Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are Redskins Done at Wide Receiver?

bulldog

We've repaired our offensive line, which is the key to any Shanahan offense. We have stopgaps in a lot of other positions (mostly on defense) including DT, LB, and DB.

We have a lot of holes to fill and unless we can pull off a heist with AH then there's very little out there for us to upgrade at WR.

ARE was a salary cap move. We had to do it this year in case a cap was implemented next year. He is better than Gallaway. Gallaway, Williams, and Furrey all scare me. Hopefully 1 can put together a decent season because at some point one will be asked to contribute. MK and DT have been nothing short of disappointing. Who knows with these guys.

I agree that WR looks weak. However, I believe that WR is an over-rated position. If the QB is putting balls where they should be; the line protects the QB; and the line creates holes for the RBs, then average talent at WR will start to look pretty good.

With that said, I have confidence that MS and BA are always looking to upgrade. If something realistic is out there, they will make the right move. They will not panic and mortgage the future.

I understand your point but no one scared me more than ARE last year. Whether he was catching a pass and self tackling, ie falling over, or letting a punt bounce off his helmet he almost gave me a heart attack every game.

upgrade TO to seahawks and Burress in jail.

We've repaired our offensive line, which is the key to any Shanahan offense. We have stopgaps in a lot of other positions (mostly on defense) including DT, LB, and DB.

We have a lot of holes to fill and unless we can pull off a heist with AH then there's very little out there for us to upgrade at WR.

LOL. Didnt mean to cause you so much heart-ache or emotional distress. My b. If you can't see any humor in "Pay attention troll" then I don't know what to say. I forgot how some people live and die by the smiley faces. My b. :silly: I guess those are fightin words where your from. :box: Relax. And your also confusing trolling with lurking. If your going to be such an "active member of this community" then maybe you should self-educate yourself on some interent lingo. :google: But seriously, I guess I should have put a smiley after troll. I try not to be a very combative poster. Must have been my immaturity flaring up.

Back to the topic at hand tho. Hicks and BMW are only going to make each other better every day. I expect a very good product out of who ever wins that competition. You know what your getting with Dock. Yea hes never played in a zbs but he is pretty damn athletic for a guy his size. Rabach was basically born to play in a zone. His intelligence and athleticism will translate perfectly. Jamaal is a perennial pro-bowler so the only way to call my suggestion, which was a suggestion (re:quite possibly), ludicrous is on the fact that Trent could be a bust. I personally don't see that happening with the coaching staff we have and potential he possesses. But hey, I have been wrong before. Part of the reason I didn't say "Shanahan has now made this OL into certified, bonified, totally the best world-beaters, yeaaaaaa."

Nice way to back track after exposing your immaturity. You're apology is accepted.:pfft: You keep on making assumptions as well. Have you spoken with Hicks and or BMW? Just because you"expect a very good product" you are basing your expectation on sheer assumptions. You say Brown is a perennial pro bowler, but that was before his season ending injury and you dont even address that. Is that not supposed to affect him at all? After a season ending injury and a season removed from playing he is supposed to jump right back in as the perenial pro-bowler he used to be in what... 2008/2009 season? Come on man... Trent may not be a bust, but he is anything but proven. He has never even played an NFL snap, and he hasnt even put on pads yet. Temper your expectations. The Raiders took an O-lineman 1st overall a few years back and he has been nothing but servicable, nothing more. Def hasnt lived up to his draft billing. Not everyone drafted that high is an automatic stud, is the point im making. Ah yeah, Robert Gallery was his name. You say "you KNOW what you are getting with Dock" but how do you KNOW that? He is a big, lumbering mountain of a man, not the typical nimble O-lineman Shanny uses in a zone blocking scheme. It may play part of the reason he didnt take Okung in the draft. He has never played in a zone blocking scheme before. The only one that has is Lichtensteiger. You cant know anything for sure, yet you toss garbage statements like that out and expect people to just accept it and agree with you? You called out line a "Top 10 line by week 8" but i guess you were joking about that as well right? Even though you said it twice?

To sum up my feelings on our own O-line, and to be clear. Do I think they are... as you so eloquently stated twice "A top 10 O-line"? No. 100% no, and for the reasons I have plainly stated a few times over. Do I think they have a chance to be decent/good? Yes, because of additions like Lichtensteiger who already knows the scheme and because Dock and Rabach are healthy. I have sincere concerns about J. Brown, Hicks (I read he plays tall and gets pushed around) and until I see Williams play, Im going to reserve my judgement. I liked Gallery and he really hasnt done anything. I learned that lesson. I think they have the chance to be decent. 15-25th in the league if I had to put a placement on it like you did, but in no way a top 10 O-line. I ican say with confidence that they will be a much improved line from last year, but thats about it.

