Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Vincent Jackson ... will remain available for trade (MET)

Mr.Skinbo

That 50 yard TD tonight had nothing to do with Philip Rivers or Norv Turner. That is a catch that no Redskins player can make and is exactly what we need (a big play making WR). Shanny needs to make this happen and I believe he will.
He's also considered one of the best blocking WRs out there...he alone would help our running game out, which would take pressure of the QB.

In the game last week, VJax ran a reverse for a 14 yd gain.

Imagine a 6' 5", 230lb wr with enough speed to run a reverse.

So far his audition for free agency is looking pretty good.

I agree with all of that. I just get nervous anytime a guy looks great on national television because we just witnessed the BEST he can ever do basically. Again, I'm not against trying to acquire him, I think he's very good. But at 28, he's well into his prime...I don't want to acquire a WR with a closing window of dominance.

I look at it like this. Even if we do aquire him at a decent price, I would still like to look to the draft for another WR. The needs on the Oline and Dline are of priority, that goes without saying. But, if we could add a couple pieces at the skill positions, then we should be in decent shape.

-VJax

-Drafted WR

-Armstrong

-M. Kelly remember he's still on the team. :)

-Another 2nd tier WR via FA.

-B. Banks

I look at it like this. Even if we do aquire him at a decent price, I would still like to look to the draft for another WR. The needs on the Oline and Dline are of priority, that goes without saying. But, if we could add a couple pieces at the skill positions, then we should be in decent shape.

-VJax

-Drafted WR

-Armstrong

-M. Kelly remember he's still on the team. :)

-Another 2nd tier WR via FA.

-B. Banks

I'd be happy with that mostly. Ideally though, I'd replace either Banks or you "Another 2nd tier WR via FA" with Terrence Austin (hopefully).

So, we'd have Jackson, Armstrong, and Austin most likely starting the season with the hope that Kelly and the drafted WR can work their way into the lineup and/or push the guys in front of them.

I'd be happy with that mostly. Ideally though, I'd replace either Banks or you "Another 2nd tier WR via FA" with Terrence Austin (hopefully).

So, we'd have Jackson, Armstrong, and Austin most likely starting the season with the hope that Kelly and the drafted WR can work their way into the lineup and/or push the guys in front of them.

I hope Kelly even remembers what a field, football, and pads feel like....unfortunately, he'll probably trip on a banana peel on the first day of mini camps, but i do hope he can contribute

edit: no moss in the slot? why down on Moss?

I hope Kelly even remembers what a field, football, and pads feel like....unfortunately, he'll probably trip on a banana peel on the first day of mini camps, but i do hope he can contribute

edit: no moss in the slot? why down on Moss?

I'm not down on Moss. To me, he might be our most consistent player since he arrived in 2005. I just think it's time for this team to turn the page on the Gibbs players from the middle part of this decade (nothing personal towards them). In some ways, I don't want them to stick around long enough to sour the good feelings they still have with us from our 2005/2007 playoff seasons. Moss, Portis, Sellers, Daniels, Carter, Rabach, Dockery, etc. are all guys I think we should consider trading (if there's ANY interest) or letting walk. A new era should be a new era.

Austin's still gotta play his way into the lineup. I think it's a little presumptuous to suggest he deserves a spot on next years WR corps, even if they don't get Jackson. The only WR you should be penciling in is Armstrong. He's under contract and he's produced. He's the only guy where both things apply. Everything else is up for grabs, with Moss's status up in the air, Jackson may or may not come here, Austin and Kelly haven't done much of anything to be handing them roster spots.

I'm not down on Moss. To me, he might be our most consistent player since he arrived in 2005. I just think it's time for this team to turn the page on the Gibbs players from the middle part of this decade (nothing personal towards them). In some ways, I don't want them to stick around long enough to sour the good feelings they still have with us from our 2005/2007 playoff seasons. Moss, Portis, Sellers, Daniels, Carter, Rabach, Dockery, etc. are all guys I think we should consider trading (if there's ANY interest) or letting walk. A new era should be a new era.

Im cool with that. Im all for a nwe era and younger players, new feelings and emotions.

Moss, Portis, Sellers, Daniels, Carter, Rabach, Dockery, etc. are all guys I think we should consider trading (if there's ANY interest) or letting walk. A new era should be a new era.

Agreed.

And I'd add Cooley to that list as well since he is the one with the highest trade value at this point.

first of all Jax is a free agent after the years up so to the people saying to trade for him, we dont have to. We just gotta throw money @ him. Secondly, I think we have to go after this guy in FA. Him and/or Sidney Rice. This would eliminate our problem at WR. Imagine if we got them both, our WR corp would be Vjax#1, Sidney Rice #2, and Santana at the slot at #3. It'd be a beautiful thing.

