Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are Redskins Done at Wide Receiver?

bulldog

I think signing Westbrook will help the passing game more than the running game. With screens to him and Cooley and Davis pushing the seams, it should open things up for Devin Thomas on the outside. Look for Santana to move to the slot. Galloway will be used to stretch the field and Kelly is the redzone guy. I think one WR will be used simply as a returner. If these guys do not produce, Shanny will look for someone to get cut or think real hard about TO.

This is not a part of the roster that I think we can realistically fix this offseason. We might just have to take our lumps at the position this year and try for an upgrade in the draft next season, where there will be some awesome guys available in the first.

We should wait and see what we've got with Kelly and Thomas for another season anyway. A lot of receivers make a third year leap and it could happen to either of them if they actually manage to stay healthy. We'll know a lot better how we stand at WR going forward at the end of this year.

DT & MK showed flashes last year in Zorn's high school offense, no running game to take the heat off the passing game, and without McNabb here.

Shanny knows how to take advantage of a player's skills and put them in the best possible situation to succeed and get the most out of them. I think with the combo of Cooley & Sleepy at TE, and Santana probably being in the slot this year, DT & MK will have a great chance to shine. The issue is depth, but most teams don't have great depth at most positions.

Check the. "What have done lately?' department. I hope you are right. But that is putting a whole lot of faith in guys that are unproven underfire.

And even if one or the other (and I have doubts about Tryon this year) does rise to the occasion - what about the other CB holes? You are pinning a lot of hopes and dreams on guys that simply have not performed. They may one day but expecting them all to develop at the same time in the same year is a real stretch.

Face it - this is a patchwork secondary. Take off the burgundy, gold rimmed sunglasses for a moment. The CB position is much weaker right now than WR position is.

Don't agree @ all. Do we have the best CB's in the league? No. Are they the worst? No. Before we cast any real judgement on them, lets see how they play in this new system.

I think signing Westbrook will help the passing game more than the running game. With screens to him and Cooley and Davis pushing the seams, it should open things up for Devin Thomas on the outside. Look for Santana to move to the slot. Galloway will be used to stretch the field and Kelly is the redzone guy. I think one WR will be used simply as a returner. If these guys do not produce, Shanny will look for someone to get cut or think real hard about TO.

I agree w/ all of this. I was not that excited to sign Westbrook for a while, but I have changed my mind. If he can stay healthy, he would totally change our team. I think Shanny will really look hard @ TO also.

When we signed Mike Furrey, some said we should use the younger wr and Shanny said we did not have enough healthy players to run the teams.

I just noticed on Yahoo and Wikipedia that Marques Hagans is listed as injured/IR... Can't find anything about it. Anybody know what's going on with him?

Julio Jones or AJ Green will be available next years draft.

There's a good chance Green will go in the top 8 picks. If we're picking that high we need to be thinking QB. I already think we should be thinking QB in the first for 2011 or 2012 because those QB classes will be historically good.

As for Julio Jones, he's a good player but he hasn't really done all that much at the collegiate level. So far, Jonathan Baldwin and Green are far better prospects and I would probably take Michael Floyd over Jones too. Jones is going to need a big year because he's not as fast or strong as Baldwin is, he's not as good a route runner as Floyd and Green are, and his hands aren't nearly as good as Green's. If we went WR in the first next year, I'd hope we get either Baldwin or Green.

Still I'd much rather come home with Jake Locker, Andrew Luck, or Blaine Gabbert than any of those receivers. And there are a lot of great defenders I'd rank ahead of them too. Plus we need to be searching for a RB. We've got a lot of needs, I'm praying Kelly and Thomas have big years.

I'm not that worried about the WR's.

Its obviously not the strongest department, but if the OL plays 25% better than last year, Mcnabb and the the WR's will have more time to work with and give better results.

The running game should also be better, opening it up for the pass.

We have a fit Cooley/Davis combination combination at TE and that will take some of the pressure of the WR's.

Add to this a better Offensive strategy, a better QB, a fired up Moss, Thomas and Kelly improving (which they should do) and just an overall better and more positive 'feeling' in camp will mean a better performance by the WR's.

I think, lol........

DT had a couple of nice games last year where he seemed to acctually be a playmaker. MK is still very unproven, but I think the 3rd WR role will fit him fine where he will have the nickel DB covering him giving him some opportunity and a chance for confidence. DT already seems to have some confidence about him. As others have pointed out, the point where the majority of WR's take that next step is between their 2nd and 3rd year. The skins have 2 second round picks invested in them and as such the two need to be given every opportunity to get playing time and experience to have an opportunity to develop. I think next year is where you begin to really consider significant alterations in the starting line up and playing time if the development doesn't occur. I happen to still be very positive about both of the young pass catchers particularly given the fact that Fred Davis is the man and Cooley will be back healthy and motivated. The FO can't perform miracles with the personell overnight. It will be two to three years until Shannahan has all his people completely in place.

DT had a couple of nice games last year where he seemed to acctually be a playmaker. MK is still very unproven, but I think the 3rd WR role will fit him fine where he will have the nickel DB covering him giving him some opportunity and a chance for confidence. DT already seems to have some confidence about him. As others have pointed out, the point where the majority of WR's take that next step is between their 2nd and 3rd year. The skins have 2 second round picks invested in them and as such the two need to be given every opportunity to get playing time and experience to have an opportunity to develop. I think next year is where you begin to really consider significant alterations in the starting line up and playing time if the development doesn't occur. I happen to still be very positive about both of the young pass catchers particularly given the fact that Fred Davis is the man and Cooley will be back healthy and motivated. The FO can't perform miracles with the personell overnight. It will be two to three years until Shannahan has all his people completely in place.

