Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Vincent Jackson ... will remain available for trade (MET)

Mr.Skinbo

This might actually be a FA signing that works out for us. There are three facts that go into this equation. One, we don't have a viable deep threat. Two, McNabb can throw the deep ball. Three, VJax's primary ability is catching the deep ball.

I'm not using this as an argument for not signing Jackson but Armstrong is averaging circa 20 yards per catch right now and before last week ranked in the top 5 in the NFL in that category. I would not try to claim Armstrong is the next Jerry Rice but he is a good deep threat. Santana Moss can aslo still get behind a defender, he is just being used in a different way in our offense.

Still no doubt Jackson would add something to our receiving core - assuming he can stay out of trouble and suspensions.

I'm not using this as an argument for not signing Jackson but Armstrong is averaging circa 20 yards per catch right now and before last week ranked in the top 5 in the NFL in that category. I would not try to claim Armstrong is the next Jerry Rice but he is a good deep threat. Santana Moss can aslo still get behind a defender, he is just being used in a different way in our offense.

Still no doubt Jackson would add something to our receiving core - assuming he can stay out of trouble and suspensions.

Well IMO, i think the arguement should be made that VJax is the 'physical' deep threat that we need (red zone threat, fighting for jump balls). More often than not, our guys are out muscled to the ball. As we saw last night, those 50/50 plays can result to big plays for the offense when you have someone that is physically more imposing than the defense. We see it all around the league ( R. Moss w/NE, A. Johnson, C. Johnson, L. Fitzgerald, P. Burress w/NY, Boldin w/ AZ & Bmore..etc). We need someone that will make plays regardless of the coverage. And we have missed that perhaps since "50/50" Gardner.

The obsession over Vincent Jackson on this board still baffles me. There will be other good receiving prospects out there, most of which will not have the red flags that Jackson does.

I'm not one of the VJ fans, but I don't know who else is coming out in FA that would give us the type of threat as a WR that he has shown to be. If there are any, I'd rather have them, if they really are as good as Jackson is. Last night, he was unstoppable.

With a receiving corp of VJ, Moss, and Armstrong, or someone else at #3, the opposition couldn't double one player and our running game would open up big time. It would give our offensive line a little relief, and we could then use the draft to answer the OL, FS, and DL/OLB issues.

I also love the idea of picking up a NT in FA rather than the draft. WR and NT are two positions I think a team is better off with using FA to find one, if you don't already have great players at those positions, than have wholes to fill and going blind in the draft. I don't believe that's the case with OL, LB, or FS.

Jackson was impressive last night and we certainly need a true #1 WR. However, overreacting to a nationally televised prime time game is the type of behavior that has gotten us in a lot of trouble over the past decade. I'm not even necessarily against attempting to sign Jackson, but I have to imagine we can find our own Jackson for much, much cheaper. I just think we need to be careful about evaluating someone in a dynamic offense with a top-5 QB throwing him the ball (Rivers is unreal...smart, quick-delivery, accurate).

If we get Jackson, I won't be upset in the least. But, he'll be 28 next month and we'll need to also continue trying to find another potential #1 to groom (in the draft or with a younger FA acquisition). Additionally, we have to be sure to spend resources on the OL. That will be the key to improving in the near-term.

Games like that are just gonna drive his and the Chargers' price up. Given that, finding a free agent WR is probably the best bet. Jackson's gonna cost picks AND a new contract, rather than just a new contract for a free agent. The Patriots and their thousand draft picks will probably wind up with him. They could give away 2 draft picks and not even miss 'em cuz they got a dozen more. lol

Jackson was impressive last night and we certainly need a true #1 WR. However, overreacting to a nationally televised prime time game is the type of behavior that has gotten us in a lot of trouble over the past decade. I'm not even necessarily against attempting to sign Jackson, but I have to imagine we can find our own Jackson for much, much cheaper. I just think we need to be careful about evaluating someone in a dynamic offense with a top-5 QB throwing him the ball (Rivers is unreal...smart, quick-delivery, accurate).

If we get Jackson, I won't be upset in the least. But, he'll be 28 next month and we'll need to also continue trying to find another potential #1 to groom (in the draft or with a younger FA acquisition). Additionally, we have to be sure to spend resources on the OL. That will be the key to improving in the near-term.

