Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender

SonOfWashington

Toy Story 3 getting a 99% at Rotten Tomatoes. I'm not a big cartoon guy but that might be worth it. And Children of Men might be a top 10 movie for me. I love it so much.

Anyway, I don't care about the Last Airbender or M. Night, but this video is just LMAO great:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5J7inpYSoE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5J7inpYSoE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I loved the first Toy Story and since the 3rd one is getting so many positive reviews, I might just get it on Redbox.

Lol @ that video. That seems to be the general sentiment. This is going to go the way of the Eragon trilogy. :silly:

Are the people in the reelzchannel video mad because they pronounced the main character's name correctly, or because he got a new name altogether?

His name, Aang, is pronounced "Ang" in the cartoon, but in the movie they call him "Ong." So I think it's really an issue with the pronounciation.

His name, Aang, is pronounced "Ang" in the cartoon, but in the movie they call him or "Ong." So I think it's really an issue with the pronounciation.

It's funny how one group is calling the movie racist because there are too many white people, and another ****ing because the main character's name is pronounced as if he were an Asian guy, and not a white guy trying to pronounce an Asian guy's name.

I saw it this morning with my wife who is a fan of the show. The film has two problems: The kids can't act and the film has to condense so much plot in 100 minutes that it can be a joyless sprint.

The action and score were pretty good and it gets better in the second half. I bet the sequels will be much better now that the story has gained momentum.

OK so I saw it....

Went with my daughter for the at the local mall. The theater was about 80% full for an 11:45 am show. Which I thought was pretty respectable.

I equate the movie with another show I enjoyed many years ago. The never ending story. Only this show had 21 st centry special effects.

My daughter is 7, nearly 8 and she gave the show 11 out of 10 stars. I must say I enjoyed it too, although not sure I would have If it were just me and not my daughter there to share it with.

Given the turn out, I think M Night has another hit on his hands.

Among the primary off putting things for me was....

(1) The movie is definitely a kids movie. Not sure adults who can't get into the spirit of the cartoon would enjoy it.

(2) Just about every Indian actor I know was in this movie.... The cast from "Slum Dog Millionaire", "The Kite Runner", and that scientist from "Iron Man" one. Not to mention casting Asif Manvi from the daily show as a primary bad guy.... Don't think the kids picked up on it though.

Among the positive things..

(1) The story was pretty good.

(2) The special effects were top notch... No cheasy luck dragon here.

(3) I enjoyed all the Tie Chee. You could tell they really drilled the little kids who they caste in the movie in the forms. It was entertaining to watch them summon their powers.

(4) The message was pretty nice too.. balance, forgiveness, and self sacrifice. Very eastern philosophy in a wrapper for kids.

(5) Strong girl characters for my daughter.

It's funny how one group is calling the movie racist because there are too many white people, and another ****ing because the main character's name is pronounced as if he were an Asian guy, and not a white guy trying to pronounce an Asian guy's name.

I think it's odd to consider a mive racist because they didn't discriminate against actors based upon race.....

The story has four "races" which represent the four elements: fire, water, air, and earth. When they showed these "races" they didn't isolate the races based on actual races. They had asians, and blacks as air benders. They had whites and eskimo's and asians as the water benders.

It didn't really bother me that much... If there were any race which garnered the majority of the important roles in this movie, It was Indians.... Which was a little offputting because most of these Indian actors typically are character actors and this was outside of the characters we know them as. Like Asif Manvi from the daily show... But over all I enjoyed it.

I just think it's funny that movies that have huge stars in them (Bruce Willis, Bruce + Samuel L. Jackson, Paul Giamatti, Mark Wahlberg, etc.) can be defined as "low budget" by anybody, that's not just a shot at you. Sure the budget for the film itself may be low (special effects and all), but having a big name star, let alone more than 1, is going to skew the overall budget upward just a tad. Sure, it may be "low budget" for a Hollywood movie, but it's hardly like he was scraping by on $200k trying to do an entire movie on that amount.

