Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are Redskins Done at Wide Receiver?

bulldog

The third year is supposed to be the magic year for WRs, and that's where DT and MK are. Fred Davis came into his own last year with Cooley out, this year we'll have both on the field which will help open up things for the WRs.

ARE was let go, because his spot at slot receiver is something Moss is more suited for anyway. Not to mention his contract was just too much. This was a trim the fat year, and the fact we've managed to improve as many aspects of this team while doing it is a testament to our new front office.

I think you go into this year and give those 3rd year receivers their chance to shine. If that doesn't work out, well you know it's either that position or LB you're focusing on next year ( if there is a next year that is, CBA and all )

Mind you I've been a little out of the loop past few weeks, so I could be missing something. My household got a new little Redskins fan last Tuesday, so been busy helping the wife :)

I think our receivers will be fine with Donovan under center.

Not sure about "fine" but I do agree that he will get the most out of them that can be had. In other words, we'll find out for sure who stinks and who is serviceable.

I may be wrong, but I thought I read (no I don't have a link) that Brown was physically able to play halfway through the year, but the current IR rules prevented him from doing so.

I never read that, would be promising if so. Love your Frank Zappa sig.

RECEIVERS (6)

Santana Moss, Devin Thomas, Joey Galloway, Bobby Wade, Mike Furrey and Terrence Austin.

Analysis: What’s the fun without throwing a couple curveballs, which is why Malcolm Kelly isn’t included. He doesn’t play special teams – that’s why Wade, Furrey and Austin all make the team. Guessing this position is a crapshoot – Thomas is the No. 2 receiver behind Moss by default, and Galloway needs to show he can make it through camp. On his last Denver team, Mike Shanahan carried only five receivers (four active on Sundays), but Austin makes it as the sixth player if he has a good camp returning kicks.

http://www.csnwashington.com/06/21/10/Redskins-53-Man-Roster-Version-10/landing_redskins.html?blockID=257987&feedID=2993

From Ryan O'Halloran at CSNwashington.com via Redskins.com

There is a whole roster discussion but thought this was interesting to this thread. No Kelly. And Wade whom I have I seen mentioned little. I feel he does have a chance to impact the team and is really hungry.

Galloway, Wade and Furrey didn't do anything in 2009 withtheir former teams.

While the argument that Thomas and Kelly might have upside is still valid, I don't see much upside coming from 33 and 38 year old players.

The depth here at WR is in my mind strictly names at this point but little to inspire cinfidence that they are going to impact the team on the field in 2010.

That's why it seems as if as with RT that the Redskins might have identified a veteran that may come available like Brown later in the summer and team was simply filling out the roster to have bodies in camp.

The third year is supposed to be the magic year for WRs, and that's where DT and MK are. Fred Davis came into his own last year with Cooley out, this year we'll have both on the field which will help open up things for the WRs.

I agree with you that we are all hoping that the magic of the 3rd year holds true. There is plenty of data to support that for many of the top WRs in the NFL right now (and over the past decade), including Roddy White, Sidney Rice, Giants Steve Smith, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Hines Ward, Donald Driver, Santana, Jerricho Cotchery, and Vincent Jackson.

I think we are all hoping that Devin explodes this season much like Sidney Rice did last season with the introduction of a big-armed veteran QB. But the key word there is hope. Until we see some evidence of marked improvement, all that the 3rd year theory represents is a hope.

I mean, has there been ONE puff piece on DT or MK this offseason? Have we heard that they are making good strides? We heard about Portis being in great shape, about LJ looking fresh, about McNabb, the line, even the defense...but on the WR front the talk has been almost non-existant, save bloggers and us murmuring about how thin we are at WR. I mean, at least if we had a puff piece, whether its spin control or marketing, we'd know that there was something going on.

I'll say it again, the silence is deafening. Unless there is a big change between now and preseason, I just don't see Shanahan going into the season relying on hopes from the WR position.

I like this guy, and how old is he exactly? Born: 2/25/81, he has been in this offense and has started alot. His production has been good except for last year with the lowly Chiefs. He has speed, humility and versatility, he is the new James Thrash.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Wade_Hopes_Experience_Gives_Him_An_Edge_122201.jsp

Bobby Wade grew up in Los Angeles, so perhaps it’s not surprising that he seems to excel in the West Coast offense.

Wade, a 7-year veteran wide receiver, signed with the Redskins on April 29 for that very reason.

In 2007-08, Wade was at his best playing in the West Coast system used by the Minnesota Vikings. He was a regular starter for the Vikings and caught 50+ passes both seasons.

As a free agent this offseason, Wade wanted to be a part of Mike Shanahan’s version of the West Coast offense in Washington.

“Obviously this offense that we run and Coach Shanahan’s reputation, it was definitely a big reason,” Wade said. “It’s a very similar offense and a lot of the routes are very much the same. The terminology is different and obviously the play-calling will be different, but for the most part the learning curve was pretty fast for me to pick up.”

Wade, 5-10 and 186 pounds, entered the NFL as a 2003 fifth-round draft pick by the Chicago Bears.