Dont get your panties in a bunch because i laughed at your post. I also find it funny that you criticize my internet vernacular as your only defense. Whats next... you gonna criticize my spelling too? :pfft: The bottom line is that you took offense to my discrediting your statement of "Top 10 O-line" and started name calling in defense. Own it bro, it's in writing. I dont care if you called me a troll, lurker, whatever. You caught feelings and began name calling. Learning experience on your part, I didnt take offense because everyone has been there. I tried complimenting you and saying i knew you were above that, but you cant even own it. Look bro, you havent caused me any heart ache. You made me and my co-workers laugh and you caught feelings over someone not agreeing with you. I have logically explained my position on why i dont agree with you, but you still offer nothing more then what you "expect". Why do you expect these things given the reasons i have given you as why not to call them a top 10 O line? Thats how quality debate and conversation is spawned, i challenge your statement, give the reasons i beleieve what i beleive, and wait for a mature, well thought out rebuttle. I have yet to get that kind of response from you.

Being an active member on the board has nothing to do with internet "lingo". It has a lot to do with not regressing to adolescence when someone doesnt agree with what you said. It also seems from your last post, that the smiley faces i added into my response caught your ire... Im sorry for ruffling your feathers. That is owning my mistake for riling you up. My advice to you is not to be so touchy. You do make a good point that it is hard to convey sarcasm in writing over the internet. While I do not think that is what you were doing, I will agree that it was not conveyed well.

So I guess this is the impass we are at. You think we have a top 10 O-line and I do not. No need to :beatdeadhorse:... My B. ;)

If DT and MK fail in camp and the preseason to show they are either durable or consistent producers, the Redskins are going to find other receivers to bring in as insurance.

Every year we see veteran receivers that lose their spots to draft picks who are cheaper.

In many cases these receivers are still serviceable performers, they simply make too much money for where they are in terms of catches and touchdowns.

I don't mind having a 32 or 33 year old receiver on the team that the Redskins are counting on to take some heat off Santana Moss, but Michael Furrey and Joey Galloway ain't it and haven't been 'it' in a long time :)

If DT and MK fail in camp and the preseason to show they are either durable or consistent producers, the Redskins are going to find other receivers to bring in as insurance.

Every year we see veteran receivers that lose their spots to draft picks who are cheaper.

In many cases these receivers are still serviceable performers, they simply make too much money for where they are in terms of catches and touchdowns.

I don't mind having a 32 or 33 year old receiver on the team that the Redskins are counting on to take some heat off Santana Moss, but Michael Furrey and Joey Galloway ain't it and haven't been 'it' in a long time :)

I havent read much of anything good about MK this offseason... whats the chances of him not making the team?

I guess I'm one of the few excited about DT from some of his work towards the end of the season. Still not even close to being sold on MK tho. I think father and son can do some damage with what we have especially because of our depth at TE's and RB's.

he was damaged goods coming out of college in terms of the knee, a number of teams had him on a 'do not draft' list due to worries he had degenerative issues with the knee.

Cerrato and Snyder of course ignored all that and looked at his 6'4 225 frame and decided they needed him here regardless.

I think there is a real chance that Shanahan is going to let another of the 2009 receivers go in camp or the preseason.

Mitchell was a VERY early cut for a guy that made the 53 man roster last season.

He didn't even make it to camp to compete.

I think the days of waiting for Kelly because he was a #2 pick are over. He wasn't Shanahan's selection and he doesn't have a big contract.

So, if he doesn't produce he could be gone, although I could see a scenario where he would be gone after 2010 rather than before it with the chance of at least getting on the field during the regular season.

But once again, any failures on his part to solidify his status would probably lead Shanahan to bring in another veteran that would immediately take the spot of one of the other 30 somethings.

I can't imagine that Galloway, Furrey and Wade are really impressing anyone out there :rolleyes:

I think the days of waiting for Kelly because he was a #2 pick are over. He wasn't Shanahan's selection and he doesn't have a big contract.

Thats a good point I hadnt really given much thought. Especially the Mitchell part, i accidently erased that. I knew MK had knee problems in college. It dropped my jaw that we still took him. It puts more emphasis on DT doing well. I would hate hate hate for neither of those WR's from that draft to pan out. I always think back to last season and there was a play, a bomb that Campbell launched, and DT caught it in stride after burning his coverage and took it to the house... only to be called back on a foul ont he O-line. Heyer maybe? Rabach? I forget. But that play alone gave me a glimpse of whats possible from him, and its my hope that McNabb can bring it out of him.