Having a big name actor in your movie doesn't make it a non small budget movie. I think Titanic was about 200 million as the most expensive movie ever made until Avitar. Pretty sure M Night has never had a movie with 25% of that budget... perhaps until Airbender...

His movies are known fo thier writting, and derth of special effects.

It's just that the logic if "It's M. Night Shyamalan, so if you liked his first couple movies you should like the rest." is what got me to watch "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" because I love Indiana Jones and respect Lucas (mainly I still respected him because I avoided the Star Wars prequels, but whatever). I just can't buy the line that "His later movies don't suck, the critics just hate him" when sites like Yahoo Movies, rottentomatoes.com, and others give regular movie-goers the chance to opine on the films and they all say they're bad. Sure, you can argue that they're meant for a specific audience and not a broad-spectrum appeal, but if that's the case then there's no way he should have been let within 500 miles of this movie when it's so clearly out of his element. He's not a children's movie director, never has been.

He's not a director who uses special effects either. This is definitely a departure of some sorts for him...

As for all the critics and people who poh poh the movie.. I think it shows we are a nation of sheep looking to be lead.... I thought six sense was nice. A pleasent way to spend an afternoon... Didn't think it was amaizing or anything... which is about what I thought about his other movies....

No offense was intended to you, but I've seen others who are so over-the-top in support of the director of their choice that any criticism of him seems to be like blasphemy to them, and that whole "then go watch a Michael Bay movie" crack just seemed like such a "**** you, you don't get it" statement that I have to give a smartass response.

I've never mentioned Michael Bay, just special effects. Again, I don't think "not getting it" reflects anthing defficient. It's just not every movie is targeted at every age group. I have an advantage over you on "airbenders"... I have a seven year old who's eyes I could watch it with.

Saw it. It wasn't as bad as I feared, but the acting was horid (especially for the waterbending girl) and the lack of character development disappointing especially for an origin story.

I took my six year old nephew in it who got restless and yawned several times. He said he liked it at the end and wanted to pretend he had "bending" powers, so it wasn't a total flop, but man did they miss out on the potential of this movie. I'd say it was a minimum effort and went through the motions rather than enriching and deepening the story which a movie has the ability to do.

how many lousy movies in a row is it now for this director ?

If this movie is lousy that's at least 3 (Airbender, the Happening, Lady in the Water) and possibly four depending on how you feel about the Village.

Saw it. It wasn't as bad as I feared, but the acting was horid (especially for the waterbending girl) and the lack of character development disappointing especially for an origin story.

I took my six year old nephew in it who got restless and yawned several times. He said he liked it at the end and wanted to pretend he had "bending" powers, so it wasn't a total flop, but man did they miss out on the potential of this movie. I'd say it was a minimum effort and went through the motions rather than enriching and deepening the story which a movie has the ability to do.

That's very interesting. Shyamalan said that he just had to have her in this movie. He said that he hadn't felt so strongly about casting someone since Haley Joel Osment.

• 3 weeks later...

NYC crowd mocks M. Night Shyamalan

Director M. Night Shyamalan may need to take his name out of his own movie trailer. When the promo for "Devil" -- which he produced -- played before a Friday night screening of "Inception" at the 34th Street IMAX theater, the crowd booed when the screen showed, "From the mind of M. Night Shyamalan." "Then everyone erupted in laughter," a moviegoer reports. Shyamalan directed "The Sixth Sense" but his subsequent pictures -- including "The Happening" and "The Village" -- have flopped. A rep for Universal had no comment.

He hasn't really made a good movie since the Sixth Sense

I disagree. Unbreakable was much better than the Sixth Sense and still my favorite 'superhero origin story' and the music is the best superhero music ever made.

And the 'surprise ending' was fitting and oddly moving. Though some of that is due to the two leads, I suppose.

Archived