If a nobody like Miles Austin can go undrafted and put up all pro numbers for Dallas, then Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas can do the same for the Redskins. Moss is a very young age 31. Kelly and Thomas will only get better. In fact the success of the passing game depends on either one of them or both of them. Thomas showed glimpes of improvement last season, catching TD passes against the Saints and Eagles. Malcolm Kelly was involved with the longest pass play from scrimmage last season, an 84 yard reception that he almost took all the way for a TD.

Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan will find ways to utilize Devin's and Malcolm's talent, thus making them better WRs.

If a nobody like Miles Austin can go undrafted and put up all pro numbers for Dallas, then Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas can do the same for the Redskins. Moss is a very young age 31.

Using that reasoning, every drafted wide receiver should be a huge success. Austin and Welker needed to work their way up the roster because they were UDFAs. They were able to hang in there because they showed skill, but did not come from big time programs. MK and DT are just the opposite - they came with high expectations and didn't produce. Worse, the reasons that they dropped in the draft have more or less proven to be true. This doesn't mean DT won't be able to make it - his problem was inexperience, which can be overcome, but I think MK will have a tough time. His lack of speed hurts him at this level.

It may be 'their' year to prove they can play but my guess is based upon how aggressive Shanahan and Allen have been to address needs that we aren't that far away from a trade or signing of a veteran released from another club in camp or the preseason due to money or 'fit' issues that can log starter's minutes in 2010.

(Although i would have been for bringing in TO earlier)

I hope we don't bring in another released veteran WR.

I believe that part of the reason why ARE was let go was to give Malcom/Devin more targets i.e. more opportunity.

Bringing a vet now would further stunt/retard their growth.

I think both Malcolm and Devin have different strengths but both showed flashes of the talent they posses.

I think its a matter of putting them in position and situations to make plays and that task falls upon on Kyle Shanahan and McNabb and i think they're equal to the task.

I am just going to be honest. I don't feel it would be such a bad idea to bring in T.O. I think he has been humbled and he is better than any other veteran that we've brought in so far at the WR position. He has something to prove and there is chemistry with him and Mcnabb. Why not give him a shot? There is no way he will even think about acting out, he knows this is his last chance. I think we should give him that last chance. I also, think Santana Moss took the (HGH) supplements and he knew it was cheating, so he will be suspended I'm sure.

I am just going to be honest. I don't feel it would be such a bad idea to bring in T.O. I think he has been humbled and he is better than any other veteran that we've brought in so far at the WR position. He has something to prove and there is chemistry with him and Mcnabb. Why not give him a shot? There is no way he will even think about acting out, he knows this is his last chance. I think we should give him that last chance. I also, think Santana Moss took the (HGH) supplements and he knew it was cheating, so he will be suspended I'm sure.

Terrell Owens can still get it done. His numbers dropped a little last year with the Bills because he was in a non productive offense. People say Owens is aging. But Owens has put up great statitics his whole career. He would be very productive.

However, GMs and coaches are concerned about T.O.'s downside, which is his antics. Bruce Allen won't as much bring him in for a physical because he's a potential cancer. Owens may be humbled, however his past has finally caught up with him. With a new head coach, a and new QB who Owens has has issues with in the past, it's just too much of a risk at this point to sign him to a contract. The potential bad outweighs the potential good.

Considering the options I don't think we have much option but to put Thomas and Kelly out there and finally see what they have.

I am not saying they will put up 1500 yards with 12 touchdowns each but I am confident in their ability to become solid reliable starters for us.

They have been held back by a bad coach and a bad QB. Now they have a real coach, a real OC, and a real QB. I have no reason to think that this new trifecta of strength will not have a direct and very positive influence on our young receivers.

Your looking at last years team under ZORN. Our WR's never had a chance to show what they could or could not do based on the plays Zorn ran. He was just lost in the NFL. Lets just see what we have this season. We may have two all pro WR's you just don't know at this point.

Kevin Curtis would be a nice addition imo...DM has connected to him in the past and knows him well...JMHO

McNabb and Curtis like each other a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see #5 start lobbying for KC......he can catch the ball that's for sure.

I'm on board with our receivers.

The weakest area I see is at free safety. We don't have one. Everyone of our safeties are of the strong safety variety. I understand that Hasslett says that his style of defense doesn't have a designated free safety, because both safeties will be required to play each way. However, since none of our safeties can play deep, whoever they switch to is going to get beat. You can swap them all you want, but this group is gonna get torched deep. Our only hope is to have such a fierce pass rush that the opponent doesn't have time to throw deep.

Judging strictly from 2008/2009 success our WR corps is looking very very suspect. It is all going to depend on Donovan IMHO, though. Our recieving depth could go from one of the worst to one of the best if McNabb can make both Kelly and Thomas pop.

Judging strictly from 2008/2009 success our WR corps is looking very very suspect. It is all going to depend on Donovan IMHO, though.

And how much better a coach McCardell is compared to Hixon or Mike Shanahan is compared to Jim Zorn.

Archived