It amazes me what passes for a "nice game' with regard to MK and DT. The NO game was good for DT, but his only other decent game was four receptions for 46 yards against Philly, and 35 of those yards came on a single play. So the remaining three catches were for 11 yards. If you look at the top 15 receivers last year, and go back to their first and second years, the only receivers that are close to MK and DT in futility were the UDFAs such as Miles Austin and Wes Welker.

There's a good chance Green will go in the top 8 picks. If we're picking that high we need to be thinking QB. I already think we should be thinking QB in the first for 2011 or 2012 because those QB classes will be historically good.

As for Julio Jones, he's a good player but he hasn't really done all that much at the collegiate level. So far, Jonathan Baldwin and Green are far better prospects and I would probably take Michael Floyd over Jones too. Jones is going to need a big year because he's not as fast or strong as Baldwin is, he's not as good a route runner as Floyd and Green are, and his hands aren't nearly as good as Green's. If we went WR in the first next year, I'd hope we get either Baldwin or Green.

Still I'd much rather come home with Jake Locker, Andrew Luck, or Blaine Gabbert than any of those receivers. And there are a lot of great defenders I'd rank ahead of them too. Plus we need to be searching for a RB. We've got a lot of needs, I'm praying Kelly and Thomas have big years.

big reason for Julio not putting up big numbers is the type of offense ran in Alabama. and the type of Qb's that they've had. there offense runs through Ingram and Richardson and doesn't ask the qb to make any type of deep route throws just basic check down and things like that. He gets a bubble screen every now and then and busts it for a big gain.

It seems to me neither Thomas nor Kelley got many opportunities with Zorn. He seemed a bit biased because they were younger players. - Maybe his old school QB instincts kicking in? - Lets see how the new coaching staff feels about them come the end of camp.

Brown is coming off season ending injury

I may be wrong, but I thought I read (no I don't have a link) that Brown was physically able to play halfway through the year, but the current IR rules prevented him from doing so.

When we signed Mike Furrey, some said we should use the younger wr and Shanny said we did not have enough healthy players to run the teams.

Right, but I'm trying to find out about Hagans specifically. Now on the current roster for the Redskins on Wikipedia, it now shows him completely off the roster while his personal page shows him as a Redskin. Yahoo shows him as 'waived/injured' with the injury not disclosed, not on the active roster and still a Redskin on his personal page. The Redskins.com page him as an active player...

I keep an Excel sheet with the current roster info, but can't find anything on him...

It seems to me neither Thomas nor Kelley got many opportunities with Zorn. He seemed a bit biased because they were younger players. - Maybe his old school QB instincts kicking in? - Lets see how the new coaching staff feels about them come the end of camp.

I think this had more to do with Zorn putting his job fate in the hands of vets rather than mistake-prone youngsters.

As I said in my previous post, I don't think MK & DT got very good coaching last year. In fact I seem to remember all of the bashing of the WR coaches (rightfully so imo) so that has to be factored in. That combined with a horrible OL and JC being at QB led to both of them underachieving.

Something else for everyone to keep in mind here, many receivers don't put up numbers until their 3rd or 4th seasons. Jerry Rice is one of the exceptions, but that's Jerry Rice. Michael Irvin didn't do squat his first three seasons, so have some patience with them.

so have some patience with them.

I have had my patience with them.... To me they don't have a choice to develop for another year. It's put up or shut up. It's time to give them a lot more reps at 2 and 3. They need to prove they belong in this league and if they can't hold any of those two spots this year. They need to get out so we can move on.

I have had my patience with them.... To me they don't have a choice to develop for another year. It's put up or shut up. It's time to give them a lot more reps at 2 and 3. They need to prove they belong in this league and if they can't hold any of those two spots this year. They need to get out so we can move on.

I agree there should definitely be improvement with both of them from last year, my point is I don't think anyone should write them off because of what's happened the last two seasons.

i like our recievers more than Hank Baskett, Freddie Mitchell, Todd Pinkston, etc.

Why?

McNabb is clearly the key here. Hopefully he's still got enough in the tank to carry another team with a lot of nuthin at WR. It would be nice if we could add maybe one decent WR to our corps, but we're running out of time. At least we've got Cooley and Davis. They may end up carrying the air attack this year.

Just a few play's from last year of DT. It's enough to keep me excited about him having a break out year!. DT's playing time really starting going up toward the end of the season and he was also getting better every week too. So cheers to DT in hopes he steps it up to be our 2 bye week one!..:koolaid:

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VIzrVZYKG0&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VIzrVZYKG0&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOL5hK66Blc&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOL5hK66Blc&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mMaKi2tE5E&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mMaKi2tE5E&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

Right, but I'm trying to find out about Hagans specifically. Now on the current roster for the Redskins on Wikipedia, it now shows him completely off the roster while his personal page shows him as a Redskin. Yahoo shows him as 'waived/injured' with the injury not disclosed, not on the active roster and still a Redskin on his personal page. The Redskins.com page him as an active player...

I keep an Excel sheet with the current roster info, but can't find anything on him...

according to Fox Sports transactions, Hagans was IR'd, then waived from IR a few days later.

Archived