Well, i think it depends on how much $$ VJ will be demanding....And this is the only thing that scares me about him. I really want him, not just based on last night, but he's the type of physically imposing threat that we need. But i'm not willing to dump all of our chips in his lap. Thankfully, Vinny's no longer here or else he would be the next "highest paid player in the history of his position".

Games like that are just gonna drive his and the Chargers' price up. Given that, finding a free agent WR is probably the best bet. Jackson's gonna cost picks AND a new contract, rather than just a new contract for a free agent. The Patriots and their thousand draft picks will probably wind up with him. They could give away 2 draft picks and not even miss 'em cuz they got a dozen more. lol

He's going to be a UFA after the season.

Im glad we waited on VJax and didnt trade any picks for him, now we can go after him and just use Danny's money. Lets make it happen Bruce!

If the Chargers franchise Jackson, then it would take picks to get him. That's what's likely going to happen. It would probably take a 2nd and 3rd/4th rd pick.

Well, i think it depends on how much $$ VJ will be demanding....And this is the only thing that scares me about him. I really want him, not just based on last night, but he's the type of physically imposing threat that we need. But i'm not willing to dump all of our chips in his lap. Thankfully, Vinny's no longer here or else he would be the next "highest paid player in the history of his position".

I agree with all of that. I just get nervous anytime a guy looks great on national television because we just witnessed the BEST he can ever do basically. Again, I'm not against trying to acquire him, I think he's very good. But at 28, he's well into his prime...I don't want to acquire a WR with a closing window of dominance.

However, overreacting to a nationally televised prime time game is the type of behavior that has gotten us in a lot of trouble over the past decade.

I'm pretty sure a Thursday night game on NFL network will be forgotten by the time free agency rolls around. Now if he tears it up in the playoffs, then his price will go through the roof.

PS. Why didn't the "real" VJAX thread bumped?

That 50 yard TD tonight had nothing to do with Philip Rivers or Norv Turner. That is a catch that no Redskins player can make and is exactly what we need (a big play making WR). Shanny needs to make this happen and I believe he will.

Exactly my thoughts.

The second TD, he got 3 yds of seperation down in the redzone, and on the third one he used his athletic ability to dive in the endzone.

I'm not one of the VJ fans, but I don't know who else is coming out in FA that would give us the type of threat as a WR that he has shown to be. If there are any, I'd rather have them, if they really are as good as Jackson is. Last night, he was unstoppable.

With a receiving corp of VJ, Moss, and Armstrong, or someone else at #3, the opposition couldn't double one player and our running game would open up big time. It would give our offensive line a little relief, and we could then use the draft to answer the OL, FS, and DL/OLB issues.

I also love the idea of picking up a NT in FA rather than the draft. WR and NT are two positions I think a team is better off with using FA to find one, if you don't already have great players at those positions, than have wholes to fill and going blind in the draft. I don't believe that's the case with OL, LB, or FS.

And I would not mind us going for AJ Green or Julio Jones in the first, and play him opposite VJax, when he is ready.

I do agree about the NT situation, we need to find a beast in FA, and maybe a center.

Who didn't know this thread would have resurfaced this morning.

Even if Allen landed this guy, Shanny would have him sitting on the sidelines. Presumably because he couldnt outpractice the worlds greatest practice players.

Oh come on now...who did he do that to? Fat Al and Devin Thomas? Well gee, I wonder why.

Exactly my thoughts.

The second TD, he got 3 yds of seperation down in the redzone, and on the third one he used his athletic ability to dive in the endzone.

And I would not mind us going for AJ Green or Julio Jones in the first, and play him opposite VJax, when he is ready.

I do agree about the NT situation, we need to find a beast in FA, and maybe a center.

I think we can find a NT in the draft...somewhere in the later rounds. I realize it's a key position to our D, but how many current NFL NTs were high draft picks? I think there's a very good chance that a 5th round pick could net us the type of player we need at that position.

No question, VJax was dominant last night. However, don't underestimate Rivers' role in those plays. Accuracy is a big deal (especially deep down the field). The only easy throw he made to VJax was that red zone TD...that was all VJax and the route. How many times have we seen deep passes near the sideline just this year where the passes led our WRs out of bounds or way off balance to the point where they don't get the TD. Rivers threw that jump ball perfectly and the third TD was a ridiculous pass. No QB on our roster makes that pass as accurately as Rivers did.

Archived