With that said, Id still be very pleased with the aquisition of T.O.

What other WR's are out there in FA ?

there isn't anyone out there right now.

but my guess is that we will see some players become available in August when teams see their draft picks and free agents in pads and exhibition games.

by that time Washington will have worked through the existing group at WR and see who can play the game.

Moss is 31 and is still rehabbing from offseason procedures.he only recently returned to practice.

With ARE gone there isn't anyone else on the roster with 50 catches in 2009 or even going back to 2008.

Galloway at 38 was cut by both NE and Pittsburgh. The Steelers then brought ARE back to town.

Moss has lost about a half a step since he's been here.

ARE is going to have to fight to make it on the Steelers roster.

Galloway & Furrey were brought in as warning shots to DT &MK. Especially since DT has been dealing with hammy issues & dropping a lot of passes.

Nice way to back track after exposing your immaturity. You're apology is accepted.:pfft: You keep on making assumptions as well. Have you spoken with Hicks and or BMW? Just because you"expect a very good product" you are basing your expectation on sheer assumptions. You say Brown is a perennial pro bowler, but that was before his season ending injury and you dont even address that. Is that not supposed to affect him at all? After a season ending injury and a season removed from playing he is supposed to jump right back in as the perenial pro-bowler he used to be in what... 2008/2009 season? Come on man... Trent may not be a bust, but he is anything but proven. He has never even played an NFL snap, and he hasnt even put on pads yet. Temper your expectations. The Raiders took an O-lineman 1st overall a few years back and he has been nothing but servicable, nothing more. Def hasnt liv ;)

LOL. I'm out right now so ill get back to u later cool Guy. Your not off the hook.

I dont see the Skins making any more moves this offseason. Look what they have done already. New QB, running backs,O-Line, linebackers and a few spot players as well. I think DT & MK will have a chance this season to prove themselfs. Being that they will lead the NFL in rushing. And the two tight ends have a good year. That should be enough to get us a wild card birth. Look for the Skins to take a top receiver & a CB in next years draft.

At some point we have to give our young WRs a chance and see what we have in them. I remember a lot of times last year where they'd be open but Campbell would overthrow them or something. I think if at least ONE of the two between DT and MK can develop into a solid starter we'll be okay. I know Moss is 31 but he still has a couple of good years left, and we have two excellent TEs. McNabb has also turned water into wine when it comes to receivers throughout his career.

LOL. I'm out right now so ill get back to u later cool Guy. Your not off the hook.

Wow, I have you checking ES while you are out doing other things. :ols: Bro, its over. You arent even interesting at this point anymore. You're arguement wasnt anything more then your expectations. You dont even offer anything of merit to back your opinion up, just a bunch of speculation and big words attacking my "internet lingo," and the contempt for the way that I use smileys in a forum where there is an option to. I hate to correct you once again, but you are done with me sir, or rather I am finished with you. I have seen people like you come and go on this board for years now, and even if im not in the conversations, the internet tough guys like you get put on block. It ends the vicious cycle of you trying to mince my words and name call when there is really no reason for it.

When it comes down to the come down, this is all about me not agreeing with your statement and assesment of our O-line and you catching feelings over it, oh and for my apparent use of smileys. I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt origanally, I tried apologizing for upsetting you with the use of the smileys.

SO yes, I am "off the hook,". By blocking you,I do get the last word, I no longer have to deal with your meritless comments and as you can see in this thread I have moved on to intellectual discussion. My suggestion is that you do the same. If you really really feel the need to continue this discussion,PM me.. This urinating contest infront of the rest of the board is over. There is much better conversation going on in this thread anyways, enjoy it. ;)

I don't see how we can draw any conclusions about Kelly or Thomas until we've seen them in a good offense with an NFL QB.

I think we'll learn a lot about both of them in the next few months. That's a big part of what I'm looking forward to watching this year.

I don't see how we can draw any conclusions about Kelly or Thomas until we've seen them in a good offense with an NFL QB.

I think we'll learn a lot about both of them in the next few months. That's a big part of what I'm looking forward to watching this year.

