworth can still afford and listen to a financial advisor there is NO way he gives up any of the 21 Million for a trade/release. I chalk it up to Karma...what goes around comes around and Big Al will have to take the heat and report because as you said he will be BROKE if he doesn't. In the end our D will be better with him in the lineup or rotating through ..and he will behave or the fines will start rolling downhill on him and he can't afford that. HTTR.

^^ Agreed if Haynesworth can still afford and listen to a financial advisor there is NO way he gives up any of the 21 Million for a trade/release.

Unless of course he recoups what he pays back to us from the team he is traded to in a back to back agreement. Thats the way I think a trade or release would play out.

If Al reports I think he will play well in a 3-4. He will get banged up though and play about 12 games tops. When he is in the lineup though he will command double teams and we will be a much better defense with him in the lineup than without him. Not $100M better maybe, but better.

Unless of course he recoups what he pays back to us from the team he is traded to in a back to back agreement. Thats the way I think a trade or release would play out.

I really don't see any teams willing to do this. What team is there out there with the stability at coaching who a) would want Fat Al? And B) know for sure there wont be a coaching change in the near future? If there is a coaching change and Fat Al doesn't like the new hire, we have already seen nhow he reacts. What team is going to want to duplicate the risk of failing and embarrassment that we are going through right now?

Doesn't seem likely to me.

I really don't see any teams willing to do this. What team is there out there with the stability at coaching who a) would want Fat Al? And B) know for sure there wont be a coaching change in the near future? If there is a coaching change and Fat Al doesn't like the new hire, we have already seen nhow he reacts. What team is going to want to duplicate the risk of failing and embarrassment that we are going through right now?

Doesn't seem likely to me.

Not in a trade maybe but in a deal where we release him and they dont have to give up anything apart from a signing bonus its possible. Haynesworth is still one of the very best 3 tech DTs in the NFL and has some value.

On balance though I tend to agree with you that teams will be very wary of investing significant dollars let alone picks or a player for a guy who may or may not give you the effort you think you are paying for. I think Al will end up playing for us this year and playing pretty well.

Not in a trade maybe but in a deal where we release him and they dont have to give up anything apart from a signing bonus its possible. Haynesworth is still one of the very best 3 tech DTs in the NFL and has some value.

No, he really doesn't. Nobody wants anything to do with him. Snyderatto was the final horseman of the idiot GM apocalypse. There are no longer any front offices in the NFL moronic enough to give up anything of value for this guy.

No, he really doesn't. Nobody wants anything to do with him. Snyderatto was the final horseman of the idiot GM apocalypse. There are no longer any front offices in the NFL moronic enough to give up anything of value for this guy.

If we outright released him he would not be unemployed long. He might have to sign a deal with some escape clauses and heavy on incentives, but he would be in demand.

Archived