Why do people keep saying we need to go aftera running back? Ingram? Really? Torain just ran for a 160 yards in one half, but we need a running back? I know Torain gets injured easily, but seriously, we dont need a RB. I think Torain/Davis/Williams are a fine set of backs, and Shanhan makes almost any unknown running back a stud. Remember Reuben Droughns? Tatum Bell? Mike Anderson? All no namers until Shanny turned them into 1000 yd rushers. So let Shanny do his thing and our run game will be fine.

Austin's still gotta play his way into the lineup. I think it's a little presumptuous to suggest he deserves a spot on next years WR corps, even if they don't get Jackson. The only WR you should be penciling in is Armstrong. He's under contract and he's produced. He's the only guy where both things apply. Everything else is up for grabs, with Moss's status up in the air, Jackson may or may not come here, Austin and Kelly haven't done much of anything to be handing them roster spots.

I agree with that. That was my ideal lineup meaning "the lineup of WRs that would spend the least amount of resources yet still produce." Basically, it's HOPING that Kelly and Austin pan out so that we have more than just one incumbent. For all I know, they are both gone next year...but I hope we get something out of both of them. I don't see a reason to cut either one though, assuming you're planning on bringing in two guys in front of them. Roydell is our #4 WR right now...I think Kelly and/or Austin can match what he's done!

---------- Post added December-17th-2010 at 10:06 AM ----------

Agreed.

And I'd add Cooley to that list as well since he is the one with the highest trade value at this point.

I'm in that camp too, but I know he's a hot-button around here so I didn't want to derail this thread with that debate!

You guys really think the Chargers would franchise VJ? That seems like an absolute disaster. He wants a long term deal. You think they would go through this year all over again, because no way he is happy with a franchise tag.

I think either they sign him to a long term deal or he walks. I cant see the franchise tag being used - it would turn into a **** show.

Moss is getting past his prime and is inconsistent.

That's when you put him in positions to maximize what he still does well. We like to be down on guys that we're not using correctly and blame them, rather them put them where they'll be most effective.

If you're still forcing him to still be the #1 guy on the outside, you're not gonna get the most of out him. But that being said, he could still be effective on the outside if there was someone else on the other side to take the pressure off. Get him out there on some one on ones.

---------- Post added December-17th-2010 at 10:10 AM ----------

You guys really think the Chargers would franchise VJ? That seems like an absolute disaster. He wants a long term deal. You think they would go through this year all over again, because no way he is happy with a franchise tag.

I think either they sign him to a long term deal or he walks. I cant see the franchise tag being used - it would turn into a **** show.

They wouldn't go through this again, I think if they did tag him, they actually would go through with trading him this time around. I don't think they would do so with any expectation that he'd come back and play.

I'm in that camp too, but I know he's a hot-button around here so I didn't want to derail this thread with that debate!

Its nice to have fan favorites and character guys, but you also need to have a kind of "loose relationship" with players because sometimes if the situation is right (higher picks for compensation) its just better to let them go but make sure its handled in the right manner and professionalism

ex. Vrabel, Seymour, etc.

That's when you put him in positions to maximize what he still does well. We like to be down on guys that we're not using correctly and blame them, rather them put them where they'll be most effective.

If you're still forcing him to still be the #1 guy on the outside, you're not gonna get the most of out him. But that being said, he could still be effective on the outside if there was someone else on the other side to take the pressure off. Get him out there on some one on ones.

Of all the Gibbs v2.0 holdovers, Moss is one of the ones I'd consider keeping if only for the reason that we can't replace everyone in one offseason.

I have hopes that Austin can be our next Moss (albeit a poor-man's version). He needs to get some reps down the stretch this season now that we're done.

They wouldn't go through this again, I think if they did tag him, they actually would go through with trading him this time around. I don't think they would do so with any expectation that he'd come back and play.

Big risk for the Chargers to do that.

What if no one takes the bait and they are stuck with VJax for the year?

Its nice to have fan favorites and character guys, but you also need to have a kind of "loose relationship" with players because sometimes if the situation is right (higher picks for compensation) its just better to let them go but make sure its handled in the right manner and professionalism

ex. Vrabel, Seymour, etc.

In a way, it would benefit Cooley to be traded so he can have a chance to be on a championship team before his window of opportunity closes.

Well, i think it depends on how much $$ VJ will be demanding....And this is the only thing that scares me about him. I really want him, not just based on last night, but he's the type of physically imposing threat that we need. But i'm not willing to dump all of our chips in his lap. Thankfully, Vinny's no longer here or else he would be the next "highest paid player in the history of his position".

I think the deal in place was somewhere around 4yr/$40 mil or a $10 per year thing with "character" protection clauses. That of course was squashed when AJ wouldn't take the picks offered.

I think he's worth that but that's just me.

Yeah, I think they will. They don't call AJ Smith "Lord of No Rings" for nothing. He doesn't care what VJ thinks or feels. He'll do what he thinks is best for the Chargers. After what's happened, I bet he feels it's a waste to not get something in return for him. I don't think they'd draw it out though. They'd probably move quickly with a trade.

Archived