Its MK 's knees that worry me about him. Im sure he is brimming with talent, but if he cant stay healthy, he is just a body holding a roster spot. I recalled a beautiful play I saw DT make last season only for it to be called back. Plays like the one i saw are what keeps my hopes alive for DT. How tall is he anyways? Hehas the speed, I believe he has height, it may just be learning how to run crisp routes and get seperation off the line that he needs to work on. It may just all be a mental hurdle or some maturation he has to do. Lets hope so. The X factor is McNabb. Besides being more accurate and having better timing in t he pocket then Campbell, I think having a proven vet behind center can help the confidence of the young WR's feel like they have a better chance. With MK my fear is that its not a mental thing but a physical durability issue.

I agree that our WR corps is definitely one of the weaker aspects we face this upcoming season. I'm trying to be optimistic with a new QB at the helm and am still holding hopes for Thomas and Kelly. Plus, we're going to be utilizing our TE's a lot more...so I am trying to keep an optimistic outlook here. All I can say is I can't wait for this season to start.

I agree that our WR corps is definitely one of the weaker aspects we face this upcoming season. I'm trying to be optimistic with a new QB at the helm and am still holding hopes for Thomas and Kelly. Plus, we're going to be utilizing our TE's a lot more...so I am trying to keep an optimistic outlook here. All I can say is I can't wait for this season to start.

If we bring in Westbrook he would also be used as a catching threat out of the backfield so that would hypothetically give us one more reciever if we end up landing him. When we drafted Davis i thought for sure we would see more 2 TE sets, but im still holding my breath. Id think with a top tier TE in Cooley and a and top end prospect in Davis that we would see 2 TE sets as a staple last year but they were merely an after thought. Im keeping my fingers crossed. In another thread, bringing back Thrash is being tossed around. Id be down for it, but more in a coaching/mentoring role instead of necessarily a pass catcher. Either way though, I guess id be down.

Moss has lost about a half a step since he's been here.

ARE is going to have to fight to make it on the Steelers roster.

Galloway & Furrey were brought in as warning shots to DT &MK. Especially since DT has been dealing with hammy issues & dropping a lot of passes.

But at least he can do music videos :doh:

I actually like Devin, though. There are a couple of plays where he really fought after the catch and made some REALLY nice moves.

Malcolm on the other hand? Ugh... I hate watching him.

Nice way to back track after exposing your immaturity. You're apology is accepted.

Ok. Lets start here. First of all your fist comment of something like "after reading this I stopped reading" was a complete d-bag comment and was why I was pissed in the first place. If you didn't like what I posted then why respond to it at all? Instead you respond like a child who reads the first page of a book and decides he doesn't want to continue. The funniest part is that you based your entire assumption on the fact that I said that Shanahan turned our OL into "world beaters" even though I said that we coud "quite possibly" have a top 10 line. That is what we call a p o s s i b i l i t y. Not a guarantee. English 101.

:pfft: You keep on making assumptions as well. Have you spoken with Hicks and or BMW? Just because you"expect a very good product" you are basing your expectation on sheer assumptions.

I guess I am crazy to expect the winner of the RG position to be a good player considering BMW has done nothing but improve and the fact that Artis Hicks is a very serviceable player in his own right. And now that they are battling everyday to win that position its rediculous to think that competition will breed a good product. Crazy me.

You say Brown is a perennial pro bowler, but that was before his season ending injury and you dont even address that. Is that not supposed to affect him at all? After a season ending injury and a season removed from playing he is supposed to jump right back in as the perenial pro-bowler he used to be in what... 2008/2009 season? Come on man...

I guess you didn't realize that he was placed on IR with a sports hernia and slight hip injury. Not exactly what you would call major injuries. I guess you consider MS and BA idiots for obtaining him since hes damaged goods. Your right, your much more informed then them.

Trent may not be a bust, but he is anything but proven. He has never even played an NFL snap, and he hasnt even put on pads yet. Temper your expectations. The Raiders took an O-lineman 1st overall a few years back and he has been nothing but servicable, nothing more. Def hasnt lived up to his draft billing. Not everyone drafted that high is an automatic stud, is the point im making. Ah yeah, Robert Gallery was his name.

So your basis for Trent not panning out is Rober Gallery. Really? Robert Gallery? Thats all you got? And I am the idiot? LMAO. Way to prove a point by using one extreme example. Genius.

You say "you KNOW what you are getting with Dock" but how do you KNOW that? He is a big, lumbering mountain of a man, not the typical nimble O-lineman Shanny uses in a zone blocking scheme. It may play part of the reason he didnt take Okung in the draft. He has never played in a zone blocking scheme before. The only one that has is Lichtensteiger. You cant know anything for sure,

Your opinion of dock being a "big lumbering moutain of a man" 'pause so I can wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes', is just as legit of my opinion of him being a good player in a ZBS. I'm not sure why you thing your some kind of super scout who thinks that your opinion is truth and anyone elses is completely laughable. Funny that you accuse me of being immature for not being able to take criticism.

yet you toss garbage statements like that out and expect people to just accept it and agree with you? You called out line a "Top 10 line by week 8" but i guess you were joking about that as well right? Even though you said it twice?

To agree with me. Reading comprehension is all I expect. I expect people to comprehend the words "quite possibly" as what they mean. Obviously quite possibly to you means definite or concrete or 100% no doubt in my mind. R e a d.

To sum up my feelings on our own O-line, and to be clear. Do I think they are... as you so eloquently stated twice "A top 10 O-line"?

Again. I said "quite possibly". Lets read that again for the reading impaired. Q u i t e p o s s i b l y. There you go little fella. Your getting it.

No. 100% no, and for the reasons I have plainly stated a few times over. Do I think they have a chance to be decent/good? Yes, because of additions like Lichtensteiger who already knows the scheme and because Dock and Rabach are healthy

Lesson. Lichtensteiger doesn't know the system. He got drafted and spent a year under Shanny and was then cut by McDaniels.

I have sincere concerns about J. Brown, Hicks (I read he plays tall and gets pushed around) and until I see Williams play, Im going to reserve my judgement. I liked Gallery and he really hasnt done anything. I learned that lesson. I think they have the chance to be decent. 15-25th in the league if I had to put a placement on it like you did, but in no way a top 10 O-line. I ican say with confidence that they will be a much improved line from last year, but thats about it.

Im starting to realize that your not really totally sure what your talking about. The fact that you "liked Gallery" and that he "hasnt done anything" is the basis for you not expecting much from Trent says it all. Keep the scouting for the scouts. Lets not over extend ourselves. You could develop a headache, or even a tumor.

Dont get your panties in a bunch because i laughed at your post. I also find it funny that you criticize my internet vernacular as your only defense. Whats next... you gonna criticize my spelling too? :pfft:

Im glad you compensated your fail at internet lingo with a insult. Hypocrite much?

The bottom line is that you took offense to my discrediting your statement of "Top 10 O-line" and started name calling in defense. Own it bro, it's in writing. I dont care if you called me a troll, lurker, whatever.

Sorry to confuse you.

You caught feelings and began name calling. Learning experience on your part, I didnt take offense because everyone has been there. I tried complimenting you and saying i knew you were above that, but you cant even own it. Look bro, you havent caused me any heart ache. You made me and my co-workers laugh and you caught feelings over someone not agreeing with you

You called over your co-workers? :ols: infinity. No amount of laughing smilies could express the amount of douche you deserve. No offense but that is hilarious.

I have logically explained my position on why i dont agree with you, but you still offer nothing more then what you "expect". Why do you expect these things given the reasons i have given you as why not to call them a top 10 O line? Thats how quality debate and conversation is spawned, i challenge your statement, give the reasons i beleieve what i beleive, and wait for a mature, well thought out rebuttle. I have yet to get that kind of response from you.

Again. Its funny that you believe that your opinion is so far and above that of any other poster.

Being an active member on the board has nothing to do with internet "lingo". It has a lot to do with not regressing to adolescence when someone doesnt agree with what you said. It also seems from your last post, that the smiley faces i added into my response caught your ire... Im sorry for ruffling your feathers. That is owning my mistake for riling you up. My advice to you is not to be so touchy. You do make a good point that it is hard to convey sarcasm in writing over the internet. While I do not think that is what you were doing, I will agree that it was not conveyed well.

So I guess this is the impass we are at. You think we have a top 10 O-line and I do not. No need to :beatdeadhorse:... My B. ;)

Again. Again. Again. Again. "Quite possibly" a top 10 OL is what I said. Next time being a little more careful with your comments will save you alot of embarassment. I apologize for the ridicule I have caused you. :silly:

This will be the last time I address you in this thread. I do not wish to further derail it. Toodles.

I understand that we're trying to field a championship team this season, but unfortunately, we can't fix everything in one offseason.

The only way I could see pulling off a major upgrade right now is somehow trading Haynesworth for an above-average receiver. I'm not talking Andre Johnson because that's delusional, but I'm talking someone in the 60-catches range.

Otherwise, unfortunately, I think this is an area of concern that's going to have to wait until 2011.

How about Albert Haynesworth for this guy http://www.nfl.com/players/stevebreaston/profile?id=BRE019124

Archived